“Some non-smoking rooms stink badly” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Marina
Healdsburg
“Some non-smoking rooms stink badly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Checking in to this motel took WAY LONGER than expected. Somehow this hotel needs to streamline the check-in process. We stayed here over a weekend with a group of 8 parties. The first room I was assigned to stank like cigarette smoke. As soon as I entered my room, I opened all the windows, turned on the fan to full blast, and left the room for dinner with the hope that the stench would clear. No such luck! So it was back to the infamously slow check-in desk, burning up another 10 minutes. And by the way, the other party who was waiting at check-in was there for the same reason as I -- to switch rooms because of cigarette stench, which aggravated somebody's asthma! We did switch to another non-smoking room, which was this time odor-free. But really? Can't they re-designate those stinky rooms to "smoking?" We all know that cigarette odor will be retained forever in a room, unless all furniture, drywall, carpeting, and furnishings are removed and replaced. Nevertheless, once I was situated in a new, stench-free room, all was good.

On a positive note, breakfast was good. They have the waffle machine to which you add waffle mix, wait 2 minutes, and voila! -- fresh waffles. They have decent scrambled eggs too.

Room Tip: The stinky room was on the third floor, north wing,
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Nice quiet location with nice rooms for the price. Havent stayed in Marina before but found it to be more my style compared to busier (and costlier) Monterey area. Only about 15 miles North of Monterey but the town is more laid back and much smaller but also more modern and convenient. When I am in the Monterey area again this will be one of my first choices. The hotel seems to be out of the way but I actually found that to be a benefit overall.

Room Tip: couldn't say, only stayed here once but I was on the second floor and had no issues
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Burleson, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed here after a day traveling through San Francisco. We checked in later in the evening and had no issues. The room was a little small, but was clean and in good repair. I believe there was a free breakfast, but we didn't take advantage of it. First thing in the morning I walked across the street to the walmart to grab some snacks for the car trip down PCH, then after using the free interenet in the lobby to verify some directions, we headed to Carmel for breakfast at Katy's Place. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again some day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Bad customer service. Front desk guys are creepy. Front desk men one looks like a chinese... He looks at my girl friend's behind. Then, another front desk caucasian guy looking at my girl friend's behind. They are so creepy. Beds have sperm stains. Toilet so filty... Urine stains on toilet bowl. Feces stains on toilet seat. Made me trow up. We had to find clean hotel minus Creepy front desk men.

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stay here to visit relatives in Marina, but would probably choose this location to visit Monterey as well. The price is much lower than those in Monterey and the hotel is clean and comfortable. There is a state beach just a 10 minute walk away in the beautiful dunes. It's only about a 8-10 mile drive to Fisherman's wharf and Cannery Row.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed there two nights because we could not find a hotel last minute in Monterey. I wasn't sure what to expect because the reviews did not seem that good on any of the websites we looked it up on. So I was pleasantly surprised when we got there. The lobby is nice and welcoming. We stayed in an extra large queen room and it was a really big room, compared to the regular rooms. My five year old had plenty of room to move around and being 3 people we were not cramped in there at all. The breakfast was just ok, nothing special. My only complaint is that the temperature control in the room didn't really work. The room felt very stuffy or very cold. There was no really in between. The beds were comfortable, no complaint there. The rooms were nicely decorated, very clean and the bathroom was large with a large vanity top rather than some hotels that have a pedestal sink or small vanity top. The towels were large and soft. The staff were very accommodating and courteous. It was a 10 minute drive to the aquarium and Cannery Row. It's nothing special, but for a night or two, a decent place to stay at a decent price. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are more than a couple, choose the extra large rooms. There is a lot more room and you won...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stay at this hotel a lot (about 20 times a year). I do it because its affordable (fits my work budget) and because its consistent. There is nothing really great about this place, but never anything bad about it either. The gym is OK for a night or two, but nothing to write home about. Someone else in a review mentioned no water cooler. I too thought that was highly annoying. The breakfast is OK but ive had better at other Comfort Inns (a lot better in fact). The staff is always great every time I come. Never had poor service here. The rooms are always pretty clean and the fridge and microwave in the room are really handy when i have to stay for a few days at a time. All in all I think its a fine place to stay as long as you arent expecting a 4-star hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!