“Not Memorable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not Memorable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a one night business stopover in this area. The Hotel has seen better days, it was servicable for what it was. A 3+ star at best struggling to retain it former days of grandeur. I image it was a fantastic place place 20yrs ago. Lobby area nice, rooms dated and ordinary, Fine as a corporate stopover.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I hope you will return for another layover with us in the future. Safe travels. - Jeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Although we had Marriott platinum elite, we received no room upgrade and no refrigerator in room (and a lack of willingness from the front desk to help us find a way to refrigerate our food overnight). Also- the walls are not sound-proof so could hear the couple next door unfortunately. We were deciding between Manhattan Beach Marriott and Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel and wished we had stayed at the Renaissance.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns. I apologize that we were not able to deliver the upgrades and amenities which you deserve. I will be sending you a private message so we can discuss this matter further.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I really like this Marriott. When I lived in Hermosa Beach my friends and I used to come to the lobby bar after work for drinks and the service was always wonderful. Returning as a guest now that I no longer live in the area, I still love the hotel for it's convenient location (close to tons of restaurants, shopping, and a short trip to beach), nice rooms (loved our golf course view) and again, the service. All the staff members that we interacted with were exceptional! My mom & I stayed here just one night in June and the front desk, bartender at the lobby bar and the valet were all wonderful, friendly, and accommodating. Cory at valet (although he said his title was "customer service..." something) was especially helpful, assisting us in jumping our rental car when the battery died-- thank you!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for coming back to visit us again. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will pass your compliments on to Cory. All of us at Marriott are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.
Clayton, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

As a professional pilot I spend a great deal of time on the road. This is convenient location to LAX however they choose not to run an airport shuttle, a taxi costs about $20. There are plenty of good restaurants all within three blocks and are more suitable to walk than ride in a car. The beach is about 1-2 miles away good to walk or run to. Caught the city bus in front of the hotel for $1. Stayed too late at a speak easy at Hermosa Beach and caught a taxi back for $10. They have a par 3 golf course on the property. Played it three times. This is a good hotel!

Room Tip: Overlook the golf course on the back side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Many of our guests do not realize how close we are to LAX, so I'm very happy to hear that you chose to stay with us. We're proud to serve as a convenient airport hotel while also maintaining a beautiful golf course for our guests, and I'm delighted to hear that you made the most of it! I hope you will stay with us again for another relaxing layover in Los Angeles.
Danville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have some positives for this hotel; the rooms are comfortable and clean, the breakfast in the dining room is quite good, and the staff is friendly and willing to help. The frustration for us was being assigned a room that was actually a utility closest for housekeeping--no really--the front desk wasn't aware that the room was not for guests. Once we were assigned a real guest room (you know--with a bed, not a bucket and a mop...),we found that the remote was out of batteries, one of the lamps was flickering on and off, etc., Everything was fixed, but I prefer to have things working upon arrival...though I guess I should be happy we got an actual bedroom... Anyway, because of this room debacle, they authorized us for the free Club Breakfast on the 7th floor, but when we got there, the room didn't have many tables to start with, and it was very crowded, so there was no place to sit. Since this "upgrade" was not meant to accommodate many people, we ended up down in the hotel restaurant, which had a delicious breakfast but definitely was not free. So, if all of the above appeals to you then, Badda-Bing!, you have found your hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an actual bedroom, and stay away from rooms near the ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It’s unfortunate that this happened to you and I understand why you would feel so frustrated. I am glad to hear that our wonderful staff was able to work with you to attempt to resolve these issues, however, I am sending you a private message in order to follow up.
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

As for the hotel itself, the accomodations were nice, bed was a bit too soft for my liking. Shower pressure was egh but bathroom was clean. My biggest complaint though was that our room had an adjoining door to the next room and the people there, although not loud, I could hear every bit of their conversation - they may as well been in my room chatting with me directly.

Also, I asked for a price match for the room rate as my friend had booked for the same night and it was $30 cheaper; the didn't honor it. The next morning at breakfast downstairs, the first THREE servers were of no help but fortunately, we finally had someone to was extremely nice. Was not impressed with the level of service otherwise, food was ok.

This is not the place to stay if you're planning a trip to the beach; you'll either need to cab it or find public parking at the beach. There are a few restaurants/stores within walking distance but I would not say it is a "tourist" area of town when you think of Manhattan Beach. I live in Southern California and was in town for the 4th of July holiday and just needed somewhere to stay for the night. I would not recommend this facility to someone who was actually planning a vacation to Manhattan Beach - I would recommend something closer to the beach or a weekly rental.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have an adjoining room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
While I understand there were things not to your liking during your stay, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. During your next visit with us, please alert us right away about any issues so that we can have the opportunity to make it right. As far as our location, being that we’re only 3 miles to the beach, 2 miles to the airport, and one mile to the freeway, our guests are generally thrilled when they realize how conveniently located we are to LA area attractions.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel offers a great location, services, and amenities. Very nice, clean, friendly. If access to VIP you will enjoy water, soda and specialty coffee at almost anytime. Breakfast is very complete. Beds and pillows are great! Room service with a smile, delicious food and chocolate cookies!
Great location, close to the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
From our gorgeous golf course to our convenient access to the beach we're very proud of our amenities and location. It's great to hear that you could appreciate these perks, and I'm glad that you had a wonderful stay with us!

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!