“Good hotel for the right price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
CT
“Good hotel for the right price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Manhattan Beach from Oct 31st through Nov. 4th. Hotel staff was very helpfull and friendly. Hotel was nice clean rooms, the lobby was under construction but it didn't affect the stay at all. The rooms are a little small but very clean although they could use some updating. Convienient location to everything including the beach and shopping. Would stay again for the right price.

• Liked — Friendy staff
  • Disliked — No wireless internet in room.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Palm Desert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

My DH and I wanted to get out of town and go to the coast for the weekend. I couldn't get anything decent through Priceline so ended up on the Marriott website looking for specials. Found a king room with a view of the golf course, breakfast for two and a round of golf on their 9 hole course all for a great price. Requested in my Marriott Rewards membership for a high room and an early check in at 2:00. We arrived at a quarter to three and were told that the room would not be ready for another hour. Went, came back and the room was still not ready. Regular check in is 4:00 p.m. Did not get our room until 4:15 p.m. We were told we could take a non-view room right away--but we wanted a view of the golf course not the road. Unfortunately, it took a big chunck our of our day sitting around at the hotel waiting to check in. Plus, we were meeting friends for dinner and wanted to relax a bit before cleaning up and heading out again. Anyway, once we got in the room was nice--and so was the view. We were put on the 6th floor. The room itself is nice enough--nothing too special but nice and clean. What was really nice was the bed! Very comfortable. And besides the view, another great thing was how quiet it was. We both slept like babies and didn't wake up until 8:00 the next morning. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was great--anything on the menu was included. And as it turned out the 9 hole golf course was just a fun and enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Over all it was a good stay--just don't plan on getting into your room any earlier than 4:00 and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — The view, the bed and the quiet room
  • Disliked — waiting to check in
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

The hotel is in a great location. The shopping mall is within walking distance from the hotel. The restaurant choices are varied in the downtown area. Great beach community.

The room was large and very comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2007
Petaluma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

A great hotel with a good location. Located right off of I-405 and Rosecrans Avenue (a major thoroughfare). Also located near a McCormick and Schmick's restaurant and a lot of shopping (Manhattan Village, etc). However, this is not a beach hotel despite its name. It is more of a convention/airport hotel located near LAX that happens to be in Manhattan Beach. However, it is not far from the Pacific Coast Highway and Manhattan Beach. If you have time for leisure, there is both a huge pool and a large golf course on site. Overall, a great stay for the price.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glendale, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

A group of friends and I stayed at the hotel while on vacation. Naturally on the drive there Mapquest made sure we got lost. I ended up calling the hotel and someone that barely spoke english answered the phone. I explained where I was and asked for directions and she just said "hold" and then connected me to someone else. He also barely spoke english but I once again explained the situation. He simply said he didn't know where I was and he asked if I could call back in 5 minutes. I thought that was a pretty ridiculous thing to ask so I said no and asked him to find someone that could help me. After a few minutes he finally connected me to someone else (this one spoke english! woohoo!), and she was kind of able to help me (but not completely, we had to stop for directions again later).

When we finally got there it took about 15 minutes to check in even though there was only one person in front of us in line. The front desk clerk then old use that our request of a room with 2 double beds could not be fulfilled but he could give us a room with 1 king bed and a rollaway bed. I told him that was fine as long as we could fit 4 people in the room. He said we could and then gave us our keys. We went to the room and after about an hour we called the front desk to make sure they were going to send us a rollaway. A few hours after that we finally got it. It was the smallest bed I've ever seen and it could barely sleep one person comfortably. We asked for 2 rollaways but he said they couldn't give us another. So that night 3 of us had to sleep on the king bed.

In the morning we called and asked for more towels and it took about an hour to get them. All around the service was friendly, but extremely slow. The location of the hotel is great, but I will never recommend it to anyone. It was not a good experience.

• Liked — Great location!
  • Disliked — Unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

The Manhattan Beach Marriott is a strange hotel in that it does some things really well...and other things are sub-standard.

First of all, the setting is lovely. Although tourists always seem to know that high-rent LA neighborhoods include Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood, etc., the truth is that Manhattan Beach has quickly risen to the same level in terms of property values...and beauty. So the hotel is popular by virtue of its location.

