“Amazing retreat with great happy hour.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Beach Resort

Expedia.com Travelocity
Sanctuary Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3295 Dunes Rd, Marina, CA 93933 (Formerly Marina Dunes Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Marina
San Ramon, California
“Amazing retreat with great happy hour.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Retreat to this quite resort for amazing view and miles of beach almost to yourself. Our room was a suite and had a sitting area and fireplace. We had a comfortable bed. The resort has a great hawaiian reasturant with cheap but quality happy hour. Would deffinely return.

• Stayed March 2013
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for leaving us a kind review about your stay. Come back whenever you are ready to experience it again!

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Mountain Ranch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My first visit to the Monterey Coast was perfect. I was able to view whales from the room with binoculars provided by the hotel. I did not expect to see the whales; I was just getting away for a few days. The room was very nice. It was cozy and very comfortable. We watched the sun vanish below the horizon while sitting on the porch. I am very happy this was our hotel choice. I will certainly stay here when visiting the area.

Room Tip: The golf cart ride from the parking area to the room can be a bit chilly, especially at night. Room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
At first glance, I assumed I would be reading about a trip to the wharf and how you could see whales after being on a boat for a few hours but reading further made me say WOW! You saw whales from your room! Though not a seldom occurrence, it still excites the heck out of me when folks report that, because these majestic sea creatures are simply frolicking in their natural habitat. It just so happens, our resort sits on the edge of their habitat so we get a front row seat! Glad you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to your return.
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are amazing, we had ocean views and could walk from our terrace to the beach. I loved the fire place and the complimentary bottle of wine. We had our breakfast delivered to our room, which was great. I also had a beautiful and very relaxing massage in the spa! Great place!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
From the looks of your review, you enjoyed some of my favorite aspects of this place and I’m glad you did. You’re welcome back just as soon as you can make it. See you soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is located right on the beach. You get to your room by a golf cart. Our neighbors were a bit noisy because we shared a building. To get to the actual beach you walk a path and then it drops down into a dune so you have to have good footing and cannot be impaired. This part of the ocean is not safe for swimming, but good for a long walk or a meditation hour. The property is located directly next to the state park and there is no commercial property that can get you closer to the beach. Overall clean and the staff was friendly. One thing to be aware of is the shower/tub combo is slippery as heck. Caution to anyone stepping in. There are no grips on the floor, beware. This is an excellent alternative to staying in Monterrey and Carmel but Marina the town is just a suburban town with fast foods and not touristy in any way.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean front, but you really only see a dune. Realize you are getting a golf cart to get...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for leaving a great review of our humble little resort by the water. You are a person with a great sense of detail like myself and I am glad that you touched on some of the points that you did. Two issues I wanted to address in terms of your stay; the access to the beach, and the shower/tub combo. As far as the beach goes, we understand that excellent mobility is required to get down to the beach from our property. As an alternative, our guests are welcome to the much more forgiving slope located at the Marina State Beach right next door. In terms of the slipperiness of the tubs, we equip all room tubs and showers with non-slip rubber mats to help prevent falls. Once again, I appreciate your review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Newark, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been here years before when it was under another name. We were glad to return once again. In need of a weekend get-away, we were pleasantly surprised to book at such late notice. What a peaceful place to enjoy the beach and ocean air. Accommodations were wonderful. What a great room! What a great view! Beautiful sunset. The beach bonfire was fun to. It was the perfect weekend get-away. The staff is super. Derick @ the front desk is a great guy. He was so helpful and even upgraded our room accommodations. Each guest is assigned an electric car and they are fun to drive. We'll be going back again real soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thanks for the awesome comment regarding your stay with us. Your pictures look great and made me kind of jealous that my office doesn't have a view! Let me also say that I appreciate your return business over the years and of course you are welcome back anytime! Its always my pleasure to ensure my guests have a great stay so thanks for the compliment about me as well! See you again soon.
Danville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Although I have spent a lot of time over the years in the Monterey, Carmel area, I had never heard of this resort. My wife and I were going to the golf tournament at Pebble Beach and the shuttle left from Fort Ord, so I was looking for a hotel nearby. This resort is right on a bluff overlooking a beautiful beach. It consists of a number of single and two story rooms and junior suites. We stayed in an ocean front junior suite which was a large (600 sq.' +/-) room with a fireplace, king bed, 2 flat screen TVs and a little patio. Also has a small refrigerator and microwave. They issue golf carts to each room. I saw the non junior suite rooms and I would recommend to spend the extra money for the suite. We were lucky to have two amazing weather days. They also allow pets for an additional fee and this would be dog heaven.

Room Tip: We were in a stand alone room with only one level. If you get a room in the two story, upper rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I have to say that your comments about the resort were wonderful and much appreciated. Thanks ever so much for leaving us a review. Being so descriptive, I’m sure it will aid future travelers to our resort who may have been wondering what a nice ocean front stay would be like from one of our rooms. You raise a good point about the standalone option in the Jr. Suites, its always nice to either be upstairs or have nobody above you. We look forward to your next stay with us.
omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

3 words. Ocean Front Room. Sometimes, the extra money spent is well worth it. Sitting fireside at your patio door with the waves crashing, smooth jazz in the background, a fantastic bottle of Port wine from Napa, and a delicious dinner delivered from the island restaurant on site...actually, we drove our golf cart (complimentary with our room) to pick up our dinner. Huge comfy bed and a beautiful bath area. Yep, I picked a great one again!

• Stayed January 2013
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
It sounds like you have impeccable taste in hotels! I couldn't agree more that certain occasions call for splurging and enjoying the best of the best! I am delighted to hear that your stay was full of relaxing, enjoying wine, and hearing the waves crash at night. You painted a wonderful picture and we look forward to your next visit with us. Next time you are in the area, please be sure to call us and we will have a beautiful room set up for your arrival. Thank you so much for your review!
Katherine
Phone: 831-883-9478
Email: guestrelations@thesanctuarybeachresort.com

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!