“What happened to my favorite hotel? How did it go so bad?” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Dining Credit
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Nashville, TN
“What happened to my favorite hotel? How did it go so bad?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was my 3rd visit to this Marriott. The last time was 2 years ago. It used to be my favorite hotel, now it sucks!!!. First thing you notice is the service. There is none. The front desk clerks are impersonal and there was no Elite conceige the whole time we were there. They don't need it anymore because there are no amenities to be had. If you need the internet you better have a smart phone because wifi and internet cost. There is no gift shop anymore. No complimentary bikes. After you check in, you are on your own.

The hotel is filthy, the hallways are just covered in stains and you can smell it. The tables in elevator areas probably haven't been cleaned in weeks. Window & window seals dirty & dusty. If you stand in the lobby and try just to look out the glass doors they covered in smudges and dirt. You can barely see out. The glow lounge the furniture is ragged and we were there 4 days and same cigarette butts were still on the ground. This place use to be sparkling.

Our room was clean when we check in, but that was the last time. The only way we could tell that housekeeping had been there was to check to see we had new towels. If we left a pillow on the floor they would make the bed and leave the pillow on the floor where it laid. If you left a straw wrapper on the coffee table they would not touch the coffee table. The tables in my room were not wiped down the whole time we were there. Every day it was something, no coffee cups, no glasses, no liner for ice bucket. We didn't have a room service menu and when I went down to get one from the front desk, I was told they would have housekeeping print one off and bring it to my room. There were three girls at the front desk not doing anything and they wouldn't print one off. I told them to forget it. I didn't want to go wait in my room for god knows how long for someone to bring one. We went out to eat.

Unfortunately Venice Beach & Santa Monica is following the same path as the hotel. The beach is clean but that's the only public area that didn't have trash everywhere. The bathrooms are the worst things I have ever seen. There were always at least 7 or more people in line per bathroom so plan on spending at least 20 minutes in line and oh my god if and when you got in there' dirty diapers, crap, wet stuff it was just horrible, bring your own toilet paper and learn to stand up to go if you are a lady. No other bathrooms to use. Stores and other vendors did not have public bathrooms to use and I can't blame them.

I love California and we hope to retire there, but I'm done with this hotel and Santa Monica. It's time for a new destination.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Manager at Marriott Marina del Rey, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I am sending you a private message now so we can follow up.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is off and it needs a management refresh. When we arrived, the valets were extremely aggressive in getting us out of our vehicle and racing through the pricing and procedures for valet parkung, without any obvious reason. The lobby is OK, relatively recently redone, but the clerk essentially scolded me about the importance of not losing my elite breakfast coupon and then claimed that a room with a view of the harbor qualified as an elite upgrade since we would be on the "quiet side of our Marina" (?). The rooms and hallways are in dire need of a repaint/remodel. Scuffs on all the hallways, dimly fluourescently lit, and worn frayed carpet. The AC was very old and labored loudly to keep the room cool, which it failed to do. Our room literally had a huge tear in the curtains and the shampoo/conditioners in our room were half-used, which we complained about. The AV ports on the Marriott desk were not connected to the TV. Room service didn't have several things on the menu, claiming there was a printing error on the meny and housekeeping barged into our room a split second after her knock. We were then given a hard time about late checkout, and waited a good 25 minutes for bell service. Valets were equally crazed about departure, and we witnessed a shouting match between the valet manager and a cab driver who apparently didn't pull up to the curb quickly enough.

This place looks nice on the website but is poorly managed for a Marriott and needs serious assistance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mike M, Manager at Marriott Marina del Rey, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback, and I am sending you a private message to follow up about your issues with your stay.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived at the Marriott after 22hrs travelling [ from Europe] to start our honeymoon. From the moment we got out of the taxi till we left 3 days later I could not find fault with anyone. The service is first class , The public areas of the hotel are fabulous but the rooms could do with an upgrade. but this did not effect our stay as to us it is all about service . I would like to say a special thanks to our server [ Bianca ] in Stones restaurant , where we had a lovely meal upon arriving, she was simply the best. We will definitely be back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Manager at Marriott Marina del Rey, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We strive to provide the highest quality service possible, and I'm delighted to hear that our staff made such a great impression on you. I'll be sure to pass your compliments on to Bianca. You'll be happy to know that we are starting room renovations in the fall, so I hope you will come stay with us again after they are complete.
Glendale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went to Marina Del Rey to see some fireworks for the 4th. We went with the Marriott as it seemed closest to the show. We also paid for the concierge floor for a better view and the morning coffee, etc. The view part worked out great, but there was a notice that the concierge service would be closed from the 4th - 7th. I am not sure why I had to pay the extra and not get the benefits. Overall, the hotel is what you would expect; decent & clean room and grounds. This would be a good location for someone who has a layover at LAX. It is much better than staying right outside the airport for a $25 cab ride.

Room Tip: Marina side - boats, Santa Monica side - coast at a distance.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our view of the 4th of July fireworks! We are privileged to be located so close to the marina and all that Marina del Rey offers. I am sending you a private message in order to discuss the concierge lounge issue – please reach out so we can discuss.
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed there last week and had a nice stay. The staff upgraded us as we were on our honeymoon and gave us complimentary breakfast. The room was big, clean and nice. The bed was comfortable and the shower was pretty good. All members of the staff were friendly and helpful. We will return again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Manager at Marriott Marina del Rey, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Congratulations again and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you again!
Haslemere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for a break between two long night flights. It is 15 mins from LAX by taxi (around $20). Whilst the hotel building is pretty much what you expect from a mid-range chain hotel, the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and the beds were as comfortable as we have encountered anywhere. The front rooms look out over the vast marina, which is pleasant to wander round. Venice Beach is a few minutes walk away, with plenty of eating and drinking establishments - though seemingly geared to youngsters. Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and Hollywood are easily accessible. Food in the hotel was surprisingly good, and reasonably priced. We would certainly return if we needed a night or two in LA.

Room Tip: We paid $20 extra for a marina view room with a small balcony, and it was worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us - we appreciate it and are so glad you had a nice stay. Other travelers will find your tips about the area very helpful. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again soon!
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My last stay here was in 2007 for a conference, and I looked forward to spending time outside around the fire after dark. At check-in, the clerk and bellman were friendly and helpful, and I got a room with a great view of the beach and the Hollywood sign.

A friend came to join me for dinner in the lobby restaurant, but dinner was a bit of a disappointment: Had to send back my steak for being seriously undercooked, and the brussels sprouts were like rocks. Dessert outside by the fire was just what I wanted it to be (except there are cigarette butts in the fire pits).

The room itself was clean but a felt a bit warn. The 'balcony' is a sliding glass door with about six inches of standing space, so don't expect to be able to do anything but stand out there, but it's nice to have the door open to catch the ocean breeze.

Met some friends for a drink in the lobby bar the next day, which was nice - It's a wide open space but still managed to feel private.

Room Tip: Ask for the beach view over the harbor view for a sweeping vista. There is a concierge level that ap...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Mike M, Manager at Marriott Marina del Rey, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We're happy that we could have you back for some outdoor relaxation in Marina del Rey! We're very proud of our Glow Lounge, and we're glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your review and feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Marriott Marina del Rey? Share your experiences!