“Peaceful Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Marina
Cameron Park, CA
“Peaceful Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were invited here by friends who had a condo (time share), it slept 6 people with a full kitchen patio and BBQ. Huge pool area to enjoy. We even had a private beach area to watch the sunset from. The bar has a great happy hour, Hawaiian nachos to die for! Dinner was also good in the restaurant. When the weather permits there's a nice deck outside the bar. We were able to rent dvd's in the main lodge. I would come back to this location again and get a beach view room for two. Thought about a spa treatment even though it's pricey, maybe next time.

Room Tip: I would say get a beach view room with a deck.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thanks so much for weighing in on your experience on the property. I’m glad you found the accommodations to your liking. I would like to provide some clarification for those future travelers reading this; though we are on the same property, the timeshare and the resort operate independently. Our rooms sleep either two or four and do not have a kitchen or BBQ. Again, I appreciate you leaving the great comments that you did and I’ll be sure to pass on the good tidings to the timeshare management team. See you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a beautiful and relaxing place to visit. You definitely have to go for oceanfront. We had the suite with a sitting area and fireplace and the extra space is well worth it. Our room overlooked a dune more than the ocean (#702 suite) but you could definitely see the waves and hear them. The beach was pretty deserted this time of year and you could walk for miles - just heavenly!
There is a fire pit social time every evening and that is enjoyable - it is during the sunset. Bring your wine and just watch the sun go down.
The room is very comfortable - the bed is great and the sheets are incredibly soft. The bathroom is large with dual sinks and a tub/shower as well as a walk in shower.
I have to say that we ordered room service for dinner and unfortunately it wasn't great. Your meal is brought to you in a plastic leftover container - not exactly four star.
The front desk staff is very helpful and their breakfast recommendation - Tico's was great.
Last item - you do have to drive the golf carts to and from your room which can be a bit of an adventure in bad weather but overall I would definitely come stay here again.

Room Tip: As I stated definitely go for an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for offering insights into your stay with us! I’m glad you found the accommodations to be beautiful and relaxing as that is what we are striving for. Contrary to what some might think, the beach in front of our property remains relatively deserted throughout the year. Like you did, guests can walk for miles north or south of the resort and not see another soul! In my opinion, this helps us live up the Sanctuary name. I will be sure to pass your comments about the restaurant onto their management team as well. We look forward to having you back!
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Retreat to this quite resort for amazing view and miles of beach almost to yourself. Our room was a suite and had a sitting area and fireplace. We had a comfortable bed. The resort has a great hawaiian reasturant with cheap but quality happy hour. Would deffinely return.

• Stayed March 2013
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for leaving us a kind review about your stay. Come back whenever you are ready to experience it again!
Mountain Ranch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My first visit to the Monterey Coast was perfect. I was able to view whales from the room with binoculars provided by the hotel. I did not expect to see the whales; I was just getting away for a few days. The room was very nice. It was cozy and very comfortable. We watched the sun vanish below the horizon while sitting on the porch. I am very happy this was our hotel choice. I will certainly stay here when visiting the area.

Room Tip: The golf cart ride from the parking area to the room can be a bit chilly, especially at night. Room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
At first glance, I assumed I would be reading about a trip to the wharf and how you could see whales after being on a boat for a few hours but reading further made me say WOW! You saw whales from your room! Though not a seldom occurrence, it still excites the heck out of me when folks report that, because these majestic sea creatures are simply frolicking in their natural habitat. It just so happens, our resort sits on the edge of their habitat so we get a front row seat! Glad you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to your return.
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are amazing, we had ocean views and could walk from our terrace to the beach. I loved the fire place and the complimentary bottle of wine. We had our breakfast delivered to our room, which was great. I also had a beautiful and very relaxing massage in the spa! Great place!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
From the looks of your review, you enjoyed some of my favorite aspects of this place and I’m glad you did. You’re welcome back just as soon as you can make it. See you soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is located right on the beach. You get to your room by a golf cart. Our neighbors were a bit noisy because we shared a building. To get to the actual beach you walk a path and then it drops down into a dune so you have to have good footing and cannot be impaired. This part of the ocean is not safe for swimming, but good for a long walk or a meditation hour. The property is located directly next to the state park and there is no commercial property that can get you closer to the beach. Overall clean and the staff was friendly. One thing to be aware of is the shower/tub combo is slippery as heck. Caution to anyone stepping in. There are no grips on the floor, beware. This is an excellent alternative to staying in Monterrey and Carmel but Marina the town is just a suburban town with fast foods and not touristy in any way.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean front, but you really only see a dune. Realize you are getting a golf cart to get...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for leaving a great review of our humble little resort by the water. You are a person with a great sense of detail like myself and I am glad that you touched on some of the points that you did. Two issues I wanted to address in terms of your stay; the access to the beach, and the shower/tub combo. As far as the beach goes, we understand that excellent mobility is required to get down to the beach from our property. As an alternative, our guests are welcome to the much more forgiving slope located at the Marina State Beach right next door. In terms of the slipperiness of the tubs, we equip all room tubs and showers with non-slip rubber mats to help prevent falls. Once again, I appreciate your review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Newark, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been here years before when it was under another name. We were glad to return once again. In need of a weekend get-away, we were pleasantly surprised to book at such late notice. What a peaceful place to enjoy the beach and ocean air. Accommodations were wonderful. What a great room! What a great view! Beautiful sunset. The beach bonfire was fun to. It was the perfect weekend get-away. The staff is super. Derick @ the front desk is a great guy. He was so helpful and even upgraded our room accommodations. Each guest is assigned an electric car and they are fun to drive. We'll be going back again real soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thanks for the awesome comment regarding your stay with us. Your pictures look great and made me kind of jealous that my office doesn't have a view! Let me also say that I appreciate your return business over the years and of course you are welcome back anytime! Its always my pleasure to ensure my guests have a great stay so thanks for the compliment about me as well! See you again soon.

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!