“Good Alternative to Airport Hotels” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Manhattan Beach
Weinfelden, Switzerland
“Good Alternative to Airport Hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We had an 18-hour layover in LAX. This is too long for just sitting on the bed and watching TV. So the question was: Where can we go shopping near LAX without a car? I’ve found 2 malls near LAX. Culver City / Fox Hills Mall are not really in my favorite part of town so it was Manhattan Beach. There are several hotels within walking distance of Manhattan Village and the Residence Inn looked like the best place for a family.

Taxi from / to LAX was 20$ including tip. We arrived at the Residence Inn after 10pm and we were afraid that we would have to go to bed hungry since the hotel has no restaurant and nearby fast food places were closed at this time. However, the Residence Inn has a small Minimart selling snacks like microwave pizza, instant noodles and chips. At quite reasonable prices.

Our 2-bedroom Penthouse Suite (422) was in far better shape than one would expect from this type of accommodation. Everything was working well and looking new. The only exceptions were the TV sets – there are 3 - which were aging with broken power buttons. We’ve seen a truck with new LCD TVs on the parking lot the next day, so this problem seems to be solved. Also, an in-room safe would have been useful. For those with wheelchairs or strollers it should be noted that this room type is located on the second floor with narrow stairs and no elevator. The second bed is on the gallery another flight up.

Free breakfast the next morning was again better than we had expected. Not really elaborate but a good choice of hot and cold items. The kids especially liked the waffle iron.

After breakfast, it was shopping time. The southern end of Manhattan Village (Ralphs supermarket) is a leisurely 10-minutes walk from the hotel. It’s a further 5 minutes to the northern end (Macy’s).

All the employees we met were not only friendly but enthusiastic.

We would certainly recommend this hotel. LAX airport hotels are usually quite expensive during the workweek. So despite the taxi fares, we ended up paying less for a great suite in a useful location than for a standard room at the airport.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Residence_Inn_MB_AGM, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, April 24, 2009
Dear faranghusband,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at my property. I am delighted to hear that you found it to meet your needs. I must apologize for the conditoion of the older television sets, but I am happy to inform you that we HAVE upgraded to new 32" flat panel LG television in all of our rooms; the only exception is the loft in the penthouse.

On behalf of the entire Residence Inn Manhattan Beach, I thank you for noticing our friendly and enthusiastic personalities; it is truly refreshing to be recognized for that.

We are always trying our best to meet the needs of our customers, so we once again thank you for sharing your experience.

Yours in Hospitality,

AGM

315 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

We stayed here one night in March, 2009 as we had a 6:30 AM flight out of LAX Airport. Residence Inn is our preferred hotel and we found this one in Manhattan Beach to be typical of the very nice accommodations and great level of service we've come to expect from Marriott.

We had the penthouse suite which featured a separate bedroom on the first floor (with its own full bathroom) and a second loft bedroom upstairs with a full bathroom. Check in was great, the front desk staff and others were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is about a mile from the beach (with lots of steep hills, up and down) and although we walked it, we would recommend that you drive to the beach/shopping area. The front desk recommended Tios, a counter service mexican restaurant about 2 blocks from the hotel, for our dinner which suited our purposes fine. Food was reasonably priced, fresh and tasty.

We did not have time or the opportunity to check out the rest of the hotel's services, other than to observe that the happy hour (5:00-7:00 PM) was packed and offered free wine and beer and soup and salad the one night we were there. The hotel was quiet and we left by 4:45 AM the next morning.

It was a very quick trip to LAX (about 4 miles), so the hotel was conveniently located for our purposes. We paid about $200 for our suite and it was worth it. We would consider staying here again if in the LAX/Manhattan Beach area.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Residence_Inn_MB_AGM, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, April 6, 2009
Dear NJ Family Traveler,

Thank you very much for sharing your most recent experience at our hotel. I am delighted to learn your expectations were met while staying here. I am also glad that you will consider staying with us if ever in the area; we look forward to welcoming you back home.

Regards,

Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I stayed in a Junior Penthouse Suite at Residence Inn, Manhattan Beach on March 11-13 & again on March 15-17, 2009. Both experiences were outstanding. The rooms were affordable, quiet, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was great with different warm foods each day. There was a fantastic reception from 5:30-7:30, Mon.-Wed. There is complimentary internet access that works without complication. There is complimentary transportation within a three mile radius. There is a printer in the lobby to print airline boarding passes. We were able to send a fax. There is a small market area to purchase sundry items. Parking is free. The heated pool and surrounding area are lovely.
Most important of all to me was the customer service. Traveling with my son and my 87-year-old mother-in-law, we had many needs. No one was impatient with us or critical of our needs. They volunteered to help us time and time again, many times without being asked. They stored our luggage on Fri. until my son picked us up after his work was completed. We were at poolside or in the lobby for way more time than must have been comfortable for the employees, but they never made us feel uncomfortable. Quite the opposite, they brought us water, made telephone calls for us, and stopped by for quick conversation. David, Oscar, Alma, and Frank G went way above and beyond normal customer service. Adriana Gomez noticed ways she could improve our stay and quietly offered suggestions. David brought us ice water by the pool. His positive attitude was so appreciated while we negotiated our way in an unfamiliar city. Frank took each of our requests in stride and answered all of our questions courteously and competently, never seeming to mind the endless stream of them. Oscar and David chauffeured us to the beach without complaint. The breakfast staff noticed when we needed help or when supplies were low, and we never had to wait very long for anything. The kitchen staff offered to provide items for us even if it meant they would be late finishing their shift. Dolores Escoban, General Manager, provided information when I requested it even though we were no longer guests at the inn. There were many other kindnesses, too; these are only a summary.
Having my soft drinks saved for me upon my return for the second stay meant much more to me than chocolates on pillows at expensive hotels. I have not seen this level of customer service when I stayed at more expensive hotels, and I highly recommend this Residence Inn.

