“Not Exactly a Beach Property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park and Surf
Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Manhattan Beach
Orange, California
“Not Exactly a Beach Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Manhattan Beach Marriott is sort of a misnomer, as it is not really close to the beach. In fact, it is likely on the outer most-skirts of Manhattan Beach, closer to Lawndale than the beach. Located in a somewhat industrial type setting, it is fairly close to Fry’s Electronics, and an entertainment complex of sorts is within walking distance which includes a McCormick & Schmicks and Arclight Theater.

Despite it’s semi-industrial and corporate location parking is a shocking $18 night.

Upon entering the hotel from the self-parking garage, after passing a number of ballrooms the front desk is located to the right. Check-in was efficient. All Marriott Platinum amenities were clearly explained, including the fact that the Concierge Lounge was actually open for breakfast on the weekends. I inquired about the weekend hours, but apparently the lounge is only open for breakfast. As the lounge was closed when I checked-in, I was given several bottles of water.

I was given a room on the Concierge Lounge level with a room overlooking the hotel’s Executive Par 3 Golf Course. A somewhat pleasant surprise for a hotel in this area to have its own golf course, even if it is a pitch and putt course.

Upon entering the room, the bathroom is on the right. There is a single sink with ample counter space. There are Bath & Body Works toiletries, which are slightly better than hotel branded products.

There is a shower/tub combo with good water pressure and temperature.

The bedroom is fairly spacious with plenty of space to maneuver around the two beds in the room. Unfortunately, outlets are not conveniently located next to either bed. The beds are somewhat firm and slightly uncomfortable for my taste.

There is a wooden dresser with a flat screen TV on it. Although channels are somewhat limited, there are enough options to pass the time.

The desk is on the smaller size, and has the “under desk” that seems to be a fixture in many of Marriott’s properties. Although it does “expand” the size and work area of the desk, this does not seem very convenient for me when I am working. Although I do like a lot of desk space, the configuration of this set up does not work for me.

The coffee maker was placed on the desk, which made the working space even tighter.

There is a small sitting area in the corner, which probably does not get much use except for people using it to hang their clothes or place their suitcase on the chair.

Although Marriott now has a policy of having the Concierge Lounge open in many of their properties on the weekend for breakfast, I did not have a chance to visit the lounge on this visit.

If given the option, I would almost always choose to have breakfast in the restaurant rather than a lounge.

The Manhattan Beach Marriott is a clean, comfortable hotel located fairly close to the airport. I had a pleasant stay here, but wish the parking fee was a little lower.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Cocoa Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Other reviews were spot on with issues with this hotel. The parking is expensive. The rooms are nice with HD Tv's but you get a low res image on all channels. The concierge room is nice, funky coffe maker. just got old hearing the lady tell everyone, many times that she has worked there for 17 years.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

One's options in LA are always limited by where you want to spend your time (and how much of it is in the car). The Manhattan Beach Marriott is surprisingly well located vis-a-vis LAX Santa Monica and has quick access to the highways.

The hotel itself itself is very uninspiring. The rooms adequate the staff pleasant but clearly the clientele is mainly business types, and (while I was there at least) clearly used as a small meeting venue.

The small bar/restaurant was a nice option at the end of the day but rather expensive and mediocre food for the value (but no surprise there).

Room Tip: All are more or less the same.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Self-park: $21 (it's not like the hotel is located in downtown LA)
Booked a room for 4 people, got 2 beds smaller than queen size ($149/room)
Internet: $13/day
Bottle of water in the room: $3.5
+ non-friendly lady at the front desk
+ spider in the bathroom

They are trying too hard to be a 'luxury' hotel. It's just too pretentious for what it really is.

Room Tip: Ask for Golf course view. Despite the fact the hotel is huge, you don't get the view on the Golf...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is very beautiful. Staff is very friendly and wonderful. Our check in was fast and efficient. Valets welcomed us with a smile on there face. Its nice to get greeted from the entrance cuase then you feel like home and the front desk made sure that we had the best stay ever. The only problem we encountered was that it took forever for the bellmens to bring our luggage to the room we waited like half an hour. Other than that the hotel has a great staff.

• Stayed October 2013
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I regret that you had to wait longer for your bags than you had anticipated, I'll be sure to let the team know so they can avoid this in the future. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience, I hope you'll visit us again.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Let me say that I almost always stay at this Marriott when in the area and am a Marriott Rewards Gold member, so I travel quite a bit and feel more than qualified to raise these issues. The convenient location and the golf course are great perks to this hotel. However, recently I've noticed niggling little things at this hotel that are inexcusable for the price you pay.

Examples are having only one elevator working at a time (this seems to be a chronic condition), leaking shower doors - I just about flooded my bathroom last week, nice high-definition TVs in the rooms but no HD service and no power outlets for recharging phones by the bed. I checked in last week in time to watch the first game of the world series and lo and behold, there is no Fox channel available on the TV? A truly annoying issue is that you cannot check out via the TV (the on-screen check-out function just does not work) and are forced to do so at the front desk. However, in the morning, there is only one person on duty at the front desk, so checking out quickly is close to impossible. Finally, $21 per day for self parking??? Give me a break.

Like I said, I love the location and the general quality of the hotel is quite good, but the value proposition is not there. Please fix the issues I've mentioned and don't allow these types of things to persisit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeff H, Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
I really appreciate your feedback, thank you for staying with us. I'm sending you a private message as well.
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here while on vacation. It was not that far from the LAX Airport, maybe 20 minutes. My room was very clean and I had a comfortable sleep every and every night. The golf course was beautiful and fun to play. The 5 minute drive to the beach was awesome. I relaxed in the pool and hot tub, and found time to work out in a spacious exercise room. I had room service on many occasions. The food at the restaurant downstairs (same as the room service) was by far some of the best food I have had at a hotel. My complements to the chef on preparing a fantastic menu that delighted me each time I tried something new. The price of the food was acceptable to me; I felt that my money was well spent. It was not dirt cheap, but if you want cheap food then go to any fast food establishment. You want quality food without stepping outside the hotel grounds? Then call room service or take a seat at the indoor or outdoor seating areas. You will not be disappointed. Every employee I came in contact with at the Marriott treated me with the upmost respect and dignity that a guest deserves. If I had to bring a down side to this review, I would comment on two things. I would like to see free WI-FI on the entire grounds of the hotel (except the golf course). I have been to many other hotels in my travels, and have not had to pay for WI-FI on the hotel grounds. And I don't believe it is fair to make guests of the hotel pay to park their vehicle on the hotel's property. If those two things don't bother you, next time you need to stay at the Manhattan Beach Marriott.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I enjoyed reading your review, thank you for staying at the Manhattan Beach Marriott and for sharing your experience. I'll be sure to tell our chef how much you enjoyed the food. We've recently introduced new menu options. Thanks for your honest feedback about the wifi and parking. I hope that you'll stay with us again.

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!