“Stay away” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Marina
“Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

This hotel is cheap, so I guess you should not expect too much - but our stay here was beyond bizarre. First we got a suite which was basically just a big empty room - no sofa or anything you'd expect in a suite. Then we had to deal with numerous problems during our stay. The toilet didn't flush, the shower wasn't working - it was a mess.

The staff was overall very helpful and tried to make the best out of the situation - but was heavily overworked. In fact most of the time there seemed to be only one staff person responsible for everything at the site, checking in new guests while trying to deal with the problems others had. One of the staffers told me that the hotel owner didn't hire a general manager since the last one left a couple of months ago in order to save money ...

Saving money seemed to be the motto of the breakfast as well. Everything was served on styrofoam plates, and the selection was terrible. The waffles were a nice idea, but couln't really save the day.

Our stay at the hotel took a turn into the bizarre the second night when the owner fired the one staff person that helped us the most in front of my eyes. I tried to voive my opinion about the staffer being very helpful, and got the response: "I don't have to listen to you." People should stay away from this hotel - eventually they'll have to listen.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

We stayed in SF for three nights then came to Monterey for aquarium/whale watch. I wanted to stay in Monterey/Carmel proper, but we had the kids and most of the romantic places would not have been worth it with kids or required a three night stay.

So my wife found a comfort inn in nearby Marina, so we went with it. I think we paid $99/nite in July.

The hotel is new. Has really nice exterior. You would not think it's a Comfort Inn from outside. Inside, lobby was small. but clean. Our room was huge (compared to ones in SF that we just left) and clean.

In the morning, the continental breakfast was great. Nothing special, but they did have homemade waffles (which I love), toast, fruit, danishes, juice. At breakfast we heard many guests complaining of no hot water and lots of problems. The electricity did go out in a part of the lobby and caused the waffle maker to not cook right and make the batter stick ;).

But other than that we experienced no problems. Water was hot. Carpets seemed clean to me, but there was a whole wing of the hotel closed off with plastic and fans blowing in there (hmmm...).

Anyway, we probably just got lucky, but I can't discount many angry guests that we saw (I was probably there at the same time as the other person that recently reviewed the hotel).

I too heard the manager was not coming in which made the guests experiencing problems livid and rightly so. The only people at the hotel was a desk person and cleaning person, both polite, but clueless and just going thru the motions as opposed to being proactive and helping people who were having problems.

Anyway, there is a nice beach a mile down the road that we didn't even know about before arrival but enjoyed. The location was just about 15 minutes from Monterey/Aquarium so it was convenient.

I won't recommend this place, but just leave my comments as is. On our way to the aquarium, we saw an Embassy Suites and also saw a Best Western (which I don't normally stay in, but this one was right on the beach). I just mention those because next trip we will probably check those out first, since they looked nice.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

Stayed at the Comfort Inn on July 22, 2005. After checking in I found that there was no hot water, supposedly because of construction going on. Also the exercise room couldn't be used because of no electricity. Seems they could have told us this at check-in so we had to option of going somewhere else. I witnessed one guest that refused to pay his bill because of no water, dirty toilet, and other poor conditions. The manager stayed off premises to avoid all the complaints so poor desk clerk caught all the flack. I couldn't recommend this place, even though the nearby beach was nice. I was offered a pitiful 10% discount for my trouble. AAA needs to take this hotel off thier 3 star list. I plan to inform them that the Comfort Inn is definitely in bad shape at this time.

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2004

Our king room was very spacious, quiet, and clean, and the staff was nice enough to let us keep our bicycles in the room. There were a good number of options for the free breakfast (bagels, cereal, fruit). The drawback to staying in Marina is that it seems to usually be foggy there, but drive for 10 minutes, and you'll be in sunny Monterey. We were easily able to go to the aquarium and pop over to dinner in Carmel. There is a great bike path from Marina to Monterey as well. All in all, a great value.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2004

The location was great and it wasn't pricey! But the surroundings were unkept. The carpet throughout the hallways and common areas was in great need of cleaning. The continental breakfast was very lacking. The staff was cordial but obviously not enjoying their work. Lacked the amenties that I thought this hotel would provide, such as hairdryers, etc. Large rooms and relatively clean, but the air/heating filters needed to be changed.

SFO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2004

Looking last minute to spend Valentines day in Monterey we were amazed at the overpriced accomodations, On united hotels (great site as it offers a refund with only a 25 dollar charge if cancelled not like hotels and expedia and travelocity)we found this hotel came up when we put in Monterey, but was honest with its proximity. Having our own car we chose the best room for 119 a night , it said king suite, the other rooms were cheaper but only smoking left which we did not want. Anyway the room was huge with a separate bedroom, 2 TV's , microwave, fridge, kitchen and sofa lounge, very clean and modern. And another surprise was the complimentary breakfast, just cereal and toast, tea and juices and fruit, but very pleasant and nice to get the day started. I would defineatly return, even in a king room for 53 a night its great location to Monterey and great value compared to in town. You dont leave feeling like you have overspent!

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!