“Saved the day...” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Saved the day...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

On a recent family trip to California we were booked for a two bedroom suite at the Townplace suites in Hawthorne. That hotel was a nightmare!
My husband being a platinum rewards member with Marriott called customer service and they quickly had us switched to this hotel thanks to the manager. (sorry don't have a name)
When we arrived we were so pleased. The two bedroom suite seemed recently renovated and very clean!
We felt this hotel saved the day!!!
Thanks so much!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Residence_Inn_MB_AGM, Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear Baybeblue,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your most recent visit to our property. I am sorry to learn our sister property did not meet your needs. I am glad that you found our penthouse suite met your needs. Penthouse suites are our most popular and we do our best to accomodate our platinum members in them when available. The 850 square feet are sufficient for most families. Once again, I thank you for sharing your experience.

Assistant GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed here while looking at colleges on the west coast. We chose Manhattan Beach because it was centrally located to the schools we were looking at. It is on a very busy street but sits back from the street, so street noise is no problem at all. We rented what they call a "penthouse", which was a living room, full kitchen w/table and chairs, roomy bedroom and bath (king bed) downstairs, then stairs up to a loft bedroom with king or queen bed, (not sure which), w/its own bathroom. Very roomy and nice. Very nicely decorated, too. The price was not that much more than a single room and well worth it. The place was clean and very comfortable. I especially liked the bed linens. They smelled very clean and new. Didn't feel or smell like hotel linens, which can have a funny smell to me. This is a very thoughtfully run hotel. They have magnets on the refrigerator that you can put on your door which say, "no service, please", "day sleeper" , or "service later, please." The kitchen was fully stocked with silverware and dishes. The cleaning person even loaded our dishwasher and started it while we were out. There is a laundry room behind the office and they will give you change at the desk and sell you detergent and dryer sheets. There were 4-6 washers and dryers and the room was clean and neat.

Breakfast was included in the room price and it was different each day. There was always coffee, tea, juice, cereal, yogurt and fruit, and breads and pastries. Also waffles. But each day the hot items changed. One day crepes, eggs, turkey bacon, home fries. Next day, pancakes and sausage, eggs and potato pancakes. Another day bacon and eggs and biscuits and gravy. Very nice dining room, but fills up quickly. We had to eat outside by the pool on two of the days. Luckily it was nice California weather in the middle of January. They were setting up heaters by the pool the second day. All in all, a very pleasant hotel. Front desk staff was always friendly and helpful, too.

One night we went to a great Italian restaurant in Hermosa Beach, just one block from the beach. Sorry, don't know name, but they make their own pasta and have a great wine list. Very romantic with candles. Afterwards, it's an easy walk to the beach and walk along the Strand. Very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear Amy07Washington,

Thank you very much for sharing your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.com. It is reviews such as yours that truly make our line of work very enjoyable. Our penthouse suites are our most popular room type; especially in the summer season when families travel together. We're glad you found our penthouse suites to meet your needs. Thank you once again for sharing your experience, if you are ever in the area, your friends here at the Residence Inn Manhattan Beach will be awaiting your return.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

The front desk people were nice whenever we had to interact with them.
The room was fine. Clean, everything in working order. The kitchen is decently equipped.... i wouldnt cook thanksgiving dinner there, but for the two of us for a week it worked perfectly. Everything in the kitchen is full size, so that was really nice.

It is easy to tell that the hotel is a bit older, but has been updated. TV is a nice, large flat screen that swivels easily. Not the greatest design to watch tv from the bed AND the sofa bed. The wood furniture seems to be a bit dated, but the sofa, linen, carpet are updated and in good shape.

Location is good, target (with food) is in walking distance. Straight shot to LAX.

Breakfast was very good, but hours a bit limited.
The evening meals (mon-thurs) are a nice touch. Seating for both is at a premium, so it might be easier to just grab something and go eat in your room.

The free wifi was great. very quick and tons of router points to log onto.

When parking on either friday or saturday night, we had to give out name and room number to the rent a cops controlling the parking lot. Im not really sure why there was this security. the neighborhood is quite safe. I think it might be to prevent people from throwing parties.

