“If you like being by the ocean and sand, this is your stop!” 5 of 5 stars

Sanctuary Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3295 Dunes Rd, Marina, CA 93933   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Marina
Denver, Colorado
“If you like being by the ocean and sand, this is your stop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have now stayed twice at this hotel. It was the Dunes Resort the first time, and I guess has changed management or just the name since my first stay, but I still enjoyed this time as much. It's a great location, right on the ocean, surrounded by the sands dunes (protected areas I believe). It's so refreshing to go to bed hearing the ocean and smelling the salty air. The rooms were pleasant, and big enough for two, and both I've stayed in came with fireplaces. They were well kept and spotless. Keep in mind, this is not the Ritz or penthouse suites, but a great getaway hotel on the beach. Adjust accordingly. Personally, I enjoy being on the beach more than sitting in my room all day and night anyway. The pool and hot tub were well cared for and clean, and nice to hop in on the cool nights. I didn't have a ton of interaction with the staff, but what I did have was pleasant. This is one of my favorite getaways, and you're practically in Monterey, with a short drive to Carmel, Pebble Beach, and Big Sur. There aren't many places I'd rather be anywhere than this part of CA, and this is a great hotel to stay while there.

Room Tip: Ocean view all the way! All are within a very short walking distance to the beach though. I think th...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for writing & posting your review. I appreciate very much your continued business as I read this was your second time here. You referenced some great qualities of our humble little resort and I was so glad to see that you enjoyed them. I like your point about the Ritz too… we certainly are realists here and we realize that we are not the Ritz Carlton, however we make every effort to conduct ourselves and provide services much akin to high-priced, high-quality hotels and resorts around the world.

I’m looking forward to having you again so that you can experience those parts of the resort you missed out on this time around. We will hopefully see you very soon!

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Lafayette, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

I dont know why we haven't given up on Sanctuary by now.
We used to love this place. We stayed here again trying to finalize wedding plans. The staff were Completely unhelpful unless we wanted to have a reception at their hokey restaurant. The place isn't being well maintained especially for the price.
We decided that we still wanted to stay here for our wedding because of it's sentimental value for us. We called to book and the woman on the phone quoted us MORE than the web pricing. She was rude and unpleasant. She didn't sound like she wanted our business. When my husband asked nicely if he could talk to the manager, she told us that he was unavailable and she didn't know when he would be available. Normally they discount for return customers. You would think that they would be a little friendlier to people who are getting married! Sheesh.

• Stayed July 2011
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
I want to address the issues you raised in your review but before I do, I want to point out that your comments are based on a phone call to the resort and not on an actual stay itself. Furthermore, you did stay with us back in April 2011, but I would hardly think that a stay 16 months ago warrants another bad review in present day.

We take pride in our resort based both on the part we are responsible for (the rooms, décor, service aspect, etc.) and the parts we are not responsible for (the ocean, the dunes, the soothing beachfront environment). That being said, we know that weddings are a special treat here and we view each on a specialized individual basis. We have a resort coordinator who gives an abundance of attention and know-how to each couple's needs and this attention to detail is not something we take lightly. That being said, we also have requirements and standards that go along with this service. For instance, we require potential wedding clients to agree to a contract that entails use of the site as well as a number of guest rooms. These contracts may or may not entail the use of the Kula Ranch restaurant but this can be negotiated with our sales staff.

Of course there is no excuse for dismissive behavior at the front desk so I do want to take a moment and apologize if you felt that your requests were not handled in an appropriate way. If you are still interested, please let me know and I will gladly put you in contact with the appropriate staff members.
surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel, the fact that I am posting this review now shows how dreadful this place is.

They are not suites - just large rooms, packed full of furniture. During our stay they brought an EXTRA chair, as they did not think there was enough furniture already!`

The walls are very thin. If an adjacent room is occupied you will hear every word.
`
If you are unlucky enough to get a ground floor room you will hear even more:
Your neighbours climbing the stairs,
Your neighbours walking around
Every time the toilet flushes it's like its in your room as the pipes run near your bed
Every time water is used upstairs you will hear it.

Cleanliness is poor:
When we arrived the floor was dirty.
The coffee maker was so dirty it was unusable - so they sent a broken one
The veranda is dirty

Bed is very springy - so if your partner moves it will disturb you.

Doors are a particular problem.
One wardrobe door is hanging off
The doors to the veranda barely open - it's very noisy when they do open.

"Do not disturb" is ignored by staff, they just keep knocking and calling out. Great when you have a baby sleeping.

The heating is by GAS fire, which is very unsafe for small children as the whole surround gets exceptionally hot.

Staff are not very clever, often found lounging around almost horizontal in the lobby area.

It is right on the beach - the state beach - which is busy even on a cold day.

