“Great beach resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sanctuary Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3295 Dunes Rd, Marina, CA 93933 (Formerly Marina Dunes Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Marina
Perth
“Great beach resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are amazing, we had ocean views and could walk from our terrace to the beach. I loved the fire place and the complimentary bottle of wine. We had our breakfast delivered to our room, which was great. I also had a beautiful and very relaxing massage in the spa! Great place!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
From the looks of your review, you enjoyed some of my favorite aspects of this place and I’m glad you did. You’re welcome back just as soon as you can make it. See you soon!

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is located right on the beach. You get to your room by a golf cart. Our neighbors were a bit noisy because we shared a building. To get to the actual beach you walk a path and then it drops down into a dune so you have to have good footing and cannot be impaired. This part of the ocean is not safe for swimming, but good for a long walk or a meditation hour. The property is located directly next to the state park and there is no commercial property that can get you closer to the beach. Overall clean and the staff was friendly. One thing to be aware of is the shower/tub combo is slippery as heck. Caution to anyone stepping in. There are no grips on the floor, beware. This is an excellent alternative to staying in Monterrey and Carmel but Marina the town is just a suburban town with fast foods and not touristy in any way.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean front, but you really only see a dune. Realize you are getting a golf cart to get...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for leaving a great review of our humble little resort by the water. You are a person with a great sense of detail like myself and I am glad that you touched on some of the points that you did. Two issues I wanted to address in terms of your stay; the access to the beach, and the shower/tub combo. As far as the beach goes, we understand that excellent mobility is required to get down to the beach from our property. As an alternative, our guests are welcome to the much more forgiving slope located at the Marina State Beach right next door. In terms of the slipperiness of the tubs, we equip all room tubs and showers with non-slip rubber mats to help prevent falls. Once again, I appreciate your review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Newark, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been here years before when it was under another name. We were glad to return once again. In need of a weekend get-away, we were pleasantly surprised to book at such late notice. What a peaceful place to enjoy the beach and ocean air. Accommodations were wonderful. What a great room! What a great view! Beautiful sunset. The beach bonfire was fun to. It was the perfect weekend get-away. The staff is super. Derick @ the front desk is a great guy. He was so helpful and even upgraded our room accommodations. Each guest is assigned an electric car and they are fun to drive. We'll be going back again real soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thanks for the awesome comment regarding your stay with us. Your pictures look great and made me kind of jealous that my office doesn't have a view! Let me also say that I appreciate your return business over the years and of course you are welcome back anytime! Its always my pleasure to ensure my guests have a great stay so thanks for the compliment about me as well! See you again soon.
Danville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Although I have spent a lot of time over the years in the Monterey, Carmel area, I had never heard of this resort. My wife and I were going to the golf tournament at Pebble Beach and the shuttle left from Fort Ord, so I was looking for a hotel nearby. This resort is right on a bluff overlooking a beautiful beach. It consists of a number of single and two story rooms and junior suites. We stayed in an ocean front junior suite which was a large (600 sq.' +/-) room with a fireplace, king bed, 2 flat screen TVs and a little patio. Also has a small refrigerator and microwave. They issue golf carts to each room. I saw the non junior suite rooms and I would recommend to spend the extra money for the suite. We were lucky to have two amazing weather days. They also allow pets for an additional fee and this would be dog heaven.

Room Tip: We were in a stand alone room with only one level. If you get a room in the two story, upper rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I have to say that your comments about the resort were wonderful and much appreciated. Thanks ever so much for leaving us a review. Being so descriptive, I’m sure it will aid future travelers to our resort who may have been wondering what a nice ocean front stay would be like from one of our rooms. You raise a good point about the standalone option in the Jr. Suites, its always nice to either be upstairs or have nobody above you. We look forward to your next stay with us.
omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

3 words. Ocean Front Room. Sometimes, the extra money spent is well worth it. Sitting fireside at your patio door with the waves crashing, smooth jazz in the background, a fantastic bottle of Port wine from Napa, and a delicious dinner delivered from the island restaurant on site...actually, we drove our golf cart (complimentary with our room) to pick up our dinner. Huge comfy bed and a beautiful bath area. Yep, I picked a great one again!

