“beachfront experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sanctuary Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3295 Dunes Rd, Marina, CA 93933 (Formerly Marina Dunes Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Marina
Sacramento, California
“beachfront experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Exciting experience to be right on the beach, surrounded by the ocean and white sands - you have the feeling of being on a privately owned beach. The Aquarium is closeby so a nice treat for kids . Our oceanfront Junior suite had a nice view of the beach , fireplace that you can set and comes on if the temp drops. The room and amenities were clean as well. The staff was also polite and helpful. We made our own arrangements for food and drinks but the wet bar was well stocked and reasonably priced if you needed it.

Room Tip: the oceanfront suites are more expensive - but you get what you paid for ;-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
I am so glad your family enjoyed your stay! The aquarium is one of my favorite parts of Monterey. They are constantly upgrading exhibits and adding new features to make it better and better. I hope you were able to enjoy some of the nice weather we have had lately. I’m so happy the staff provided helpful service to you and your family. I hope you are able to return again, as we would be delighted to have you back here as our guests again. Thank you for your review!

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our stay here was a gift from a friend, who was thrilled she had found such a lovely place for us to stay. After being allowed to check in a little early by the friendly staff, we met another staff member at our car, who helped us load up his golf cart and drove us to our room. I was disappointed that our second floor ocean view deluxe jr. suite was set back so far that we could only catch glimpses of the water between the many buildings. There was a nice balcony with chairs and even binoculars, but the rainy weather made this feature unusable during our stay. The golf carts that you are required to use (you have to leave your vehicle in the parking lots by the main lobby building) looked like fun and I'll bet many enjoyed them (esp. kids!), but again, our rainy weather just made it annoying to have to run to the cart, climb onto the damp seats & zip up the vinyl sides, drive to the parking lot where our car was, pull our car out of our space, park the golf cart, all so we could simply drive our car.
Our room was lovely. With a cozy fireplace & family room, aforementioned balcony (binoculars provided by resort), a very comfy king bed and not one but two large flatscreen TV's, it was very nice. The bathroom layout was interesting - the standard bathtub and two pedestal sinks were right next to our bed, open to the sleeping area - the toilet and shower were behind a pocket door. Other than some typical neighbor noise, the resort is quiet and peaceful.
We liked the view from the bluff above the beach; several other guests were making good use of the chairs provided by the resort. Again, the rainy weather prevented us from making the most of the resort during our stay, so I feel we can't give a full experience review.
We ate at the resort's Kula Ranch restaurant for dinner and it was pretty good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
It seems from your review that the weather you experienced while here unfortunately had a negative impact on your stay. I really enjoyed the positive points you pointed out regarding the staff and room features. I must agree certain aspects of the resort are more easily enjoyed with less inclement weather, and unfortunately Mother Nature is the one item we cannot control. We do our best to offer solutions for those rainy days, like having covers on the golfcarts to keep out brisk wind and rain, and keeping the rooms cozy with items such as the fireplace, Kerurig coffee makers, room service, and Pay-Per-View movies. I would like to apologize for the confusion regarding the room type. We offer 3 room types. Partial view rooms offer a mostly dunes view and partial ocean view. The main confusion lies in the difference between Ocean View & Ocean Front. Our ocean views offer views of the ocean with some partial obstruction, and the Ocean Fronts are situated directly on the front line, with nothing separating you from the water except for sand and sanctuary. I am glad that you were happy with the interior of the room and hope you are able to give the resort another try in the future.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom condo (Worldmark Timeshare) for my husband, myself and daughter and fiance in early January. The resort is beautifully maintained. The grounds are meticulous and there is a true feeling of serenity here. The beach is just a short walk from all units. We stayed on the 2nd floor so had a small view of the ocean. January is cold and windy and we expected that but it did make staying at the beach for any length of time difficult. The resort is a combination of timeshare owners and public guest rooms. The timeshare units are not right on the beach but it didn't really matter as it is so close. Timeshare owners do not get usage of the golf carts which are a blast (we have stayed here before as regular guests not timeshare owners and my stepson also rented a public unit which was very nice although much smaller than the 2 bedroom we had). The 2 bedrooms are large enough but smaller than most other Worldmark resorts but it was still nice to have a fireplace, two bathrooms, two bedrooms and a full kitchen as well as a gas grill on the patio. The staff is very friendly and attentive. When we misplaced my stepson's golf cart key they brought us a replacement in just a few minutes at no charge. There is only one restaurant on the premises and nothing else within walking distance so good idea to bring your own food especially if you are staying in the timeshare units that have a full kitchen. Walmart is just down the street and we went there for groceries. Monterey and Carmel are a very short drive away and a fun place to spend the day. If you stay in the timeshare unit and don't need room service and can live without maid service and don't need a wild nightlife at your doorstep you will love this place. Public guest rooms do have maid and room service though. We have stayed here 3 or 4 times and enjoyed every visit. They also have a bonfire out on the beach at night which is a lot of fun especially when it is so cold. They provided lots of wood and gave us the newspaper to start the fire and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Overall, this place is a calm and wonderful retreat for families and couples.

