“Not what I expected for a 3 star ” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Marina
Corte Madera, California
“Not what I expected for a 3 star ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Friendly staff which is a positive. I booked as a deal through Priceline so I was unaware there was no fridge or microwave avail. Standard in almost every hotel now.
Freeway noise is nonstop except about 2 to 3 am.
Breakfast is a meat eaters delight. A vegan is out of luck.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was on business at CSU Monterey Bay, and they booked me here. I take it they got a good deal.

Other than the free Wifi being fast and easy to use, I have nothing good to say about this place. It's right off a busy highway and you can hear the traffic constantly (yes, even if you ask for a room away from the road). The bed was so soft I woke up with an aching back. The room is freezing and there is no thermostat. I had to crawl under a table to plug in the reading lamp. The TV is small and gets a handful of stations.

There is no restaurant and nothing easily accessible nearby, either. You'll have to drive around in a strange town and the options aren't great there, either. I ended up driving through a Jack in the Box and eating tacos back in my room. The place feels a bit unsafe, too.

Worst of all, though, was the indifferent service, bordering on surly, really. The front desk clerk wasn't friendly at all. I ended up carrying my luggage up three flights of stairs (no elevator) because she didn't bother to advise me where to park. The TV remote in my room was dead, and when I called the front desk, she told me to "bring the remote to the front desk and I'll give you some batteries." Really? No one can even bring me batteries--or better still, make sure the remote is working in the first place? When I took the remote to the front desk, I handed it to her, and she looked stunned. I feel quite certain she expected me to install the batteries myself.

"Beach property"? I guess. There's a beach about a five-minute drive away. There's no ocean view or anything.

I have one more night here and I'm seriously considering using my own Marriott points in Monterey so that I don't have to stay at this icky place another minute.

Room Tip: Forget it. There aren't any.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sturgis, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Great hotel to relax after a day of touring Monterey Bay. The staff was really friendly and couldn't do enough to make your stay great. The rooms were clean and really spacious. The hotel is really close to the beach, near the college and Cannery Row is just 10 miles down the road. A great value for such a nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I booked this room through Priceline's Express Deals, as it compared it to Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard, etc. The hotel is filthy, window screens do not fit and some looked to have been compromised. There were dirty pajama pants hanging in the bathroom upon our arrival. Perhaps this is their version of a mint on the pillow??? Either the vacuum is broke, or the room was not vacuumed. The breakfast was fine until I saw an employee in the kitchen area touching food with bare hands. The staff seemed totally disinterested in anything. Sooooo disappointing!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed here for a week and the staff were awesome. The hot tub was just what I needed after a day of touring the area. My room was done up every day.The rooms are quite big so I could sprawl out all over the place. My room came with a refrigerator and microwave which came in handy for snacks and drinks. The beds are very comfortable also. The location is great,not far from Monterey, castroville, Prunedale. Hollister, carmel, just some of the places close by. Marina state beach is just minutes away. Just an overall nice and pleasant place to stay. I really like this hotel. Oh yeah and the breakfast was always filling. Plenty to eat before starting my day back touring. One day I went to a place called Coffee Mia's and it had great coffee and breakfast. Great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the front desk may be a little more quieter from the hwy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Applegate, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

There are times when you just want a nice clean place to lay your head. This is it, and a great price too.
Just a short distance to the beach on Monterey Bay and just 11 miles to Cannery Row, this is a nice comfortable place to stay. In the morning there is coffee, tea, hard boiled or scrambled eggs, juice, bagels and pastries, cold cereal, hot sausage and waffles with plenty of fixins. There is also fresh fruit. AND it is all included in the price.
Need something special? We found the management and staff more than willing to make your stay a pleasant one.
The bathroom was nice and large AND HEATED.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Citrus Heights, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I love this hotel!! Right next to the beach, excellent service, great rooms and you can't beat the price. The staff is extremely helpful, kind, friendly and they always make me feel like I'm home when I'm away from home. I love this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Beach Dunes Inn? Share your experiences!