“If you don't mind a lot of noise...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
San Diego, California
“If you don't mind a lot of noise...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

then you'll be pleased with this hotel. The room was lovely (I chose one with a fireplace), the front desk personnel (at least when I checked in) was friendly, and I was happy with the free Wi-Fi, free parking, and free breakfast. If it weren't for the noise, I'd definitely stay here again.

However.....the noise from the upstairs really carries thru the floor if you're staying on ground level. Especially when you have a loft suite above (which is meant to accommodate 4+ people). Imagine how noisy it is when there are 13 people above you in one room!! That was my experience. They were quite noisy, and I started calling the front desk at ~10pm to ask what could be done. They promised to call them and advise they'd had complaints and request that they quiet down, but also said that if they didn't quiet down, call back and they would evict them, as they had a zero tolerance for parties in rooms.

I waited an hour and a half and called back, but now a different person was on the front desk, and he said let me call them and if they don't quiet down, we'll evict them. I said that's what I was told the first time I called. He didn't seem willing to do more than call again, so I said I hope that fixes the problem.

I was still wide awake at 12:30am from all the noise, so called the front desk, and this time he agreed to evict them. I looked out the window and watched 12 girls come downstairs in short shorts and little else, getting into 2-3 different cars and leaving. Then the one guy came down and left w/some other friends.

After that, it took me awhile to fall asleep, and the next day I kept thinking, if they had evicted them when promised, I would have had at least 7 hrs of sleep. Instead I was dragging all the next day.

When I checked out, I was surprised that the front desk clerk never asked how was my stay, etc. Maybe they have such problems all the time and would rather not hear the customer's response.

If you stay here, request an upstairs room.

Room Tip: Upstairs should be less noisy than ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Residence_Inn_MB_AGM, Front Desk Supervisor at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your review, Becca n-sd. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We are delighted you were pleased with our newly renovated rooms and the warm hospitality of our staff at check-in. We also love that you enjoyed the complimentary services such as wi-fi, parking, and breakfast. Thank you!

Because our goal is not only to meet but exceed our guests expectations, I earnestly apologize for the prompt attention we failed to achieve with regard to the noise you experienced. Because of your feedback, we can implement improvements such as increased communicating between staff and shifts and continued follow up with guests who were not provided with the service they deserve.

We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to your return to our hotel so that we may have another opportunity to provide you with exceptional service.

Front Desk Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had stayed at this location for about 5 weeks before relocating to Florida. The location is what makes this hotel a very good choice. Bike riders (Bicycles) will will have easy access to the bike path which extends all the way to Santa Monica. Plenty of Beach shopping and restaurants. Many restaurants are available from very casual to more formal (expensive). Beaches are a short drive away. Manhattan Beach downtown area is very walkable but a little hilly.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I just wanted to write about the beautiful room and hotel I got this weekend at the Residence Inn Manhattan Beach. It was still pleasant even though there was construction going on.
I went to an aunt’s birthday in Redondo and it was so close to the hotel.
I came in from the party at 11p and was stunned at the size and beauty of the room!
It had 2 beds, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen and living room and dining (ask for it but be ready to pay a bit more but totally worth it!) It is great for friends and family and will easily sleep 6.
Great for small parties or family bonding moments! The loft has an upstairs full bed, closet and bathroom as well, and you can see everyone from above! The ground floor bedroom opens up but has doors for privacy. It was a pity I just crashed for the night and left the following morning.
The room itself is a destination and I wished I brought friends and family to enjoy the loft suite and will definitely come back when can.I loved the home feel of a suite, yet had all the amenities-flat screen TVs, Paul Mitchell toiletries, hi speed internet. I slept very well.
Parking and internet are free, and safe at night when guards patrol the area, which is still a
safe neighborhood.
The hotel is very centrally located-very close to LAX, yet doesn’t feel like an airport hotel and have the peace and quiet of a beachside property. It is a great alternative to the hotels on Century Blvd.
I met a friend for lunch at beautiful Redondo Pier and we were there in a few minutes.
Check out all the fresh seafood cooked to your liking!
It is also very close to all the massive shopping at Manhattan Village Mall and El Segundo. Also next to my favorite stores Target, convenient Walgreen’s and the very delicious Cuban restaurant Versailles!
I will surely recommend this hotel to LAX travelers, as well as families or friends who want a weekend get away!

