“Good for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Marina
Los Angeles, California
“Good for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is in a good location. Right next to a Denny's and a block away from a Walmart. Typical motel 6 room very plain, But clean Bed was comfortable, One thing that drive me crazy about motel 6 is the noise of other guest. Smoking outside running down the halls etc... That is not the hotel fault. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Great place if you just want a clean place to stay. The room seemed completely new. Very clean. I didn't spend much time in the room our the hotel so it worked out well. I'm sure my wife would have been pleased with the cleanliness and condition of the place too.

• Stayed October 2012
san diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I travel with my dogs so I'm looking for dog friendly motels that are in my price range. My cousins and I decided to have a reunion in Monterey where we grew up. She usually stays in Motel 6 on Fremont but she said the rooms were smaller than the one in Marina. So the three of us met in Marina. My cousin also has 2 dogs plus a bird and my other cousin didn't have any pets. She had to wait 3 hrs. for a room and I had to wait also. We did reserve these rooms early and still had to wait. My room wasn't even cleaned. Finally they moved me to a clean room a little bit later. The toilet paper is so thin if you blow your nose you leave bits of paper on your face. Don't even think about using it for what it's really for. We left to have something to eat, I get back and can't get into my room. Because they moved me but never changed the room number in the computer so it appears that I didn't pay. Back to the office to resolve this issue. The next day the same thing. Got locked out, again. What the heck is going on?? I don't really know but it's annoying to keep running to the office to figure it out. My cousin's bill had my name on it which was annoying as well. When they cleaned the room I didn't get all the towels I needed. The showers were good and hot. The beach at marina wasn't dog friendly so you couldn't take the dogs there. They had a special spot for the dogs to use the bathroom. That was ok. Nice courtyard to relax and visit with your traveler companions. They do not have a time line for check in, I was told...but they certainly have a check out time.?? I don't believe reservations made any difference, because we still had to wait a very long time for the supposed reserved room.

Room Tip: If you have pets make sure you get a ground level room and don't forget to bring your own soap a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

So I noticed a lot of ill reviews about this place and I think everyone needs to take it easy. You pretty much get what you pay for. I stayed to tonight and it was well worth it. After driving all day we stopped here for two reasons, because motel 6 is always pet friendly and we always travel with our dog and it was by far the most inexpensive motel around. For sixty bucks we got a bed, shower and tv, this is all we needed. You can't expect to much from a motel 6 but they always get the job done. I never mess with making a reservation and I never have a problem getting a room. So for the pet friendly traveler on a budget, this is a perfect place for a comfortable nights sleep. Safe travels!

• Stayed September 2012
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived around 9pm without a reservation. It took about 20 minutes to check in. They give you the towels and soap at the front desk. As I was being checked in, the lady kept rubbing my towel back and forth on the dirty desk totally unaware she was making my towel so dirty. I had to ask for another towel. The room however was clean. There are definitely no frills to this hotel, just a bed and bathroom basically.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Riverside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

First off there are NO microwaves or fridges in any room. There is barely towels, which are more like sandpaper. I actually got scratched by the washcloth. Your room MAY be ready by 5 pm, but sometimes it may be closer to 10pm. Reservations are a joke. The motel people tell you to reserve through them, the 800 phone line tells you to never reserve at the motel as they easily can screw it up. When we started to use this motel in the early 90's, it was fine. It has steadily gone downhill in the last 5 years. Some of the staff is fine, but some act like they are doing you a favor just checking you in. Warning...just because you have a reservation number, call the 800 number and confirm. My reservation was canceled somehow by their computer, and if I hadn't called to confirm I wouldn't have discovered this until I got there this August (2012). And most weekends during the summer the rooms are now over $100 a night...not worth it by any means.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at Motel 6 Marina in July and were very disappointed by our experience.

First, we arrived to be told there were no non-smoking rooms available, even though we reserved our room in February and requested a non-smoking room. They then told us if we returned between 6&7pm they might be able to give us a non-smoking room if any cancellations occurred. You would think non-smoking rooms would be dealt first-come-first-served depending on when guests requested them, but no, for some reason this Motel 6 has a rather backwards system.

They then tried to charge us the 'Special Event' rate, as there was a Moto GP event occurring in nearby Monterey/Laguna Seca. We had booked the room on an advanced rate online; had we not taken our confirmation with us they would have tried to charge us the more expensive 'Special Event' rate, which just made us feel like they were trying to rip us off.

They eventually moved us to a disable access non-smoking room which, although very basic, was clean and the bed fairly comfortable. The TV was not tuned in properly, the curtains let in a lot of light and the walls were paper thin.

Considering we got charged $115 incl. tax for one night's stay when we paid less for a one night stay in a a great motel in Santa Barbara (a more affluent area) is insulting. When we return to the USA we will not be using Motel 6 whatsoever.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Monterey - Marina? Share your experiences!