• Stayed January 2013
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
It sounds like you have impeccable taste in hotels! I couldn't agree more that certain occasions call for splurging and enjoying the best of the best! I am delighted to hear that your stay was full of relaxing, enjoying wine, and hearing the waves crash at night. You painted a wonderful picture and we look forward to your next visit with us. Next time you are in the area, please be sure to call us and we will have a beautiful room set up for your arrival. Thank you so much for your review!
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Exciting experience to be right on the beach, surrounded by the ocean and white sands - you have the feeling of being on a privately owned beach. The Aquarium is closeby so a nice treat for kids . Our oceanfront Junior suite had a nice view of the beach , fireplace that you can set and comes on if the temp drops. The room and amenities were clean as well. The staff was also polite and helpful. We made our own arrangements for food and drinks but the wet bar was well stocked and reasonably priced if you needed it.

Room Tip: the oceanfront suites are more expensive - but you get what you paid for ;-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
I am so glad your family enjoyed your stay! The aquarium is one of my favorite parts of Monterey. They are constantly upgrading exhibits and adding new features to make it better and better. I hope you were able to enjoy some of the nice weather we have had lately. I’m so happy the staff provided helpful service to you and your family. I hope you are able to return again, as we would be delighted to have you back here as our guests again. Thank you for your review!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our stay here was a gift from a friend, who was thrilled she had found such a lovely place for us to stay. After being allowed to check in a little early by the friendly staff, we met another staff member at our car, who helped us load up his golf cart and drove us to our room. I was disappointed that our second floor ocean view deluxe jr. suite was set back so far that we could only catch glimpses of the water between the many buildings. There was a nice balcony with chairs and even binoculars, but the rainy weather made this feature unusable during our stay. The golf carts that you are required to use (you have to leave your vehicle in the parking lots by the main lobby building) looked like fun and I'll bet many enjoyed them (esp. kids!), but again, our rainy weather just made it annoying to have to run to the cart, climb onto the damp seats & zip up the vinyl sides, drive to the parking lot where our car was, pull our car out of our space, park the golf cart, all so we could simply drive our car.
Our room was lovely. With a cozy fireplace & family room, aforementioned balcony (binoculars provided by resort), a very comfy king bed and not one but two large flatscreen TV's, it was very nice. The bathroom layout was interesting - the standard bathtub and two pedestal sinks were right next to our bed, open to the sleeping area - the toilet and shower were behind a pocket door. Other than some typical neighbor noise, the resort is quiet and peaceful.
We liked the view from the bluff above the beach; several other guests were making good use of the chairs provided by the resort. Again, the rainy weather prevented us from making the most of the resort during our stay, so I feel we can't give a full experience review.
We ate at the resort's Kula Ranch restaurant for dinner and it was pretty good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
It seems from your review that the weather you experienced while here unfortunately had a negative impact on your stay. I really enjoyed the positive points you pointed out regarding the staff and room features. I must agree certain aspects of the resort are more easily enjoyed with less inclement weather, and unfortunately Mother Nature is the one item we cannot control. We do our best to offer solutions for those rainy days, like having covers on the golfcarts to keep out brisk wind and rain, and keeping the rooms cozy with items such as the fireplace, Kerurig coffee makers, room service, and Pay-Per-View movies. I would like to apologize for the confusion regarding the room type. We offer 3 room types. Partial view rooms offer a mostly dunes view and partial ocean view. The main confusion lies in the difference between Ocean View & Ocean Front. Our ocean views offer views of the ocean with some partial obstruction, and the Ocean Fronts are situated directly on the front line, with nothing separating you from the water except for sand and sanctuary. I am glad that you were happy with the interior of the room and hope you are able to give the resort another try in the future.
Email: guestrelations@thesanctuarybeachresort.com

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!