“Won't go back!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay

You added Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   416 Reservation Rd, Marina, CA 93933 (Formerly Days Inn Marina)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Marina
San Francisco, California
“Won't go back!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you only need a place to sleep, this is it. The room was ok, nothing amazing but not bad either. Like previous reviewers have mentioned, this hotel is also a gas station/mini mart and there is a point where you don't know what is going on.

The location is way far from the freeway, for that price you might as well choose a different place and stay closer to freeway/beach.

When we booked it it said breakfast included, turns out you had to go to the mini mart and after we checked out he said we could grab a coffee and a fruit or pastry and that is breakfast. Don't expect much.

Now, when we booked the room I told them to charge my cc and advised them my husband would be checking in. He checked in and I checked out and that was the end of it (so I thought). This placed charged me twice for a one night stay and I attempted multiple times to get this straighten out but they insisted they had only charged me once. After a month I finally decided to let the cc figure it out b/c I didn't want to keep wasting my time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
As the new owners of the property we have worked hard to get our continental breakfast area into operation. I am sorry that it was not ready during the time of your stay. I could not tell how your room was booked from your review, but I am sure if it had been booked thru Howard Johnson directly the billing issue would have been resolved immediately. I will email you a link to see if we can help in this matter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Hotel was clean and nicely furnished, However it also hosts a gas station and mini mart. It was a bit confusing as a sign indicated you check in at the mini mart, but in actuality the office was poorly marked around the corner. I have to admit I was right next to the office and could hardly get wifi to show up and when it did it was really slow.
Weak Shower heads made for mediocre shower.
Other issues were the multiple dogs across the street that would howl when an ambulance would go by. Sort of like the kennel from hell when what sounded like 20 dogs started to howl. The other issue was the chair outside our room, became the smoking and chatting chair of locals visiting the mini mart. I woke up an found an ash tray of butts and a few beer cans.
Breakfast was minimal, yogurt, banana, cereal, and cheap packaged danish. The coffee was served through the Mini mart and you had to go out of the small office are and to the mini mart and back. I really give the place a 2.5 stars. But it was clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We keep our motel clean and try to provide good service to our customers. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

New furnishing , new flat screen tv ,conntinental breakfast but, wifi not working It was okay we had pleasant stay with my wife.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We think the Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay is a great location at a great price. I have been working on balancing the internet service and I am sorry that you experienced difficulties. At one time during your stay we had over 60 connections and I did not have the bandwidth properly allocated. We do have direct connections in the rooms and the front desk has ethernet cables.

Again thank you for the kind review and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay

Address: 416 Reservation Rd, Marina, CA 93933 (Formerly Days Inn Marina)
Location: United States > California > Marina
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Shuttle Bus service Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Marina
Hotel Class:2 star — Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.