“Great Room, Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay

You added Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   416 Reservation Rd, Marina, CA 93933 (Formerly Days Inn Marina)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Marina
Sonoma, California
“Great Room, Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as an alternative to the overpriced rooms in Monterey. We too, tried to check in at the mini mart but were quickly and politely redirected to the office behind the store. There is also a gas station in front of the motel. We had no problems with the mini mart or gas station. We had room 116 which is a king on the first floor in the back corner. The room was spacious and clean. The bed was firm. It had a flat panel tv with basic cable and the wifi worked well. The bathroom was very clean and there was plenty of hot water for a bath or shower. Other amenities included micro-fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board, hair dryer and clock radio. The staff was friendly and the owner, Sarah, greeted guests at breakfast. For such a compact area, there were more choices than other reviewers have stated. These include cereal, yogurt, bagels, waffles, toast, boiled eggs, juice, milk, tea and two kinds of coffee. True the motel is on the far side of town and is located behind a gas station but compared to other comparable motels in Monterey we found it to be a bargain. Marina is located 15 minutes from Monterey and was a nice low-key town to stay in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank You for the kind review. As the new owners we have been working hard to to improve our customers experience. We appreciate your details on our continental breakfast, Sarah has worked hard to provide quality and variety. We have recently purchased a large commercial washer and dryer to get all of our washed items sparkling clean while saving energy. We have converted our room lighting to LED lights where possible and we have upgraded our wireless network. Hope to see you again soon.

Thank you for staying with us at Howard Johnson Marina.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you only need a place to sleep, this is it. The room was ok, nothing amazing but not bad either. Like previous reviewers have mentioned, this hotel is also a gas station/mini mart and there is a point where you don't know what is going on.

The location is way far from the freeway, for that price you might as well choose a different place and stay closer to freeway/beach.

When we booked it it said breakfast included, turns out you had to go to the mini mart and after we checked out he said we could grab a coffee and a fruit or pastry and that is breakfast. Don't expect much.

Now, when we booked the room I told them to charge my cc and advised them my husband would be checking in. He checked in and I checked out and that was the end of it (so I thought). This placed charged me twice for a one night stay and I attempted multiple times to get this straighten out but they insisted they had only charged me once. After a month I finally decided to let the cc figure it out b/c I didn't want to keep wasting my time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
As the new owners of the property we have worked hard to get our continental breakfast area into operation. I am sorry that it was not ready during the time of your stay. I could not tell how your room was booked from your review, but I am sure if it had been booked thru Howard Johnson directly the billing issue would have been resolved immediately. I will email you a link to see if we can help in this matter.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Hotel was clean and nicely furnished, However it also hosts a gas station and mini mart. It was a bit confusing as a sign indicated you check in at the mini mart, but in actuality the office was poorly marked around the corner. I have to admit I was right next to the office and could hardly get wifi to show up and when it did it was really slow.
Weak Shower heads made for mediocre shower.
Other issues were the multiple dogs across the street that would howl when an ambulance would go by. Sort of like the kennel from hell when what sounded like 20 dogs started to howl. The other issue was the chair outside our room, became the smoking and chatting chair of locals visiting the mini mart. I woke up an found an ash tray of butts and a few beer cans.
Breakfast was minimal, yogurt, banana, cereal, and cheap packaged danish. The coffee was served through the Mini mart and you had to go out of the small office are and to the mini mart and back. I really give the place a 2.5 stars. But it was clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We keep our motel clean and try to provide good service to our customers. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Been to Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!