• Stayed March 2009
Residence_Inn_MB_AGM, Asst. General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, March 20, 2009
Dear crhodes370,

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to share your recent experience at our property. On behalf of our General Manager, Dolores Escobar, we are truly ecstatic to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations; afterall, that is our goal. Thank you again for taking time out of your day to share this experience, I will certainly pass this on to our staff. On behalf of the team here at Residence Inn Manhattan Beach, we thank you for your patronage.

Yours In Hospitality,

Asst. General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed at this hotel from 3/7-3/10 in one of the two bedroom/two bath rooms. There were 5 adults and the Penthouse had plenty of room and the kitchen came in handy for snacks. The only negative is the pull out couch is not the most comfortable for an adult. We ended up taking the mattress and putting it on the floor which was better.
The hotel was very quiet, even though it seemed fairly full. Everyone that worked at this hotel was really nice and helpful. Whenever we passed an employee, from the maids to management, they always smiled and said hello. We needed directions and requested several items for the room and they were always helpful and prompt.
The complimentary Happy Hour was great; it was our evening meal on Monday night. The Manager was there making sure everything was well stocked. We ate at the complimentary breakfast also every morning and it had a lot of choices like waffles, crepes, eggs, ham, and fruit.
We walked to the beach which is a little over a mile where there are restaurants, stores, and the pier. It only took us 10 minutes to drive to LAX and about 20 minutes to Santa Monica. Hollywood is quite a bit farther and you can get stuck in traffic going there. We had tickets to the Bonnie Hunt Show and it only took us about 25 minutes to get there.
I would like to thank the Manager, Dolores Escobar, for a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel to others. I think I will look into staying here this summer with my family, the beach looks really nice and Manhattan Beach is a nice little town.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Residence_Inn_MB_AGM, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2009
Dear psdabj,

On behalf of Ms. Escobar and the entire Residence Inn Manhattan Beach staff, I would like to thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. We truly enjoy hearing all feedback from valued guests such as yourself. I am delighted to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your recent visit with us. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in town. Thank you again for your patronage!

Assistant GM
Leicester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Well located and only just over a mile from the beach. It is a good walk with many bars/restaurants and shops en route. There is a good cross section of restaurants and specialist shops. All runners should check out Village Runner - one block from the hotel - 1840 Sepulveda Blvd and the run to the beach and back is challenging, particularly the hill back. Hotel is very good and we chose based on previous feedback. Complimentary breakfast kicks off the day well and the well equipped kitchen is useful. We are likely to return next year but stay for longer in Manhattan Beach. All staff were very friendly and the service was good.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Stayed here for a few days in early January. While I wanted to stop in LA for a couple days, I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with LA proper after a long trans-Pacific flight, so I chose to stay in Manhattan Beach. What a great decision!

The only thing I can say that I found difficult about the Residence Inn was getting into it. The entrance off Sepulveda is hard to see, and if you miss it you have to completely circle around to get back as you can only turn across the intersection at certain times of day. Also, exiting the property you aren't supposed to turn left, which necessitates some turning around.

Once you are in though, the place is great. I didn't use the pool but it was quiet inviting, and the spa was nice. The rooms are located in mini-houses, which I think have 4 rooms per house, so it is very quiet. I had lots of luggage and going upstairs would have been awkward as there is no elevator, but I did have a room downstairs. Normally this would worry me, but the complex was well-patrolled and I felt quite safe.

The room itself was huge, having a full kitchen - which I hadn't expected. The bed was great, very comfy, and the large bathroom area was also a plus.

The breakfast area was great, though I wish it stayed open just a little longer. With a noon check-out time I would have liked to sleep in a bit more, but the breakfast closes at 9:30 on the weekend (earlier during the week), so if you wanted it you had to rise and shine. Still, waffles, eggs, bacon, biscuits, fountain drinks, tea, coffee, fruit... a great spread!

The area itself was also great. Close to the beach itself, close to shopping and restaurants, even a movie studio nearby! And if you did want to go into LA, the highways were close by and it didn't take long at all to get to Santa Monica, Hollywood or Beverly Hills.

Definitely the first place i will think of next time I am heading to the LA area.

• Liked — Overall location, service, staff
  • Disliked — Entering the complex from Sepulveda can be difficult, longer hours for breakfast service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicagoland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

Stayed at this property during New Years, basing out of Manhattan Beach for the Rose Bowl. This property met and exceeded my expectations in every way, and I am a regular Marriot customer at all brands.
Rather than reposting details, I will say that almost every aspect of this property is very accurately listed in previous reviews... for instance, the property doesn't look like much from the street, but that is a feature, because the inward setting was truly more condo like and private than other Residence properties.
The staff was very "can do" in all respects, and the staffing was very visible- from housekeeping to landscaping to the excellent front desk staff (HI!) that would web research any question asked of them. I even saw security walking the parking lot in the early morning as we left for the game. I didn't feel the area needed security, but it is always welcome early in the morning. The breakfast buffet was well above par and also well staffed.
The location is great so long as you have a car. I could easily do an extended stay for business here if needed. While the place was fully occupied, the layout is really more like my apartment complex from my single days, and you really don't notice those guests outside your inner courtyard. Facililites might have been a little dated, but the important stuff was great- Beds, bedding and very good water pressure. Hot tub was nicely maintained as well as hot.
Also mentioned to 3 different locals where we were staying and each one of them agreed it was a nice place and they either stayed there themselves at some point or put up family members there.
Book here with confidence.

• Liked — Front desk was happy to be of service
  • Disliked — No real restaurant or bar to walk to
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach? Share your experiences!