“A nice surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Marina
San Jose
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2006

I stayed here with my wife in November '06. I don't recall the exact number of the room, but it did overlook the lobby. Unlike previous posts, we encountered no noise problems or disruptions. In fact, we found the room to be spacious and clean. This is perhaps the best HI I've ever rented. The breakfast was also much more than we expected also.

This is a great place for a family to stay, and a great place to find an affordable option just outside of the high lodging areas of Carmel and Monterey. Just a short drive down Hwy 1 still gets you to those places, but we saved nearly $100/night by staying in Marina. i will definitely stay here in the future.

• Liked — clean, spacious room and breakfast
  • Disliked — no disappoinments
  • Tips/Secrets — stay during off peak months
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

We have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years during the Monterey Jazz Festival in September. We decided to try this hotel after feeling overcharged for very small rooms in Monterey proper. The hotel is very clean, with nice size rooms that are only about three years old, and it is conveniently located. The walls in the rooms are a little thin, but we think this is a very solid property. Nice continental breakfast that will definitely fill you up. You are literally a 30 second drive from the beach and about 7-10 minutes from downtown Monterey.

As other's have mentioned, this is a business hotel so it is not the ideal place for a romantic getaway. All in all a very nice property that we will continue to stay in each year when we are at the jazz festival.

LA Visitors

• Liked — Rooms are very nice, modern and reasonably priced.
  • Disliked — Thin walls in hotel
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

This is a great place to stay in the Monterey Bay area. I stayed in room 329, it was very quiet and clean. The hotel staff is incredibly friendly. This Holiday Inn Express is just a short drive away from all of the toursit attractions that Monterey has to offer. If you are considering staying at this Holiday Inn Express, or the one in Seaside, this location is definitely cleaner, and much more quiet.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Highland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

My two young sons and I were on vacation when we stayed at this hotel. It was very affordable and the rooms were nice and clean. The room had a microwave and refrigerator as a part of a small kitchen type area. We had a great view of the park across the street and could see the ducks on the pond. The only downside...we were in room 315 which is right above the lobby atrium. It got loud at times. The hotel is only a 10 minute drive from Monterey, so you can still enjoy all the activities in Monterey without paying for a high priced hotel. I will definitely return!

• Liked — spacious rooms
  • Disliked — some noise if near the lobby atrium
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a room away from the lobby
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

Having read reviews from Dec 2005 which gave warnings about some very noisy rooms, I booked our room directly from the H.I. website and asked for "a quiet room, off the main road and the breakfast area" in the "Comment" section of the reservation form ... And guess what ? We got both .

When the young man at reception desk told us our room number, this number rang a bell as being a "bad" one . I showed him our confirmation form with my comment, but he told me that the hotel was full and this was the only 5-people suite available and I should have called the hotel directly (from France ?) to secure my requirements instead of relying on the people in charge of the internet bookings . The guy was very polite and he certainly wasn't unfriendly, but he was obviously fed up because he was alone at front desk on this very busy evening, with people waiting in line to check in or whatever else and the phone ringing constantly with people asking for vacancies . Since the whole area seemed booked up, we didn't seem to have much of a choice so we decided to try our luck with that room ...
As it happens, traffic noise wasn't much of a problem (only rooms 101 to 107 are directly on the road) . But we realized a little before 6 a.m. that we were directly below the breakfast room . The noise from the tables / chairs being moved was terrible, there was no way to sleep . So I went to see the manager after breakfast . The man knew what the problem was as soon as I told him our room number : 113 . He apologized profusely and when I showed him my comment on our confirmation form he offered to reduce our rate . But I told him that, given the choice, we'd rather pay full rate and sleep well on our two last nights at this hotel, so he manage to find us another suite . He appologized again, we shook hands, and we spent the two next nights in another (very nice) suite .
The next morning I happened to meet the young guy from check-in again . He appologized as well and we started chatting for a while . He was a really nice guy . And when I told him that I was pleasantly surprised with him and his manager because I had read some reviews on Tripadvisor with strong complains about unfriendly staff, he told me that he and his manager were actually new in this H.I. Express . Good .

Now, to sum up the noisy bedrooms problem :
- rooms 101,103,105 and 107 are just a few feet away from the road
- rooms 113 (ours), 115 and 117 are directly below the breakfast
area
- room 119 is directly below kitchen (see previous review)
I don't know about other bedrooms, but looking at the rooms' "map" in a previous review, I would suggest that the safest and most simple plan is to avoid all rooms with odd numbers ranging from 101 to 123 . And don't forget to call the hotel directly to specify your room requirements !!!

Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
the midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

We always like to stay in Holiday Inn Expresses because you can count on a nice room and good service. This was the first time we had trouble with one. Our check in was unbelievable. While checking in another staff person kept interupting the clerk.
Once we got to our room 119 (AVOID AT ALL COSTS) we found ants all along the window sill. We went back down stairs only to be interupted 2 times by the same lady. The young man was clearly embarrassed by her behavior. My husband just said we would come back later. About 5 am we were rudely awaken. The kitchen is directly overhead and they began fixing breakfast. At 6 my husband went to the front desk and asked what was going on, the clerk apologized and offered to lower the rate, my husband said 1/2 price would do. They lowered the rate and again apologized. Breakfast was very nice. But overall, I would make sure you get a room that is quiet, or you will be in for a rude awaking.

• Tips/Secrets — be specific about the room you want!!!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Blaine, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

I couldn't get into my other favorite Monterey hotel - Seaside - so I settled for this hotel in Marina. I was pleasantly suprised and will add to my list of places I stay in the area.

As with most HI Expresses, this is a nice business hotel. Families take note: no pool buy just a hot tub. It has a HUGE breakfast room which is nice as you have a place to spread out. There is no WiFi in the hotel, so bring your cable. The rooms were great, very comfortable with adequate lightening and the new bedding and of course - CLEAN.. A real plus!

The hotel is tucked away from Highway 1, and there isn't much around it except houses and sand dunes. You have to drive for any of your needs, but there are a number of shopping centers across from the main road.

I will be back

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina? Share your experiences!