What a waste of money and valuable vacation time.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an upstairs room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
One glance at your review and it would appear as though there is nothing good about this property. We both know that is far from the truth and yet your review only seems to point out (in an egregious fashion) the negative aspects of our resort. You are long gone now but its important to know for the other guests reading this, that you are encouraged to call the front desk and ask for a a manager anytime you feel like your stay is not living up to your standards. I am always on hand to assist you and would love the opportunity to do so while you are still on property and I have the means to do so.

Derrick Pearson
Director of Guest Relations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

My husband Kirk and my wonderful service dog Sofie brought me to the Sanctuary Beach Resort for my 60th birthday.
We called and explained our desire for a room where I could lay in bed and watch the ocean. We spoke with a lovely, accommodating young woman named Katherine who took the time to consult with a bellman before suggesting ocean front room 608. She also arranged for us to have a microwave in our room.
On my birthday, my husband ordered food from the restaurant onsite. We shared tortellini and prime rib sitting at the end of the bed with the convenient little table on rollers pulled up in front of us. The iPod deck made it possible for us to listen to our favorite music while enjoying the sunset from the best view table in the entire Monterey peninsula.
When we asked about staying an unplanned fourth night, the staff got busy and made it happen for us.
Our plan included breakfast which was fresh and delivered on time by friendly smiling people. The housekeeping staff were all so nice and attentive to ensuring we were completely happy.
We've been coming here since it first opened - the current staff and management are the best the resort has ever had.
Thank you to all for a wonderful, perfect birthday!

• Stayed May 2012
Your review was an utter delight to read, I'm so glad you wrote it! We are always striving to bring in new clients but I have to tell you that we most appreciate our guests who return because it is a clear indicator that we are doing things right. I'll be honest with you, my favorite part about your review and those of some others is that you point out the personal touch given by our staff members. Katherine is one of five star front desk agents who takes every guest's needs as serious as her own and loves to assist visitors to our property. Please feel free to come back and let us show you another delightful experience!
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We love staying here when we want to get away for a couple of days. It is right on the beach and we see pelicans, gulls, and occasionally dolphins swimming just beyond the surf line. Surfers hit the waves periodically and we usually see someone hang gliding off the cliffs about 60 feet above us. This last time we flew a kite too, which took us back to our forgotten childhoods, several decades ago. The rooms are nice, a bit small, but comfortable. They have flat screen TV’s and DVD’s and players for a nominal charge. The staff is helpful. Guests are not allowed to drive around the sanctuary, though each room comes with its own golf cart. The hotel is close to Monterey, so it is a short drive. There is a restaurant on the premises, which is fairly good---Hawaiian, themed with sushi.

Room Tip: Discounts available for repeat customers
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for leaving us a sweet review! Though I am not a surfer myself, I like to occasionally(and I do mean ooccasionallylol) take a dip into the water at the beach here in front of Sanctuary, and when I do I usually see at least two or three brave souls tackling the thunderous waves that pummel our beachfront. I'm more of a 'set up the grill and lets eat' type of guy but to each his or her own.

Just to clarify a couple of points that you raised. We certainly do have flat screen TV's and DVD players, however as of March 2012, we have decided not to charge our guests for the DVD player rental. They are available to any guest free of charge simply by requesting one. Its also worth noting that the golf carts assigned to each room are for the guest to use to get around. Of course any of our five bellmen on staff will be happy to drive you, we encourage our guests to explore the property on their own by zipping around in the golf cart. Thanks again for the review, and we are certainly looking forward to seeing you again.
Hayward, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Wonderful weekend getaway......nice accommodation in a relaxing setting. Close to Carmel and Monterey. Restaurant was good for one evening. Friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Thanks for leaving us a review on your stay. I'm happy that you had a good time. Please join us again soon.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Awesome! This place is so sweet! From the time you check in to the the time you check out nothing is or was an issue. You check in and then are met at your car and taken up to your room in a golf cart. You are taken to your room and are given your key to your golf cart. From there you are in heaven with the views and the sound of the ocean. Try to get room 711 deluxe or the suite next door for some really fantastic views of the ocean. Everyone we met or saw was so helpful or smiling or giving little waves as you passed them. The golf carts you use to get around the property are a blast! I would return just for them!!! Oh and the views. The rooms are lovely and well styled. You have your own balcony or patio overlooking the ocean or the dunes. A Walmart less than 5 minutes away for anything you need but you would never know it is there because of the location of the resort. A restaurant is on site if you do not feel like driving anywhere but am unsure of the hours. Everything you wish to do in the area is a hop, skip, and a jump away but you are far enough away from the tourist traffic so it is not a bother. Did I mention the views and the golf carts?

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have the best view. Pick from the sand dunes or the ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Reading your review, I could almost feel the excitement that you felt towards our little boutique resort! I know the process well, but even I got a thrill from reading your recollection of the check-in process! I think I might have to agree with you that the golf carts are one of the most fun parts of an experience here. You call me the next time you want to visit, and I'll make sure your golf cart is fully charged and ready to zip you across the property. I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!