I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites on Friday 7/26/13 with my elderly parents after attending the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Originally we wanted to stay in Monterey, but the entire area was sold out. Luckily we found the HI Express in Marina with availability and it was right off the Hwy 1 about 10 minutes north of the Cannery Row area of Monterey. The location was very nice. Upon entering the hotel to check in, I was a bit put off by the really dirty tile floors in the lobby area. The lobby was dark and somewhat dated looking - it does NOT look like the pictures shown on the website. I think management needs to brighten and lighten it up. Time to redecorate and bring it out of the 80's. But Denise at the front desk was really nice and friendly and got us checked in to our rooms. She tried very hard to make sure our rooms were near each other on the same floor although the hotel was getting nearly sold out. For customer service, HI Express Marina gets five stars. The elevator was pretty small and needed some aesthetic attention. The mustard gold colored paint on the elevator doors was badly scuffed, scratched and dirty looking, it kinda reminded you of the freight or service elevators behind the scenes if you wander into the wrong areas of a large Marriott hotel or something. The tile floors all throughout the common areas were filthy and the inside of the elevator was musty and ugly. The elevator made a loud noise and thump when it would land on our third floor - yikes! I noticed a message taped to the front desk's keyboard that read in large letters: IN CASE OF ELEVATOR EMERGENCY, CALL (#). Evidently, elevator emergencies are common enough that this needs to be posted in plain sight of the desk personnel, and I think I know why. It's time to get a new elevator methinks.
Once we got into our rooms, they were clean enough I suppose. Very, very plain and the decor was not what you'd find in a Comfort Inn or La Quinta. The carpet was dirty because my feet bottoms would get dirty after I just recently showered - I started wearing slippers inside my room to keep my feet clean. Wallpaper around the windows was peeling and dirty. Wall mounted air conditioner (old fashioned kind) under the window was loud and rattle-y. Bathtub was aged, although clean, but you could see where they tried to cover up the stains and nicks with non-slip covering. Definitely needed replacing. Grout in the bathroom tile floor was very dirty and needed a good scrubbing/bleaching. Rest of bathroom was fairly clean except the underside of the toilet seat has some urine spots as if it had not been cleaned/disinfected there. I Lysol down everything, so I cleaned it myself. Towels were old, scratchy and thin. Not thick and plump like other hotels I've stayed at.
Hotel (actually, it should be classified as a motel) was just noisy, probably because it was near sold out. Doors slamming all night and morning (use your hotel manners, you door slammers!), kids screaming up and down the halls, maids talking at the top of their lungs out in the hallway at 8:00 a.m. - if you want to sleep in here, forget it. Luckily I was up at 7:00.
If you are looking for a budget-conscious motel that is a step up from a motor lodge, this may be it. If you are used to La Quinta Suites, Marriotts or Embassy Suites type hotels, you will be disappointed here. It gets the overflow when Monterey sells out, and I think they take that for granted. Seriously, the manager needs to examine the floors, common areas and overall condition and invest some funds in getting the place up to par. I wouldn't stay here again, rather make sure I book early enough to get in at the Embassy Suites Seaside or other higher end hotel in Monterey proper.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites - Marina
- Holiday Inn Express Marina
- Holiday Inn Marina
- Marina Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marina, CA!We are located on the Monterey Peninsula, just minutes from Downtown Monterey, Cannery Row and Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf. Santa Cruz, Seaside & Sand City are also nearby.Close to the natural beauty of the dunes and Marina State Beach Park, this hotel offers the guest great value and proximity to the areas world-class golf, dining, and attractions. We are a short drive to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Carmel-by-the-Sea, 17 Mile Drive, & Pacific Grove.Our beautiful hotel features complimentary Deluxe Express Start Continental Breakfast, free high-speed Internet access in all rooms, and free local phone calls. After a day of sightseeing, return to your comfortable room to relax or enjoy an invigorating work out in our fitness room or dip in our oversized hot tub. We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel very soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, IHG, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.