“A great Family getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Marina
San Francisco, California
“A great Family getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was a great getaway from SF with two young ones our partial view jr. suite was beautiful. A front porch with chairs, fireplace and fold out coach for the kids and their own tv. The beach was gorgeous, the weather perfect, beautiful sunset and a fire at night to roast marshmellows all added to this amazing stay. We enjoyed the large pool and jacuzzi at night with the kids along with other families, everyone was so friendly. We recommend this to everyone, their family and dogs. We look forward to our next getaway here with a full view jr. suite a meal at their resturant and maybe a massage.

Room Tip: Full View jr. Suite is great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ManagementSBR, Front Office Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your review. It sounds as though you and your family had an enjoyable time here. It’s great to hear that you were also lucky enough to experience some warm weather and beautiful sunsets! I’m glad to see that you were able to enjoy some of our amenities .Thanks again for choosing us for your family getaway, and we hope to see you back here soon!

Katherine
Phone: 831-883-9478
Fax: 831-883-9477
Email: guestrelations@sanctuarybeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I actually stayed here back in October of last year for our honeymoon. We were a bit late on crossing a place to stay since we were low on cash because of why we spent on our wedding but a few people knew our situation and blessed us with the opportunity to have out honey moon. Well let me just say that we my husband made the reservation for the day after the wedding when we arrived at the location we were greeted by the front desk and the lobby was small and cozy. We did have to wait a little while to get our room but I didn't mind We took the opportunity to go around to the aquarium. Front desk called us when the room was ready. I walked in and It was beautiful. We were 2nd furthest from the beach we could hear the waves. An see the bonfire! Cozy beds! Big bathroom! You get your money's worth! I have suggested this place to friends an they have loved their stay as well.

• Stayed November 2011
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
I wanted to thank you so much for leaving the great review that you did. I'm happy to see you still thinking of us a whole year after your stay! It sounds like you have some amazing family & friends who care about you guys very much. I'm thrilled that they were able to provide the means for you and your new husband to visit us. Now, I suggest you don't wait an entire year until your anniversary to come back and see us again. Call us directly the next time you are ready for the best possible. See you soon!!!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

my wife and i had our first trip away together, two in between, and chose this place as our honeymoon destination.

we love it here. the Junior Suites with an ocean view are the best thing going - there's a deck with captain's chairs, a fireplace, a sliding glass door - light the fire, open the glass door and windows, and enjoy the ocean crashing on the private beach. GREAT way to spend a weekend away!

Room Tip: ask to stay in a second floor ocean front Junior suite...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for such a great review. The staff and I very much appreciate the fact that you chose our humble little resort as the place for your once-in-a-lifetime celebration. I don’t think you should wait till the anniversary to come back though. We’ll look forwards to seeing you soon!
Murrieta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed at this resort a couple times in the last year...This last visit was very disappointing. We contacted Reggie (the manager) several weeks in advance of our stay because we were celebrating our sons 30th birthday with 3 couples joining us at the resort. The stay started with rude front desk people. We had gotten there around 1 on a friday and no rooms ready. We understood but the attitude of the front end staff was out of line and uncalled for. I have had better customer service from Monterey Bay Lodge, which by the way is where we will be staying from now on....If this resort is going to advertise and charge as a resort, we expect a certain level of customer service. They did try to put us in a nicer room the last night, but put our guests in the same room we had just moved from because of the loud noise all night from the water heater...We will never stay here again....Poor customer service, do yourself a favor and stay somewhere less expensive and get better customer service!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I wanted to thank you for giving us feedback about your stay. I know you found some attributes of the resort to be wonderful, I know the overall feeling you have towards us is one of disappointment. Its not enjoyable to admit that we did not meet any one of our guest’s standards and in this case, I feel that we came up short for your entire family.

