“Still a great place” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Del Rey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bali Way
Description: Cuisine inspired by the coastal towns of the Mediterranean. Intuitive service and a beautiful seaside setting. The food is about discovery: the freshest fish, fire grilled steaks, roasted free-range poultry, citrus, olives and market fresh vegetables all bursting with flavor. The luscious desserts, sophisticated cocktails and wine complete your journey. Escape to the good life at Cafe del Rey
NYC, NY
“Still a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

We have been visiting this area for over 15 years and go here nearly every visit. It never disappoints us. Food, service, ambiance, all have stood the test of time when others have deteriorated. Cafe Dey Rey remains at the top of our list for our next visit to the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

LA
“tiny tiny ....portions!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

I ate there last night with two elderly friends and I have to say the portions were so small it was embarassing. We all left there hungry. We are used to modern cuisine - indeed my two friends frequently dine at The White House, but this was ridiculous. The service wasn't very good and the price too much. Just so you know, 4 tiny lettuce leaves and a slice of carrot on a plate does not constitute a salad. Don't bother.............

Huntington Beach
“Cafe Del Rey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

Everything I tasted was wonderful. Chef Jason has outdone himself with a wonderful menu. The selection ranges fresh fish to lamb. The seared ahi was served to perfection. I never tasted better (squash) ravioli. I'm making plans to go back again just for the raviolis. Don't forget desert.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Southern California
“Cafe del Rey”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We ordered brunch at Cafe del Rey on Sunday, Sept. 20. The service was excellent--our server attentive, helpful, but not intrusive. I wish I could say the same for the food. For four adults and a three-year old, the total bill was $214.00. We do not mind paying for good food, but the food we ordered was not good at all. In fact, the best part of the meal was the mimosas, which we needed to be able to eat the food. It was bland, tasteless, pretentious, and very over-priced. An example of "California cuisine" at its worst, where the presentation counts for more than the taste or quality of the food.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good food, outstanding service but very loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

We ate here once before and enjoyed it so we went back on a recent trip to LA. Service here is outstanding. Very attentive without being overbearing. We observed an obvious regular and I was impressed as it appeared that they made a number of adjustments to menu items. But that is what you do for people that are your regulars.

Our waiter was not afraid to share his opinion when asked and we were not disappointed with any of our food. My husband had oysters and shrimp and said both were excellent. I enjoyed an apple cauliflower soup. We both ordered salmon for a main course and shared a deseret that we had seen go by earlier. Choclolate something. All was good and presented well. The view of the harbor is beautiful.

The noise level is my only issue. It is quite loud. I would probably not go back but only because there are othere restaurants in the area that I want to try. But I would definately recommend it to friends traveling to that area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere