“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Monterey Beach Dunes

You added Quality Inn Monterey Beach Dunes to your Saves list
Quality Inn Monterey Beach Dunes
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3280 Dunes Dr, Marina, CA 93933-2005 (Formerly Super 8)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Marina
A TripAdvisor Member
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My wife and I arrive to this motel. Upon entering in the room it was very small, poorly cleaned, and very outdated! The main reason for this review is to make people very aware of Heath hazards at the establishment. Upon myself exiting the shower I grab a "clean" folded towel and began to dry my hair as I get ready to dry my face I see a brown fecal matter stain crusted on the towel and it was not small. My wife seen it and was disgusted as was I. I went to the front office with the towel in a bag and spike to the GM, after my explanation of the health hazard that I might have been exposed to I was very upset. Her solution credit me a 1 night refund and a "I'm sorry". So I will be contacting corporate and getting this resolved how it needs to be!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Patricia f, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Monterey Beach Dunes, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is unfortunate to read that you had a less than pleasant three night stay with us. I am also concerned about the condition of the bathroom towel you found in the bathroom on your first night. All of the hotels linen is purchased through a Choice Hotels International approved vendor and arrives on our property sealed and ready to be put into the guests room. It seems that we must inspect every piece of linen that is removed from this sealed package prior to use to ensure that this unfortunate experience does not happen to a future guest. As stated in your review you have reached "corporate" and we have taken this matter very seriously. A full refund has been issued to your credit card on file and we hope that the matter has been resolved to your satidfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Silver City, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

A small clean room with a comfy bed, a shower, breakfast and a beautiful uncrowded beach just a five minute walk away. What more could you ask for? You could spend hundreds a night for a fancy resort and still walk to the same beach.
Wi-Fi is not good when the place is busy. It cycles on and off becoming unusable. It got better Sunday evening when the weekend crowd cleared out.
Breakfast was waffles, doughnuts, yogurt, biscuits with gravy, hard-boiled eggs and fruit. The tiny breakfast room gets really crowded, and it can be a challenge just getting to the food.
This is an older motel that has been fixed and is well managed. We found a French fry box between the bed and nite stand, but the room was otherwise clean. There is no pool but a large spa which I didn't try.
We were in town for a memorial service far a family member. Walks to the beach provided solitude, and the hotel was a comfortable place to stay. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Overall Rating: 1 of 5
QUICK REVIEW
Overall-
I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. I had the worst time at this hotel and I feel it impacted my entire vacation. Every part of this Hotel is bad and I would recommend as did the General manager to stay in another hotel.

DETAILED REVIEW
First Appearance-
The hotel has a less than perfect appeal. The location is near some good eating places and very close to the beach. The salty weather has taken a toll on this property but with proper care this could have been prevented. The parking lot is far from safe at night as it is completely dark, and you may think well its kind of out there so it shouldn't be a problem but they don’t walk to property so there are a lot of questionable people just hanging around in the shadows. Overall rating for first appearance is 1 of 5.

Check In-
Check in came after a LONG day in San Francisco so I hoped it would be quick and pleasant. The Desk agent was nice and helpful and made it quick and easy. Overall rating for check in is 5 of 5.

Outer Facility-
The door locks do not work properly and are corroded. The building looks dirty as does the parking lot. Overall outer facility rating is a 0 of 5.

Room-
I have never had so many problems in my hotel rooms before and that’s combined. The first night I had a long day in S.F so I couldn't wait to lay down and go to sleep but the room wasn't clean. I am a very understanding person and if I see a few issues I will jot them down and continue my stay but after about an hour in the room I had to give up. There was blood on a sheet of paper, a mysterious spot on the night stand, the radio kept buzzing, a lamp in the room did not work, the bed cover was dirty and seemed to have ash burns (non-smoking room), the fridge was dirty, pubic hairs on the toilet, spots of human fluids on the walls of the restroom, the water changes from ice cold to burning hot, and hair in the shower. After switching rooms the second room was much better I decided to give the hotel another shot and stay another night and since the room I got was cleaner I stayed in the same room. After another long day in Santa Cruz again I wished to go to sleep in a clean room. When I came back the room was not touched by the cleaning personnel. This hotel stay was the worst I have ever encountered and not worth the amount I paid. Overall rating for the rooms is 0 of 5

Service-
After so many problems with the hotel I got to speak with the General Manager on the first room switch, she wanted to see the issues that I was having in the room. After explaining and showing her the issues I was surprised at the reaction, I was told that I should stay at a different hotel. So after having to switch in the middle of the night I had to spend time showing her what her crew did not do. When I made the call to switch the front desk agent told me she would call me back I understand that the office may be busy but there should have been a different response such as we will take care of it let me a manager over there. On the second night we were about to leave for our day and I noticed it was about 12:00 PM and the cleaning personal hadn't shown so I called the front desk to ask when they would be by and they told me that it was a busy day and that they should be there any moment. So thinking that my room would be cleaned I left. When we came back nothing had been done in the room so I attempted to call the front desk to see what they could do about the room not being cleaned by the cleaning personal with no answer. Again in the middle of the night I would have to walk to the office and found both the front desk agent and manager “taking a break” when I told them what had happened there was nothing but a offer of towels to fix the issue. Just wanting to go to bed I took the towels and headed back when we seen the manager on the way out her response was “I guess they are afraid of you” and she explained that they had a pep talk. I have never seen such a disregard for customer service in all my business experience. Overall rating for the service is a 0 of 5.

Food-
The morning breakfast was great and tasty and they had a good amount of options. Pizza delivery is available for the hotel and the places to eat in Marina have a good amount of choices. Overall rating for food is 5 of 5

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hanford, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

It started off as a bad motel day(dont ever book Motel 6 in Marina, Ca) and Quality Inn changed my bad day to an Amazing day! They are so sweet at front desk and understanding. They mentioned the price including the amenities and I couldnt resist,it was seriously a huge blessing for my family. I will always book this place when in the Monterey area! I recommend this hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: Choose the queen suite on back side of property :)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Nice location right around the corner for the beach. The room was fine. Being picky - the area outside my room was covered with litter.

But the big problem was the internet. I rely on it. It reminded me how far we have come because it was slower than an old dial-up connection. I asked the desk about it. The young lady told me the internet was fine, they had just had somewhere there looking at it and they said it was fine. (Ummmm, how many places have someone there checking something if it was fine?)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
BRITISH COLUMBIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I needed a room near Moss Landing but close to Monterey Bay as well. We also look for hotels with reasonable rates. This Quality Inn rang all our bells although the marine environment has been hard on the exterior of the building.

Front office staff was excellent in handling our booking. Again great service when we re booked to extend our stay.

Breakfasts can be hot or cold and there is a reasonable selection of foods and beverages. The young lady servicing the breakfast area keeps everything well stocked and the eating areas are spotlessly clean. Great to see.

The hotel's location is within easy walking distance of a state beach if you would like to take pictures of birds or just enjoy the sights and sound of the surf.

The hotel is also within easy walking distance of the Kula Ranch restaurant if you are looking for dinner at a bit more upscale location.

Lunch or a less pricey dinner will mean a trip into Marina or Sand City.

Our only grumble is that our room did not have a microwave although it did have a nice fridge.

We would stay again at this Inn and will recommend it to friends.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Upland, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Nice property in a beautiful coast location. Could not be closer to the great views out into Monterey Bay.

Clean room, well kept up and serviced. Plenty of hot water and a full tub.

Five minutes to plenty of restaurants of all types.

Comfortable bed and VERY quiet. A limited breakfast buffet with biscuits and gravy and decent coffee.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn Monterey Beach Dunes? Share your experiences!