“Sea View is Exactly That” 4 of 5 stars

Orbitz.com Travelocity
Sea View Inn at the Beach
3400 Highlands Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266   |
California
“Sea View is Exactly That”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Squeeeeeky clean room, quiet, great shower, bed comfortable, A/C perfect, free parking. This was a terrific overnight location w lots of great restaurants within walking distance. Don't miss the Fish Bar!

I didn't get a chance to use the heated pool, bikes, chairs or beach towels, but the ocean was lovely, at sunset, and sunrise the next morning.

Highly recommend Sea View Inn as a much better alternative to the chain hotels in the area.

Room Tip: My room was recently refurbished. Ask for one of those.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Bishop, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

By reading various reviews of the Sea View Inn, and having a local friend come check out the place, we knew kind of what to expect when we arrived, which is to say exceptional service, a serviceable room, and a great location.

We stayed in a penthouse. The view was panoramic, the suite airy and clean, the beds comfortable, the kitchen well laid out, the bathroom spacious, the parking designated, and the pool attractive and clean. These attributes alone made the visit a good one--for us (and we're pretty picky).

What did we have to overlook (things that kept the suite from being exceptional), the tube TVs in bedroom, which were mounted high on the wall, the sliding pocket door to the bathroom that didn't slide all that well, the comfortable, but slightly worn furniture, the entry lock to the deck missing.

Before any of these negatives have you clicking off this page, read this: the front desk guys, (Brandon especially) would do anything to make your stay a good one: a stack of free towels for the beach, no problem; free beach chairs and umbrellas, how many do you want?; free bikes for the family, available anytime you want; off-street parking for guests, yes we have room today; more chairs for the deck, we’ll have them up there in a minute. If we had requested a newer couch, I suspect these guys would do whatever they could to make it happen--truly four-star service.

Add to these positives: easy access from the 405 freeway, safe feeling neighborhood, lots of great food and a spa within a couple blocks, the beach just down the hill, three minutes away; and I have to say that our overall impression was that we couldn’t wait to come back here again (and remember we’re picky).

Room Tip: This review is of the southern penthouse.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I go back to the South Bay cities because my family has roots there, and because I just like it.

I took my young family there on a vacation post-Disneyland, and now we've been regulars at the Sea View Inn for almost 20 years (doing approximate math on our 20-something daughter). Our 2013 trip was just fine, thank you. As a Northern Californian who digs LA (yes, such people exist) I am grateful to have a place to hang on the beach but close enough to the museums -- hey people, LA has great museums; this is a culture town -- when I'm ready to get out of the sun. On a different scale, I've experienced $3,000/night rooms on St. Barth, and this ain't that, but the Sea View Inn rooms are perfectly OK, the Local Yolk is a few steps down the street for breakfast, the sand is just two blocks away, and you are IN an epicenter of Southern California beach culture. Share the dream.

On our most recent trip, we were faced with a regular checkout ahead of a nighttime flight. No problem. Beachtowels? Here you go. Umbrella? Right here. We were already checked out, but that did not matter. ALSO: A busy street runs through it. Sea View Inn has grown over time, taking over one small building after another. Ask. Some rooms are noisier than others. And a final double-note: The Sea View Inn is gay-friendly, a useful fact to know if you need that. But it is important also to say that the Sea View Inn does not project a single note that would jar a family experience, and I speak from long experience. This is a family hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly and accommodating staff! We were only able to stay a short time, but we made the most of it. Free use of beach cruisers, beach towels, umbrella and chairs made for a wonderful day! We will definatly stay here again! Thank you!!

• Stayed September 2012
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here with friends for one night. The hotel is literally 2 blocks from the beach and is in a great location with restaurants and shops nearby. There are beach chairs, beach towels and bikes to borrow - really great for a ride on the strand in the morning. Only a couple of cons - the room (especially the bathroom) was very small. It was a bit rundown/outdated, but clean. The pool is also a bit small, with only a few lounge chairs. All in all, we had a good time but I wonder if its a little pricey for what it is - I think its due for a renovation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was my second year staying at the Sea View Inn. Last year, I was in a small room in the main building by the pool. This year, we were in an apartment above the bake shop. The apartment was plenty spacious and unique. Very clean and secure. There is a musty smell (as any old building would have) when you first go in, but if you open up the windows for a bit, all is well. The staff is very helpful and courteous. The location and price cannot be beat for Manhattan Beach (I've also stayed in a rental and Springhill Suites in MB)...three blocks down to the beach. There are also lots of restaurants nearby as well as a market. I love the fact that they lend you beach towels, umbrellas, bikes, etc. My only suggestion surrounds the bikes. I realize the supply of bikes is limited for use by all guests. However, it would be great to have a handful of them available for day-long rental in case you want to take it on a longer trek with a picnic lunch for the day in a neighboring town or similar adventure (given the difficult parking situation around the beach towns). In that case, the 3 hour limit isn't really enough. The Strand is an awesome places to do sightsee through all the towns. Maybe when you register, you can reserve one of the long-term bikes by the day(?). Otherwise, an awesome place I would totally recommend and go back to again and again. Thanks for another great visit! ; )

Room Tip: Lots of options available depending upon your group size.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tokyo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stay in LA 30-60 nights per year on business/pleasure. Whether I am there by myself or with my family the Sea View Inn is my first choice. Location is just 2 blocks from the beach. There are plenty of restaurants and breakfast spots within walking distance. The hotel has everything from regular rooms with views/with no views to 1-2 bedroom "apartment-style" rooms with full kitchens. They have been doing a lot of renovation there lately and a lot of the rooms are recently updated. Staff are friendly, helpful, and really make you feel at home. I've recommended it to many friends and it has always been a winner.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!