“Another wonderful visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Wrentham
“Another wonderful visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I have been staying at the Sea View Inn for the past 6 years on a regular basis, usually twice a year for a week at a time. Often I am traveling alone but on occasion my family accompanies me and never a disappointment. I think that I have probably stayed in just about every room, or at least every "class" of room in the hotel.

I have never been disappointed, the rooms have always been clean, the staff have always been courteous and helpful. The loaner bikes are great and the local eateries are very friendly and reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
seaviewinn, GM at Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, November 21, 2009
Thank you for all your Kind Words!
It's ALWAYS a pleasure having repeating guest as yourself.
Hope you have Wonderful upcoming Holidays and many Blessings for you and your Family!

Best,
James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband, 2 teenage boys and myself spent the last few days of a whirl wind USA holiday at the Sea View Inn. We were so impressed from the very start, from making the booking to arriving there. The Inn by far exceeded our expectations in every way. We stayed in the 2 Bed room Penthouse suite which was fantastic. It was very clean, more than ample space and a glorious view from the big deck/balcony. Full kitchen, spa bath and 3 t.v's. The complimentary coffee and other items in the bathroom were a nice touch. All the linen was fresh and excellent quality and in abundance. The Inn is perfectly situated, beach, shopping, laundry, restaurants, airport etc. A huge grateful thanks to James and Jimmy who manage the Inn for their wonderful hospitality, we will definitley be back again and we highly reccomend the Sea View Inn to all travellers. Thanks for making the end of our trip amazing!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

My girlfriend and I were in Manhattan Beach for a wedding, and for business. I used to live 5 blocks from this hotel from 1998 - 2005. I referred people to it a lot who were coming to visit me, if I did not have enough room in my place. It was always clean, basic, and sufficient, with a great location. Things have changed...

I checked in and was tired from a cross country flight and flopped onto the bed. Within 30 minutes my itchy skin told me there were bed bugs. I jumped out of bed and took a hot shower, and planned to ask to change rooms. I got online first to do some work, and the wireless came on initially, but it always kicked me off every 3-5 minutes. I'd log back on, and it would kick me off quickly, and this went on for hours. Clearly it did not work.

On top of these two major issues the bed linens and comforter were very old and faded, there was brown, gooey stuff on the foyer and bath floor. When I asked the front desk to have someone scrape this off the floor, they said, "we really don't have anyone to do that."

Clearly we could not work without wireless and could not sleep in that bed. I was on a brand new Macbook Pro, my girlfriend got on her work PC, and neither would stay online. So we decided this room was a lost cause, and went to the front desk to see about a new room. They did not have much available, there was one room, but it looked exactly like our old room. It had faded bedding, and a tired appearance that led us to believe there were still bed bugs. And we also could not get online in this room as well. Although it was nice of them to try and get us a new room, with fears of bedbugs and no ability to work (which makes a work trip difficult), we told them we'd leave, and that we would pay for the one night, although we had not been there for more than a few hours we did check-in, and felt we owed them one night. This is where the fun really began....

The front desk clerk said the manager would have to charge us for all 6 nights we had reserved, since we were past the 7 day cancellation window. We ask to speak to the manager, and the clerk said that he would not be back for several days, And that he was taking a few days off. We did not argue, and said that we would come back to discuss later. As soon as we left we saw the clerk get on the phone in a hurried fashion, and were sure he was calling the manager who lives only a few blocks away. In a later discussion, the manager whose name is James, admitted that he rushed right down from his house to check out our room, and found no bedbugs, and said that he got online immediately in our room. He said that the wireless signal is so strong that he uses it at his house several blocks away. So I believe that that would either make us incredibly stupid technology users, or it would make him a liar. You decide.

In this later conversation the manager was babbling about spyware, and how Macs have a problem getting online sometimes on private networks, and things that I could just not follow because he was talking so fast. He was clearly making it up as he went along. I have had my Mac book Pro on dozens of different networks, both open and private, and have not had one problem until this event. We had both a Mac and a PC in the room, and neither one of them could stay online. But somehow he wanted us to believe that my Mac, and something having to do with spyware, were the problems. And he said that someone had just stayed in that room and had not complained of bedbugs. That may be true, but did he stop to think that that family may have brought the bed bugs with them?

He eventually agreed to reduce the number of nights that he charged us to 3 nights, after further debate, he agreed to reduce it to 2 nights. It was indeed nice of him to negotiate the number of nights down to what he believed to be a reasonable number, and although we felt it was too much, we did not want to argue any further. However, there was further cost to us.