The lobby is also beautiful: High ceilings and large glass windows that look onto an executive golf course that Marriott owns and operates. It's a great first impression.

When you hit the front desk, however, the charm starts to wear off. At both check-in and check-out, we found the staff to be uptight and unhelpful. (I have experienced this same behavior at the Sacramento Marriott . Could this be part of Marriott's training?) For example, although our Marriott profile specifically requests a king bed, the Manhattan Beach front desk staffer told us that our profile showed no such preference and therefore all kings had been given to other guests. (That information was inaccurate; I verified online within the hour that our Marriott profile does list "king" as our preference -- and, by the way, I alerted the front desk person of her mistake.)

I asked the front desk if any floors were "updated" more than others, and I was told that all rooms are virtually the same.

What you will find: While the rooms are a bit larger than standard hotel rooms, you will also find "cottage cheese" on the ceiling; old, dark doors; and dark hallways. You can tell that the hotel was built circa 1980...and it has not been updated structurally. Marriott has, however, installed new carpeting with bright colors in an effort to freshen up the guest floors.

Bathrooms have new countertops and new shower heads, but the toilets are from the original construction -- a rather odd contrast for people who travel often.

My wife and I heard very little noise, and we slept well both nights in the now-standard Marriott beds that are fabulous.

At breakfast (and lunch and dinner -- we ate all of our meals for two days in the only hotel restaurant), we found the service to be among the worst we have encountered in any hotel. The good news is that, if you have plenty of time to endure the painfully slow service, the food is very good. We enjoyed every meal from a "food" point of view...but the service was extremely poor.

On day #2, we asked the front desk if we could be moved to a room with a king bed. We were told that none were available. I have no way of knowing whether the information was accurate, but I do know that the front desk person was unapologetic. When I pressed to see if I could be put on a waiting list, she agreed to do so (no one ever called me), adding that they had been busy ever since the WNBA had chosen them as their LA "home base" whenever teams were visiting LA. While I am glad for the hotel's new corporate client, the explanation did little to change the fact that my wife and I were sharing separate beds since their double beds were so small.

There is no spa facility at this hotel.

The drive to the beach is about 10 minutes - a straight shot down Rosecrans (the hotel sits one block off of Rosecrans, which is a main street that runs from the freeway to the ocean.) It would be a long walk from the hotel to the beach...but there are cabs available, should you choose to not rent a car. (Please note: We heard European tourists in the elevator lamenting that they had not rented a car. It is difficult to enjoy LA without a car.)

During one of our meals, I sought out the restaurant manager and shared my concerns regarding the service. He explained that he was brand-new to the hotel and that he was still surveying the situation. He was an extremely friendly fellow (Darren was his name), but I did not get the sense that he was terribly concerned about the service issues that I was raising.

At check-out, I voiced my conerns about the restaurant to the front desk staffer. He looked at me rather blankly like, "What do you want me to say?" His reaction was off-putting.

So thus was our visit to the Manhattan Beach Marriott: Nice location; old rooms; good food; and terrible service.

If you want to stay somewhat close to the sand in Manhattan Beach, this is your place. But if your visit to LA is centered on other parts of the city (study your map carefully), I think that I might skip this hotel. My wife and I do not plan to return.

• Liked — The bed; the food
  • Disliked — Front desk staff; old room; service in the restaurant
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

Went on a road trip up the coast of California ending our adventure in Manhattan Beach Marriott. It was a great finale for our trip. It was only 10 minutes from the Los Angeles Airport, but you did not hear or see airplanes.

After being at several hotels on our stay from Holiday Inn to Best Western's, to Ramada Inn as well as a "boutique" motel in Santa Barbara, the Marriott was by far the best for value, cleanliness, amenities etc. My rate was around the same as the other hotel's in some cases a bit more, but what made it really worth it was that it was the only hotel that served a full breakfast, hot/cold, and it was included in the price. I would advise to ask for specials etc. make sure you ask for the breakfast to be included.

I would recommend it 100%

• Liked — Having a hot/full breakfast included in my rate.
  • Disliked — Could not get an extra roll-a-way bed in our room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!