“3rd floor smell, what is it?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Belamar Hotel

You added The Belamar Hotel to your Saves list
The Belamar Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 North Sepulveda Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 (Formerly The Belamar Hotel, A Larkspur Collection Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Redondo Beach, California
“3rd floor smell, what is it?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

For the past few years I have always checked what other travelers had to say on Trip Advisor and have found it very helpful. This is the first time that I have felt the need to write a review of my own.

My husband and I live in the area, but needed to be out of our condo for at least two nights due to tenting for termites in the building. After reading all the reviews and noting all the comments, I checked different web sights to try to get the best deal. I decided to go with Hotwire because I could get a 4 star property at a Botique hotel for a good price. I assumed it would be the Belamar since I am familiar with the area, and I was pleased that it was. I did wonder about the smell in the halls that others had commented on, but thought it can't be that bad. I'm sorry to say that I was wrong.

Check in was easy, and we were given a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony. After getting off the elevator there was a very strong strange odor, and we were hoping that it would not be noticeable in the room. Unfortunately it was, and we had to have the patio door and window open to get any sleep. I don't like to complain, and I thought maybe I would get use it it. By the next afternoon I really couldn't take it so I decided to go to the front desk and tell them about it. When I left my room there were several men working on a bath room 4 or 5 rooms down from ours and it made me wonder what was going on. When I told the girl at the front desk that the odor was very bad she said, " I will have someone check it out for you." I left for several hours to get some fresh air and enjoy the shops in Manhattan Beach which are lovely. When I returned she was not at the desk so I went to my room to see if there was a message, and there was none. I waited for a while, but the smell was making me ill so I went back to the front desk. The guy who was working was very apologetic, and told me that they have been trying for a long time to figure out the exact cause. They have torn out something like 20 rooms and brought in an engineer but so far the only explanation is a plumbing problem. He admitted that it is worse on the 3rd floor and would be happy to move us to the 1st floor. Which we happily accepted, although the view was not great we could breathe without worrying about our health. When we checked out the next day they were still checking people into the 3rd floor, and I made the comment that I didn't think that was wise. They didn't say anything and just shrugged their shoulders.

I really do hope they get the problem solved because it really is a lovely hotel and the area is great! Lots of shopping and restaurants close by, and of course the beautiful Pacific Ocean. Also the free valet parking is a great service with very nice and efficient attendants.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

In my situation, I did not actually stay at the hotel, but had quite a complicated experience with a reservation. I booked a night at The Belamar when doing a stopover at LAX. However, things changed rather quickly due to a family emergency and I canceled my reservation with 2 weeks anticipation.

When I finally got home I found that my credit card had been charged regardless. After many calls I found out that apparently I had made a reservation online with a type of discounted rate that is not refundable. I pleaded with reservations and made several overseas calls to no avail. LUCKILY the hotel's assistant general manager, found out about my situation, understood that it had been booked by mistake and quickly resolved the issue.

It is not at many hotels that management takes a business decision so quickly for the customer's benefit. I would certainly stay at this hotel, knowing that with such excellent attention, any issues I would have can be quickly resolved.

Stayed December 2008
Southern California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