We had to impose on several different friends and stay in their homes, as we could find nowhere else to stay. Luckily I still know many people who live in the area. Apparently the bed bugs got into my bag, and I brought them into one of my friends homes. So after throwing out my garment bag, and bringing in cleaners to clean his bedding, on top of the two nights at the hotel charges I spent another $300 on a new garment bag and cleaning my friends bedding. So the two nights and the additional $300 totaled over a $600 debacle for a few hours, in a poorly run hotel.

So the few hours that we spent in this hotel was quite an expensive adventure. I would like to say that in the past this hotel has had its act together, and I think with a small outlay of money for new linens and bedding and a massive "professional" cleaning, this would be the fun, efficient, clean and very well located Beach Hotel that it always was. But for right now I am afraid I have to give it a horrible rating, I hope that changes soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
seaviewinn, GM at Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, October 26, 2009
I appreciate your response.
I would like to address a couple issues you have written about. Firstly...
Bedbugs- this is from old and non washed linen. Our linen are washed daily and less than a year old. I would probably say it was a alergic reaction to possibly our detergent. Not deverting away from your claims, but we do have this case at the Sea View Inn.

Your internet....MOST hotels around the nation are ALL UNSECURED wireless netwerks is why people do not have problems getting on. If you are on a secured network as the Sea View Inn, I have found MAC computers have issues, but I resolve this after the guesst allows me to configure.
This guest did not allow or would take any help solving there issue so there was nothing I could do to help.

The internet was the issue after the first day and then all the other things came after. if you understand.

Best to you and hope you have a great day!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

I saw some of the negative reviews and almost cancelled--but glad I didn't. I travel a lot for work and can stay at fairly expensive hotels. I could have stayed at a more expensive hotel, but I wanted to run on the beach. (I didn't run because the fire a few weeks ago make the air pretty bad, even in Manhattan Beach.) This hotel is a great value. It's not high luxury, but the location is unbeatable. I was content with my room, didn't hear my neighbors (and I'm sensitive to noise), and found the management easy going and friendly (I had a last minute reservation change, which they accomodated without a problem). And jeez people, no fleas and the linens were relatively new. I will definitely stay again when in town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
seaviewinn, GM at Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
Thank you very much!
It's always a pleasure meeting new people and adding new family members to, "The Sea View Inn".
See you soon,
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

My husband & I were traveling to Manhattan Beach to visit our son. The hotel was perfect for us, we could walk anywhere we had to go ! Had a great ocean view sitting on the balcony. The people at the desk were very friendly & courteous and went out of their way to be of service. Will definetly stay there again & recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you again!
It also makes our day when having great guest as yourself.
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

Great Directions, easy to find, clean, comfortable rooms. We stayed in the Penthouse and the view was amazing. The office staff was very helpful with directions to local attractions and businesses. It was great to have beach chairs,boogie boards,bikes & towels for hanging out at the beach. We now have a new favorite activity...boogie boards....and they went out of their way to help us out with early check in and late check out....we will be back and will recommend (since we are referring travel agents) them to all wanting a relaxing fun pleasant stay for a reasonable price @ a great beach on the California coast.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Thank you!
We've always had very good luck with staff members at the Sea View Inn which makes our guest (FAMILY) feel right at HOME and that's what your experience should be at any hotel.
See you next time,
long island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

AWFUL PLACE!! if you like moldy and musty rooms, ancient bedspreads, stains on the floor, neighbors talking through the walls, broken bathroom doors, that scrape the floor loudly everytime you use the door and the worst of all FLEAS galore, than this is the place for you! We stayed in two different units during our stay, we were afraid to turn the lights on for fear of what would crawl out of the beds and on the walls.

When we complained about the FLEAS, instead of investigating the problem.,or compensating some of the$200 we had spent for this "LUXURY" suite, we were told that we must have brought the fleas in ourselves from the beach and that the former guests that stayed there had no problems, I couldn't believe that comment. I said we had seen fleas in the room BEFORE we went to the beach, my girls and husband and I had a terrible nights sleep because of the fleas and still can't believe the manager didn't bother to come and check out the room after the complaint was made. HE COULDN"T CARE LESS since he already had been paid. Nothing he can say can refute this review - Manhattan Beach is a beautiful, fun, town, BE SMART stay elsewhere!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
I appreciate your kind words.
I guess I won't be adding you to my Thanksgiving list.
Have a great day,
James

Been to Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!