“Average Marriott” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Weybridge, UK
“Average Marriott”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Not a beach location but it takes a 7 minute drive to get to it. This hotel has an airport hotel feel ( my eyes hurt when I saw a whole bunch of that bright KLM blue crew waiting for their transport ).

The lobby is like a cavernous mausoleum, totally unwelcoming. When I checked in I asked the receptionist to have the LA Times delivered every morning but she said they do not do that although they deliver USA Today every day to all the rooms. It seemed like a limited service Marriott to me ( they also exist apparently ).

Room 648 had a view to the golf course but only later when I went to bed I heard the constant din of the lift engine room. A bit odd really as I was not on the top floor ( hotel has 7 floors ). happily I always sleep in all conditions but still I suspect it is not a good idea to have a room near the 648 number.

Breakfast service was somewhat disorganised. I also suspected the egg cook rather wanted to be somewhere else. Why they laid out huge ( well I know everything is big in the US ) white bread slices but provided an European ( small ) size toaster meant that a big part of the bread was sticking out. When I asked if some one in the kitchen could toast it for me this was done grudgingly.

Rooms are ok but need to be updated ( a typical Marriott problem ), beds are comfy as they have the newish Revive beds.

Parking is currently $ 15 a day excluding 8.25 % tax. No possibility to park on nearby street as not allowed between 2 am and 4 am.

Location worked for me as MB is a nice community with some nice bars and restaurants and near 405 freeway.

Another so so LA hotel in the price class I can afford but I will not give up my search.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Albuquerque, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

I booked 2 rooms for Thursday - Sunday and had a wonderful time. I'm a platinum Marriott guest, and got the concierge-level upgrade for both rooms. The concierge service on Friday moring was among the best I've seen, eggs, bacon, fruit & yogurt parfaits, the works, and we continued to have access to the room for drinks over the weekend. We received some partial breakfast vouchers for an ever more-elaborate buffet at the hotel restaurant for Sat/Sun morning. The gym was very nice, with swiss balls and nice cardio, dumbells to 50lbs, saunas, heated lap pool, hot tub, all overlooking the little par-3 (I think, didn't play it) golf course. Lots of new shopping areas nearby, and be sure to check out the restaurants down at Manhattan beach. Rock-n-Fish was great! The bed/pillows/sheets were a solid 9, room condition 7.5, staff friendly and helpful. I would stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Manhattan Beach from Oct 31st through Nov. 4th. Hotel staff was very helpfull and friendly. Hotel was nice clean rooms, the lobby was under construction but it didn't affect the stay at all. The rooms are a little small but very clean although they could use some updating. Convienient location to everything including the beach and shopping. Would stay again for the right price.

• Liked — Friendy staff
  • Disliked — No wireless internet in room.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palm Desert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

My DH and I wanted to get out of town and go to the coast for the weekend. I couldn't get anything decent through Priceline so ended up on the Marriott website looking for specials. Found a king room with a view of the golf course, breakfast for two and a round of golf on their 9 hole course all for a great price. Requested in my Marriott Rewards membership for a high room and an early check in at 2:00. We arrived at a quarter to three and were told that the room would not be ready for another hour. Went, came back and the room was still not ready. Regular check in is 4:00 p.m. Did not get our room until 4:15 p.m. We were told we could take a non-view room right away--but we wanted a view of the golf course not the road. Unfortunately, it took a big chunck our of our day sitting around at the hotel waiting to check in. Plus, we were meeting friends for dinner and wanted to relax a bit before cleaning up and heading out again. Anyway, once we got in the room was nice--and so was the view. We were put on the 6th floor. The room itself is nice enough--nothing too special but nice and clean. What was really nice was the bed! Very comfortable. And besides the view, another great thing was how quiet it was. We both slept like babies and didn't wake up until 8:00 the next morning. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was great--anything on the menu was included. And as it turned out the 9 hole golf course was just a fun and enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Over all it was a good stay--just don't plan on getting into your room any earlier than 4:00 and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — The view, the bed and the quiet room
  • Disliked — waiting to check in
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

The hotel is in a great location. The shopping mall is within walking distance from the hotel. The restaurant choices are varied in the downtown area. Great beach community.

The room was large and very comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2007
Petaluma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

A great hotel with a good location. Located right off of I-405 and Rosecrans Avenue (a major thoroughfare). Also located near a McCormick and Schmick's restaurant and a lot of shopping (Manhattan Village, etc). However, this is not a beach hotel despite its name. It is more of a convention/airport hotel located near LAX that happens to be in Manhattan Beach. However, it is not far from the Pacific Coast Highway and Manhattan Beach. If you have time for leisure, there is both a huge pool and a large golf course on site. Overall, a great stay for the price.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glendale, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

A group of friends and I stayed at the hotel while on vacation. Naturally on the drive there Mapquest made sure we got lost. I ended up calling the hotel and someone that barely spoke english answered the phone. I explained where I was and asked for directions and she just said "hold" and then connected me to someone else. He also barely spoke english but I once again explained the situation. He simply said he didn't know where I was and he asked if I could call back in 5 minutes. I thought that was a pretty ridiculous thing to ask so I said no and asked him to find someone that could help me. After a few minutes he finally connected me to someone else (this one spoke english! woohoo!), and she was kind of able to help me (but not completely, we had to stop for directions again later).

When we finally got there it took about 15 minutes to check in even though there was only one person in front of us in line. The front desk clerk then old use that our request of a room with 2 double beds could not be fulfilled but he could give us a room with 1 king bed and a rollaway bed. I told him that was fine as long as we could fit 4 people in the room. He said we could and then gave us our keys. We went to the room and after about an hour we called the front desk to make sure they were going to send us a rollaway. A few hours after that we finally got it. It was the smallest bed I've ever seen and it could barely sleep one person comfortably. We asked for 2 rollaways but he said they couldn't give us another. So that night 3 of us had to sleep on the king bed.

In the morning we called and asked for more towels and it took about an hour to get them. All around the service was friendly, but extremely slow. The location of the hotel is great, but I will never recommend it to anyone. It was not a good experience.

• Liked — Great location!
  • Disliked — Unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!