Our family of four (children ages 19 & 12) just returned from a perfect weekend in Manhattan Beach spent at the Belamar Hotel. This hotel was booked for us by a third party and was a gem! Neatly tucked into a residential neighborhood, one would never guess it was located across the street from a mall with movie theaters and near a major intersection making for easy access. Starting with the cheerful valet service (complimentary parking), the warm welcome from the front staff and the lovely and intimate ambience of the lobby, our family felt right at home the moment we arrived. There was a slight unrecognizable odor in the third-floor hallway which lingered during our stay but it was not terrible and was not present in the room. The tasteful decor of the room was extremely pleasing and we had no complaints about the size or layout. There was a refrigerator, robe(s), iPod speaker, free wireless internet (both in the room and in the business center), and other features you would expect such as good climate control, coffee-maker, room service and wide movie selections. As mentioned in other reviews, the bed and bedding were excellent. We asked for two doubles which meant we only had a choice of the "traditional" rooms. The "deluxe" rooms, which we understood were not all that different but were facing the courtyard, only have one king bed. We had no trouble with our traditional room that faced a quiet side street (and not Sepulveda Blvd). I want to mention again the services available in the business center "corner". There were at least three computers and a printer plus a timetable of the airlines at LAX, all free and available 24/7. My first order of the day was Happy Hour at the hotel bar/restaurant Second Story. With drinks and appetizers at half price (except for wine), my daughter and I shared a hummus appetizer with pita bread and small vegetables that was more than generous and delicious - a great bargain. Later we explored the outdoor heated pool and whirlpool and though we did not go in (the day was in the 40's), it was very appealingly laid with tile reminiscent of a Roman pool. The Second Story restaurant experience was so positive that we returned again for dinner and for two breakfasts. (With the cool mornings and unheated cups, our coffee would cool down quickly but when requested, the servers immediately replaced it with fresh cups of coffee.) At dinner we had two appetizers of fondue and coconut chicken (still at half price with happy hour going until 7pm), halibut, macaroni with four cheeses, blackened chicken salad, fish and chips (made from thick halibut), a to-die-for apple lace pie, coffee, and two glasses of Chardonnay for $110 including tip and tax - it was not only delicious but a bargain, worth every cent. A fun touch was that your bill came to you presented in a hardbound book. A novel idea (no pun intended). I ended up borrowing one of them to read during my stay,,, The best part of the weekend was yet to come - the walk to the beach and the sunset. Right outside of the Belamar, there is access to an easy walking trail of woodchips that takes you to the beach in about 25 minutes. Our family commented several times on the politeness of the drivers towards pedestrians, and - don't laugh - the laid-back dogs which my husband described as all "beach dogs". We saw many dogs being walked that weekend and never heard a single bark. On our second night we witnessed one of the most beautiful sunsets of our lives and enjoyed several hours walking on the sandy beach and the pier. With shops and restaurants nearby, Manhattan Beach is a perfect get-away. I would absolutely recommend the Belamar Hotel to anyone who wanted to add that extra something special.

P.S. Did I mention the warm homemade cookies in the afternoon?

• Liked — cleanliness, decor, service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

Booked hotel through third-party website. Very pleased with value received and facilities provided. The free valet service saves $19 a day that are charged at other area hotels. Check in was quick and efficient as was baggage handling to room. Free wireless was available( not used) and free internet / printer use (first floor) to print out boarding passes was very useful; I appreciated the convience and not being nickel and dimed.

Rooms were good, facilities were generally in very good condition and in working order. Some background traffic noise was evident with closed windows. Room service was quick, although menu selection is a little basic and portions adequate.Food quality was good

I was pleased with the value I received and would stay there again if a competitive rate is available directly from hotel.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Occasional Traffic Noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Oswego, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

I loved my stay at the Belamar. The staff went out of their way to take care of me and my family. The restaurant was awesome. The skirt steak is to die for and the bread pudding out of this world.

Beds super comfy and just a great place.

The Belamar Rocks!

• Liked — the service...best service ever
  • Disliked — workout room needs some work
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Walnut Creek, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

Girls weekend in Manhattan Beach and we had a great time. Great location but you'll definately need a car.

Pros:
Very cute decor, courtyard and pool are great for lounging around, complimentary valet, and verrry comfy beds.

Cons:
Staff for the most part was very friendly except for the Front Desk girl that checked us in was not so welcoming. We had asked for 3 room keys and if there were definately 2 beds in the room. She made us feel like we were the biggest incovenience when checking in. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and the meal was good, I think it would have been better if our waitress was a little friendlier and attentive though. She had clearly forgotten to order my friends soup and didn't want to admit to it since all the entrees had arrived. When we asked about it, she responded in very shord tone that it was coming. Well it came...20 minutes later...it was just a bowl of Shrimp Bisque???

• Liked — decor and portraits in the hallways
  • Disliked — smell in the hallways
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed for a week at the Belamar after cancelling our booking at the Marriot in Torrance .

The Belamar is small enough so the staff all know who you are and greet you by your first name , we loved the cookies at the front desk in the afternoons and the FREE valet parking which after paying $17 a day at the Marriot was a welcome change .

We stayed in room 103 which had a balcony the looked out onto a wall but other than that the roon was a generous size with King Bed and coffee making facilties and fridge .

The bed was superb and we had a very restful nights sleep . The windows opened out so we could get fresh air if we wanted .

The breakfasts were all al la carte and were nicley presented .
The Manhattan breakfast which at $10 was well priced included eggs any style ,choice of breads , potatoes any style , meats including breakfast sausage ,ham ,bacon .

At night time the bar had a happy hour which was very good value as the bartenders poured very strong drinks that only required 2 drinks or you were too tipsy to order more !

All in all a great small hotel that will appeal to some one who has transport , saying that though it was across the road from a mall with shops and restaurants but not within a short walking distance of the beach .

• Liked — Small intimate hotel
  • Disliked — No tea
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!