The only reason I would not stay here again was an issue with their "water heaters" apparently in one of the upstairs units of each room, the bed is against a wall that has a noisy water heater that goes off and on intermittently all day and night. Its not super noisy, and in fact it sounds like a fan or motor of some sort,. The management is very well aware of this (in fact they have a list/map of all rooms that that is an issue for). If you are a light sleeper, I would be sure to tell them before hand that you want a quite room that does not have the noise of the water heater. We changed our room since we were going to be there for over a week. They said something about it requiring a crane to replace them. Im not sure which genius designed the buildings like that..........

The location is good, and the rooms are comfortable. Kitchen is great. Breakfast was a great time saver in the morning, and the evening reception was often very convenient. But the noise issue needs to get resolved.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear MTSstm,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your most recent visit to our hotel. I am glad you were able to enjoy all of our amenities from our complimentary breakfast to our complimentary Wi-Fi. Our property is approximately 26 years old and unfortunately is showing signs of its age. We are in talks with our parent company over a full renovation that would address these issues. We will update our facebook and twitter pages with pertinent information once it has been finalized. Thank you again for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor.

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

I admit this is my first time staying at a Residence Inn, but it won't be my last. Rooms were really large - king-size bed, sitting area, full kitchen with full size appliances, good size bathroom. I stayed for 3 nights (granted, I arrived midnight the first night, and departed at 4:30a on last day). If you want to avoid having to eat out for every meal, this is a great option. The kitchen is a wonderful addition. My travels take me to the LAX area often, and I will most certainly consider returning here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
California City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

To read the full review on my stay at the Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach, CA, please visit: http://www.roadandtravel.com/hotelsresorts/2010/residence-inn-manhattan-beach-california.html. There, you'll find my entire review of the property as a professional writer and reviewer of hotels for Road & Travel Magazine.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Having stayed at the refurbished Marriott Residence nr Pasadena the previous week, we found this one a little run down, but the basic concept of the Rresidence Inn with the apartment style rooms was ideal for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. As with our stay at the other Marriott Residence, the staff were extremely polite and helpful. It was handy for the airport too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

So much to say, so little space - here are the highlights. Upon check-in, I found the door to my room unlocked and I just pushed to open it without a key so I was immediately worried about how secure my valuables would be after the next day's housekeeping. I was then unable to sleep at night due to a recurring, loud noise and vibration within the wall directly behind the bed which I subsequently learned came from some outdated system having to do with water (sorry, it was 4:30 a.m. and I don't recall the exact explanation but suffice it to say many prior guests likely complained because the front desk had a list from engineering as to which rooms have the noise and which don't). The following morning, after no sleep, I was going to be moved to a room "right across the parking lot" and someone was going to help me. He was very nice but didn't even have a luggage cart so he carried my suitcase on his back/shoulders and I took the rest and we trudged to the new location several buildings away. As we approached, in a light rain, my foot slipped on a slimy part of the cement and I fell hard. It was and remains extremely painful. (I later discovered the fall also broke the camera in my backpack). I could not put any weight on one leg and guest passing by mentioned that there was a slick spot there the prior day as well. After a cab ride to Urgent Care for x-rays and a knee immobilizer (which the hotel did pay for), I returned to find the staff useless in helping me deal with the resulting problems (e.g., how to get the prescriptions filled at the nearby pharmacy; what to do about return of the rental car, etc.). I was traveling alone and now unable to wallk, but the staff (with the exception of the wonderful engineer David) really did not seem to want to be bothered with helping me after that. For example, after I hobbled to the office on crutches to print my boarding pass, the front desk staff didn't even offer to open the door to help me as I left. I used most of my cash tipping strangers and cab drivers to help me take care of logistics, including trying to get some food in order to take the mediation. I did tell them that I wanted to move to another hotel but subsequently cancelled only because I was so exhausted and uncomfortable that I just couldn't keep going. In the morning, the front desk clerk refused to get anyone to help me with my 1 suitcase because it was too early (even though the night before I was told someone could assist me with it at any time). I reminded him that I was hurting and unable to walk without crutches so surely someone could come help me get it to the car which was really nearby. He implied that the food service staff that was there could not or should not be asked to help me because they were getting breakfast ready for all the other guests. (I guess he figured 5 minutes helping 1 injured guest would have negatively impacted the greater good of having available bagels for everyone else during the buffet that was not going to open for more than 2 more hours.) Well, not to be totally negative just because I'm still in pain a couple of days later and my trip was ruined, on the up side the hotel did have very comfortable pillows and it was only a short distance drive to the beach and other conveniences.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach? Share your experiences!