Although you have written us off completely and for that I do not blame you, there are a couple of things I want you to know. First, every time I get a low ranking score on TA, I sit down with the agent(s) in question and we go over how the interaction could have been handled better. In this case, that conversation has already taken place. Secondly, the water heater issue is being addressed this week. I know exactly which room you speak of as I was the person who checked you out. The maintenance department will be draining the water heater (which will release any mineral deposits – the reason for the noise) and we should not hear this complaint again about the room. Though you may have never return to stay with us again, I want you and our potential future guests know that we ALWAYS take our guests sentiments seriously and this is no exception. Thank you for reading.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here as a base for our whale watching trip from Moss Landing Harbour. The rooms are lovely, the bed was so comfy and all facilities were pretty much what we needed. The fire in our room and little kitchen were a bonus. The hot tub outside was amazing and the view from the room was great. The rooms were not very soundproof and we had a big family next to us so it did have a bit of a kids holiday village feel but we still really liked the place. The golf buggies were a fun touch. We were, however, disappointed by the room service meals from the on sight restaurant. As there are not many other options near by the prices are high and the food is not good. There are plenty of good options a bit further away so you would be fine if you have a car.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review you left about our resort. You painted a nice picture with your words and I never can get enough of that. I’m glad you included the note about “home base for whale watching”. That’s one of the ways I first discovered this place myself. Feel free to contact us again when you are ready to return as we’d love to see you again.
Kingwood, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I vacationed here in late August. We were treated very courteously and the staff took a special interest in our needs. Our room was clean and nicely decorated. Sadly, it was rather chilly and we were not able to enjoy our balcony. Also, a great portion of our oceanfront view was blocked by a huge sand dune. We enjoyed the complimentary wine upon our arrival and we also had a great time with the golf cart! Wish we could have stayed longer in order to take advantage of the many amenities offered at this resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you kindly for the review. The resort staff is genuinely interested in making sure our guests have a comfortable, relaxing, and enjoyable stay. Anything less will not be tolerated and. I'm glad we made a good impression on you. Though August is always predicted to have nice weather, we did have a lot of foggy days this year. Our Indian summer seems to keep receding to later in the year. A few days ago on October 1st, we had a record 89 degrees and it was joyously welcomed throughout the region. Please come and see us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We found the most competitive rate by booking directly with the hotel, even better than by going through internet third parties such as expedia, booking.com or last minute. We found the booking process extremely simple. We dealt with Chelsea on the reception team who answered our many questions to ensure that we had the right hotel / location and the right room type etc to suit our requirements. We also negotiated on price directly with the hotel and in the end we chose an Ocean View room.
The hotel was easy to find and from the moment we arrived we felt pampered and looked after. The only ‘off putting’ thing from initial perception as you drove up was the double decker bus parked outside that didn’t appear to move throughout the holiday and didn’t fit into the beautiful sand dune environment (not sure why it was there). Walking into the reception felt like walking into a spa. There was a relaxing ambience and a warming fire and a friendly greeting by the lady (I would love to remember her name as she was very good) on the reception desk. We were made to feel very welcome and the check in procedure also included info on the resort and the immediate area. We were encouraged to come and ask any questions or get tourist information / recommendations at any point. Our bell man, Kevin then took us and our luggage to the room and showed us around – professionalism and friendliness again was exceptional plus he told us a lot about the resort / local area etc.
Our room was a good size, very clean and had everything we would need for our week’s stay. We had amazing views of the ocean and across the sand dunes. Furnishings were good, bedding seemed brand new, bed extremely comfortable for good night sleep, robes provided and little extras such as binoculars, ipod docking station etc were provided. I would agree with the comment about the bathroom being large in proportion to the room as we appeared to have a huge cupboard in the bathroom with just a chest of drawers and this space could maybe have been used better. There was plenty of drawer space and hanging space – only downside not nearly enough coat hangers for a week’s stay (in hindsight perhaps we should have asked for some more, although did seem limited compared to other hotels stayed in). The hotel publicises its environmental interests and as such it would have been nice to have seen larger refillable bottles of shampoo etc in the bathroom as opposed to smaller bottles which needed to be thrown away. It would be nice to have shower gel as well as shampoo and soap provided. Room also provided a kitchen area with a selection of mugs and glasses, a sink, coffee maker and microwave and the mini bar fridge had plenty of space for personal items such as water and milk too. The room also had pool towels and plenty of fresh towels for the bathroom provided each day. We received a turn down service each night and saw these two ladies on several occasions as they turned down the bed, brought in chocolates and ice for drinks. Again extremely polite and helpful. We got allocated our own personal golf buggy for the duration of our stay. To be honest this was more of a nice touch than a necessity as everything is of short walk from each other, but would be ideal for elderly or less able guests or like us if you just want fun driving it about!
The hotel does do a breakfast basket delivered to the room for $10 person which we did not use as we preferred to go out and about. There are some good local cafes and a Starbucks within minutes drive that we used and also a Supermarket and plenty of restaurants nearby. Our favourites were Frutti de Mar and Lee’s Chinese (Marina), La Normandie and Fandangos (both in pacific Grove). We were reluctant to go to the Kula Ranch restaurant onsite after the reviews on here but after arriving late back one night we gave it a go. Service was ok (nothing to complain about but not exceptional either) but we also had no complaints about the food either which was actually very good (maybe just the food we chose or we were lucky!)
Taking everything into account, we would highly recommend the Sanctuary. There was something amazing about hearing the waves of the pacific ocean as you woke up or sitting on the balcony soaking up the view. Likewise at the end of the day watching the sunset over the ocean. It was the type of place where you felt that you had ‘come home to’ at the end of a day sightseeing, without needing to do a thing as everything you needed was simply there at the right time and place provided with a smile. Relaxation and service excellence at its best.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend an ocean view room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this review. Can you believe I was pretty much sitting on the edge of my seat scrolling to see what you would right next. LOL, I know I work here but kudos to writing a review to where even I was looking forward to the next line

I appreciate you weighing in on those aspects of the property that you feel could use some help. Your suggestion for using refillable bottles of shower amenities has actually already been taken into consideration. We run a business on the California coast and therefore are always mindful of our environmental footprint. That's the main reason behind the included golf cart, the in-room water conservation program, and the relatively robust back-of-the-house recycling program.

Of course you're invited to come back and stay anytime. After all, I can’t wait to read your next review!

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!