Room Tip: If you stay in the timeshare units ask for the 2nd floor as you have a better chance of a small ocea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thanks for writing a two-for-one review! Most families aren’t able to experience both the timeshare and the resort at the same time. For those readers who weren’t aware, our property is unique because we have the opportunity to share it with 3 other separate ventures, WorldMark by Wyndam, Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse, and Serenity Spa. The Worldmark timeshare is its own entity and you must either be a member or know a member to stay in one of their larger, condo style units. As you described, the timeshare units have two bedrooms, with less view of the ocean, closer parking, and no golf carts. Sanctuary rooms have Ocean and Dunes Views, golf carts and more distant parking, and are standard hotel style rooms. As I personally do not work for Worldmark, I cannot comment specifically on their units but hear nothing but good things from passing guests. Whether staying with Worldmark or Sanctuary, I know both entities onsite do our best to work together and provide the best possible service to all guests throughout property. As you specified, there is only Kula Ranch on property, but other local restaurants within driving distance. Everyone onsite is happy to point you in the right direction when it comes to grabbing a good bite to eat. Whether staying at Worldmark or Sanctuary, you can always stop by the local Wal-Mart for snacks, or my personal favorite, grab some fresh fruits, veggies, and snacks at our local Sunday Morning Farmers Market. I do hope that your family is able to come visit both Worldmark and Sanctuary again. Thank you so much for your detailed review!
toronto canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This resort is a lovely piece of private get away on the coast. It is a reasonable drive from the quant towns of pebble beach , carmel and monterrey. It has a fantastic beachfront , quiet and away from crowds. The rooms are very nice and have nice decks onto the ocean.

I am a fan,and the place is lovely but My only advice to future guests is to think about your dining, the onsite restaurant was very good for one night and a lunch, but you'll eventually Want variety , and there are not places in walking distance. Fine if you are adults and have a DEsig driver. But would not be the easiest if you had fussy kids or if couples wanted to both enjoy yhe california wines.

The staff set an ocean front bonfire out each night , they were very nice staff and the bonfire was great.

Room Tip: You can hear and see the ocean from the ocean front rooms. The perfect sound .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thanks for review. I am glad you found the onsite restaurant appetizing, and can understand how you may want more variety for a longer stay. There are some great places about ten minutes away, so please always feel free to talk to your concierge for more detail or recommendations. The bonfire is a great place to enjoy one of the California wines you were talking about, and we actually sell Monterey county wines here at the lobby. I have heard the sunsets on the bonfire have been spectacular lately and am so glad you were able to enjoy it. Feel free to contact us next time you are headed our way!

Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed in a beachfront suite recently, and absolutely loved it! The view was incredible, and the staff was very friendly! The room was very clean and nice! There were a few minor things in the room that I could say were not perfect, but all minor things that just dont matter, considering the location and price. You just can`t find a secluded, beachfront, all around nice place at this price point! I had the candles, rose petals and champagne, which were a wonderful surprise for my girlfriend as we walked in the door! I would suggest an upstairs room if available, as it is a bit of a better view of the waves crashing down from your balcony and room. Definitely will stay there again!

Room Tip: Upstairs room if available, gives a bit better view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Our romance package is such a great surprise for guests, and I’m so glad it worked out well for you and your girlfriend! Our ocean front rooms offer great views with a close proximity to the ocean, and it seems as though you had a true appreciation for that. I am truly happy to see the excitement you portrayed in your review, and am so glad we met your expectations on so many levels. If there are any minor issues in the room you would like to bring to our attention, please feel free to fill out the survey emailed to you after your check out, or email or call me directly. We are always looking for ways to improve and guest feedback is the best way to do that. Thanks again and we hope to see you two in the future!

Ottawa, ON, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here for only one night when travelling through the coast. We found this hotel to be a great find! Our room was spotless and very cozy. The bathroom is insanely large and comes with nice bathrobes. The fireplace was a great value as it was cool during the night. The bed was plush and comfortable.

You are driven to your room in your own little golf cart that you can subsequently take to explore the resort. I enjoyed driving it around (although you could easily walk). The beach access is nice and it was pleasant just to sit and listen to the waves. We had a partial ocean view - if we had stayed longer, it would be worth getting a full view.

We had the breakfast option - VERY cute how they deliver your food to your room in a little picnic basket. Well worth the 10$/pp as the food was pretty decent. Each room has a Keurig machine for coffee, which is also nice.

I would definately stay here again. Nice, cozy and romantic spot.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thanks for your review. I am so glad you happened to find us for your one night stay through your coastal trip. The breakfast here is very convenient and a nice easy way to get the morning started. I am glad it was to your liking. I really appreciated the photos you took of the resort as well! Feel free to give us a call next time you need a night away and are in the area!

West Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful 3-day getaway to celebrate our 10th anniversary at this beautiful gem of a resort. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. When we arrived, we were received with a warm welcome and a scenic room equipped with a cozy fireplace, a bottle of wine, a smores kit, a relaxing living area and a comfy bed. They also had a wine tasting when we were checking in which was a nice touch! We could have easily stayed in the room the entire stay, but couldn't resist to venture out and take in all of the beautiful sites nearby. If you choose not to drive off of the property, you are steps away from the most breathtaking coastline around. We would come back in a heart beat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your great review and kind words regarding our staff. One of guest’s favorite things about the resort is the fact that need be, you can stay in your room the whole time and never have to leave. For those who are feeling adventurous, Monterey, Carmel, Moss Landing, and Big Sur are all a quick drive through Highway 1. Thanks again for the review!

Email: guestrelations@thesanctuarybeachresort.com

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!