For the past few years I have always checked what other travelers had to say on Trip Advisor and have found it very helpful. This is the first time that I have felt the need to write a review of my own.
My husband and I live in the area, but needed to be out of our condo for at least two nights due to tenting for termites in the building. After reading all the reviews and noting all the comments, I checked different web sights to try to get the best deal. I decided to go with Hotwire because I could get a 4 star property at a Botique hotel for a good price. I assumed it would be the Belamar since I am familiar with the area, and I was pleased that it was. I did wonder about the smell in the halls that others had commented on, but thought it can't be that bad. I'm sorry to say that I was wrong.
Check in was easy, and we were given a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony. After getting off the elevator there was a very strong strange odor, and we were hoping that it would not be noticeable in the room. Unfortunately it was, and we had to have the patio door and window open to get any sleep. I don't like to complain, and I thought maybe I would get use it it. By the next afternoon I really couldn't take it so I decided to go to the front desk and tell them about it. When I left my room there were several men working on a bath room 4 or 5 rooms down from ours and it made me wonder what was going on. When I told the girl at the front desk that the odor was very bad she said, " I will have someone check it out for you." I left for several hours to get some fresh air and enjoy the shops in Manhattan Beach which are lovely. When I returned she was not at the desk so I went to my room to see if there was a message, and there was none. I waited for a while, but the smell was making me ill so I went back to the front desk. The guy who was working was very apologetic, and told me that they have been trying for a long time to figure out the exact cause. They have torn out something like 20 rooms and brought in an engineer but so far the only explanation is a plumbing problem. He admitted that it is worse on the 3rd floor and would be happy to move us to the 1st floor. Which we happily accepted, although the view was not great we could breathe without worrying about our health. When we checked out the next day they were still checking people into the 3rd floor, and I made the comment that I didn't think that was wise. They didn't say anything and just shrugged their shoulders.
I really do hope they get the problem solved because it really is a lovely hotel and the area is great! Lots of shopping and restaurants close by, and of course the beautiful Pacific Ocean. Also the free valet parking is a great service with very nice and efficient attendants.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located near Manhattan Village shopping and the best beaches in L.A., The Belamar is an ideal destination for fashionable getaways. Our lively, avant-garde destination melds retro style with modern comforts and our assortment of Manhattan Beach hotel deals offers the best value on accommodations, whether you are here to work or play. From seasonal getaways to romantic escapes to family adventures, there’s always a way to stay and save at The Belamar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Belamar Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Larkspur Collection Manhattan Beach
- Manhattan Beach Larkspur Collection