“Basic accomodations with decents beds, would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Marina
SF Bay Area
“Basic accomodations with decents beds, would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Marina is about a 10 min drive (north) from downtown Monterey and with that a bit cheaper (and fewer taxed and no parking charges). But if you want to go out in Monterey with some alcohol, this might be too far. Very nice greeting at reception (Luke? i think), cookies later, beds and pillows and lines perfectly fine (important to us). Breakfast space nice, food OK (no fruit, which I thought was quite normal) in sight, but someone was kind enough to heat up some oatmeal. They have double queen rooms, are room was spacious enough which a decent sized fridge (no micro). Jacuzzi inside nice and big (we did not have time to use). I see another reviewer mentions a noisy fridge - for us it seemed to be the power outlet behind the heavy cabinet, clicking all night long which was difficult to sleep to. In the am we heard a snorer - the walls just are too thin at hotels to not hear people.

Room Tip: Top floor most quiet, but elevator slow
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hayward, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Let’s see, where to begin.
The tub diverter faucet didn’t work and there was very little hot water in the shower. The fridge made a knocking noise all night. The TV was set on the micro/fridge cabinet, which made the small screen look tiny. The metal housing under the A/C unit was loose and protruding from under the unit. There were multiple holes in the walls with wall anchors in them from old pictures and headboards. The motion sensor light switch at the door flashes a bright green LED all night long making a good night sleep impossible. And last but not least, the breakfast room attendant was rude and with multiple families with small children in the room turned on the TV and set the channel to some loud and obnoxious tele-vangelist, then left the room. After a while it seemed like no one was watching it and a guest changed the channel. A few minutes later the breakfast attendant came back in and when he saw the TV immediately changed the channel back to the offensive tele-vangelist. The first time we stayed here a year ago it was very nice. It has gone far downhill since. The only bright spot was the front desk attendant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear M W,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and I regret you found the condition of your room and the service you received less than satisfactory. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is truly disappointing we fell short of your expectations. Rest assured that these will be looked into and be addressed accordingly. I appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Pros:
+Convenient location (close to Hwy 1, and various stores/restaurants)
+Clean
+Comfortable bed
+They have Weight Watchers meetings on site
+Breakfast has plenty of options (bananas, sausage, pastries, coffee, cereals, yogurt, etc.)
+There is a laundry room (1 washer & 1 dryer) - machines only take quarters & price for washer depends on what you select for your load (mine cost $2.25 + $1.00 for dryer) - thankfully either the hotel or another guest had left behind some detergent & dryer sheets
+Next to Locke-Paddon park/trail
+Free, convenient parking (never had an issue finding a space)
+Fridge & microwave in room
+Heat & air (if you are not familiar with the area, many hotels do not provide air because the temperature is so mild year round)
+Housekeeping staff is great
+Denise at the front desk is awesome. I needed to print out my boarding passes and the printer was down so she let me use the computer at the counter.

Cons:
-The biggest con was that I specifically asked for a top (third) floor room, and they gave me a second floor room. When I asked about this, Lance just said, "Oh." I looked at him to see if he would try to fix it, and he said that, "maybe tomorrow we can see if one is available". Since I was then on the second floor, I had to listen to what sounded like elephants running around in the room above me every night before bed. I was never given the top floor room.
-Windows are gross! Bird poop everywhere. They desperately need to get a window cleaner.
-Weird holes in walls. It looks like they are from previous wall/art hangings that they either didn't fix (and there are ragged holes left) or they popped little plastic inserts in. Either way, it is creepy.
-Although there is AC, the unit is LOUD. I had to shut it off at night so I could sleep. (I couldn't open the windows due to the street noise being loud as well.)
-I tried 2 machines in the gym (treadmill & eliptical) but neither worked.
-One day I came back to the hotel to find that while I was gone, they had replaced the armchair that was in the room. They didn't tell me they would do this (other hotels usually call to tell you that they will be doing that sort of thing). The replacement chair was also not comfortable (the old one was!), and squeaked from the pleather when sitting in it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bainbridge, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our family picked this hotel because it was reasonably priced, close to the Monteray Aquarium and had a free breakfast. We were so happy we found this spot! The hotel was so clean! The beds didn't have the typical old comforters, that you don't want to sit on because you don't know if they get washed. Instead the beds had very clean, white linens. The room was spotless as well as the sauna/hot tub area. The hotel felt very new like it was just built. We were also happy with the breakfast. The kids loved the pancake making machine and I enjoyed the very hot coffee. We stayed in 5 different hotels over our vacation and this was by far the best hotel overall. We missed the cookies....heard they were good too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Didn´t like that hotel. Staff was friendly and gave me an "upgrade".. That was a, admittedly spacious, room, but it was really noisy, I heard every slamming door in that "hotel"! The best thing at this hotel was the Walmart across the street, where I could buy some beer to stand the night!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Jens F,

Thank you for you review. I am glad that our staff were friendly during your stay however, I am truly sorry about the noise disturbance in your room. We try our best to ensure all guests have a great stay and undisturbed sleep. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Simi Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Upon my arrival the desk clerk was nice but I had explicitly asked for a top floor room and she gave me a 1st floor room. She did fix it and give me a top floor. There was a place to park my 30' truck, which is very important.
The breakfast was fair. They use those prefab hockey puck type eggs. The coffee, both in room and in the breakfast room is terrible. The hallways looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in days.
Room was ok but the mattresses in my room really need replacing.....

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Wheelchair user, pleased that room accommodated all my feeds throughout my stay. Have no problem saying if I come back to that part of the world again, I'll be happy to stay there. Staff very friendly, nice touch was being offered home made cookies in reception.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina? Share your experiences!