“A gem by the ocean” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“A gem by the ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great food in an unlikely place, Marina California. I had a Mediterranean salad and French Onion Soup. Staff was friendly. Outside was unassuming. With only fast food in the area, this was a nice option. We would not have known about it or even recognized it from the road unless the hotel recommended the restaurant. Usually a recommendation from a kid at the front desk of a Holiday Inn Express comes with a bit of uncertainty, but this recommendation was welcome.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Controlling of their customers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Other reviewers commented on the look from the outside compared to the menu and food on the inside. I was one of those who was fooled and just walked in, didn't see a posted menu (wasn't really concerned from the outside appearance that I should check for pricing). We were seated and the "attentive" service began. Menus were given, water was brought over, and we were off. The first thing I noticed was that it was a "dinner'" menu, which meant everything was expensive. No sandwiches or anything that might reduce the ticket. In fact, the menu even stated that no one got to sit in the restaurant who didn't spend at least eight dollars. Then we (my daugher and I) noticed that they had almost nothing for a vegetarian (steak and seafood primarily), so she ordered a fettucini alfredo which only came with chicken. When my daughter declined the chicken we were told that there would be no substitutions, and that she would be charged the full price for the meat based pasta. The waiter did say "I suppose we could throw in some broccolli", but my daughter declined. I had a lasagna which was apparently microwaved up for the occasion (as was the fettucini). There was no side salad, and very little bread. Beer was very expensive as well (only offered premiums).

I felt fleeced by this restaurant and would never return. I would have walked out early on, but that would have embarrased my daughter, so we stayed for the whole fleecing. Our order was almost $50 with tip.

Unless you like expensive, controlling places to eat with little vegie fare, stay away.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento CA
“Dinner for 5”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Had a crew of 4 and myself to feed. Dishes was recommended, but the outside appearance was not the most inviting. Do not be fooled: this is a great place to have dinner.
The staff (I think they are the owners) were very attentive. Their recommendations were right on: we had fresh salmon and steak filets with a peppercorn sauce. All excellent. The calamari appetizers and good selection of wines topped off the meal 5 people, good meal, appetizers, wine $200, well worth it.

Visited July 2012
Watsonville, CA
“Coffee shop at Bistro prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Outside of the fact they grind their coffee beans fresh, I wasn't impressed. The service at a quiet hour between lunch and dinner, only a few customers, was very slow. I had the Cesar salad with blackened salmon. Trouble was, it really wasn't a Cesar salad, only a bed of romaine and some dressing. No anchovies and not cheese, just a piece of fish on romaine for 17 bucks. My wife enjoyed her meal, but didn't love it.
It's a very ordinary restaurant with prices 50% higher than what they should be. I won't go back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marina, California
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I had a wonderful lunch with superb fish in a butter caper sauce, great rice and salad.

Visited November 2011