Room Tip: Ask for the loft suite!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments, Richie Sei! We appreciate your sincere review and are so happy you enjoyed our location and all the great activities and sites our city has to offer. We also pride ourselves in offering a home away from home so it's thrilling to find that our guests, such as yourself, enjoyed the experience. We look forward to your return with friends and family so that they may enjoy the loft suite as well.

Minnetonka, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Quiet neighborhood
10 minutes south of LAX on Sepulveda Boulevard Stay off the freeway!!!!
Close to Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach
Bikes to ride from the hotel to the beaches
Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby
Sports bar (Grunions) across the street. Mike is the friendly proprieter there!
Props to the Residence Inn staff: Ron and his karaoke most weeks, Myra, Mary, Jennifer, and Patty
Thanks for making me feel like family! I will always stay here when I come out for business in nearby Torrance or anywhere in the LA area! Great place to embark from on a California vacation too!

Room Tip: All of them are great, even next to the boulevard. Quiet cozy rooms!!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your phenomenal comments, Mark S! Being minutes from the beach and nearby activities, such as Grunions, is certainly a plus. We all agree, Ron is certainly an asset to our team as is Myra, Mary, Jennifer and Patty. We are so happy you were able to experience our outstanding staff. It was our pleasure to meet your standard of accomodations so please visit us again soon!

Yours in Hospitality
Solana Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Overall a great price. I felt it was a little pricy, but still a great stay at comparable rates for other hotels. They were currently under construction for their new building. Free breakfast, free parking and free wifi is always a plus. The wifi didn't work that great though.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you, Tyler D, we appreciate your business and nice comments! We are happy to see that you felt the pricing was worth it. Our complimentary services and our newly renovated rooms are certainly a plus. Af the beginning of the Front Office renovation late September, we did have a few network interruptions because the servers were being relocated. We suspect this was what may have affected your wifi speed during your stay. For this, we sincerely apologize.

We look forward to the completion of our front office and breakfast area renovation in April. We hope to see you again by that time or even before!

South Haven, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have stayed at Residence Inns' in other states and have been very impressed. This experience was quite a disappointment. Here is a summary of our experience.

The good:
Location is close to Target, plenty of restaurants and not far from Manhattan Beach
The staff was very friendly!!
The room was clean (except the smell) with modern decor
Full kitchen, well stocked
EXCELLENT BREAKFAST

The disappointments:
The pool was completely torn up the entire time we were there
Although the room was clean it smelled like animals (we even moved to another room which smelled equally as bad)
The closet in the downstairs bedroom stunk of animal so bad we lived out of our suitcases the entire time we were there
The BBQ grill was dirty, nasty dirty
As other reviews stated, the soundproofing is poor so if you are a light sleeper take warning
The "courtyard" of our building (11) was not inviting at all. We anticipated being able to sit out there, BBQ and enjoy the California weather
The upstairs bathroom vent did not work
3 out of the 4 room keys we got did not work
That evening when we went to chill and watch TV we could not get a clear picture on the TV in the livingroom. We checked the connections, didn't help. (We did not even bother to report it as by this time we were pretty much over it all. We normally don't do that but we were so disappointed by the room change, keys not working and the smells we were just done)

Although it's always a disappointment when your hotel doesn't live up to your expectations, it was even more so as we had anticipated spending time at the pool, BBQ'ing, etc. The pictures on the hotel website are a far cry from property we experienced. We do a fair amount of traveling (especially my husband) and sometimes the pictures are a bit skewed but these were pretty far off.

Total bummer!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Residence_Inn_MB_AGM, Front Office Supervisor at Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We appreciate your honest evaluation, 1tranquilgirl. While we are thrilled you enjoyed the location, staff, clean room and breakfast, we sincerely apologize, on behalf of our entire team, for not exceeding your expectations. Please know that your satisfaction is important to us and I will be using your feedback to review the events of your stay with all of our associates so as to implement improvements for a better guest experience in the future.

St. Louis MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The property is a typical updated Residence Inn. The rooms have clearly been updated with modern furnishings and decor.

However it is clear that corners were cut when the property was originally built in the soundproofing areas. You could hear everything going on outside and in neighboring units: bathroom fans, dishwashers, people walking, television/music, flushing toilets, doors closing etc. I've stayed in other Residence Inn properties and this seems to be among the worst I've experienced with this issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the property.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach? Share your experiences!