Our family of four (children ages 19 & 12) just returned from a perfect weekend in Manhattan Beach spent at the Belamar Hotel. This hotel was booked for us by a third party and was a gem! Neatly tucked into a residential neighborhood, one would never guess it was located across the street from a mall with movie theaters and near a major intersection making for easy access. Starting with the cheerful valet service (complimentary parking), the warm welcome from the front staff and the lovely and intimate ambience of the lobby, our family felt right at home the moment we arrived. There was a slight unrecognizable odor in the third-floor hallway which lingered during our stay but it was not terrible and was not present in the room. The tasteful decor of the room was extremely pleasing and we had no complaints about the size or layout. There was a refrigerator, robe(s), iPod speaker, free wireless internet (both in the room and in the business center), and other features you would expect such as good climate control, coffee-maker, room service and wide movie selections. As mentioned in other reviews, the bed and bedding were excellent. We asked for two doubles which meant we only had a choice of the "traditional" rooms. The "deluxe" rooms, which we understood were not all that different but were facing the courtyard, only have one king bed. We had no trouble with our traditional room that faced a quiet side street (and not Sepulveda Blvd). I want to mention again the services available in the business center "corner". There were at least three computers and a printer plus a timetable of the airlines at LAX, all free and available 24/7. My first order of the day was Happy Hour at the hotel bar/restaurant Second Story. With drinks and appetizers at half price (except for wine), my daughter and I shared a hummus appetizer with pita bread and small vegetables that was more than generous and delicious - a great bargain. Later we explored the outdoor heated pool and whirlpool and though we did not go in (the day was in the 40's), it was very appealingly laid with tile reminiscent of a Roman pool. The Second Story restaurant experience was so positive that we returned again for dinner and for two breakfasts. (With the cool mornings and unheated cups, our coffee would cool down quickly but when requested, the servers immediately replaced it with fresh cups of coffee.) At dinner we had two appetizers of fondue and coconut chicken (still at half price with happy hour going until 7pm), halibut, macaroni with four cheeses, blackened chicken salad, fish and chips (made from thick halibut), a to-die-for apple lace pie, coffee, and two glasses of Chardonnay for $110 including tip and tax - it was not only delicious but a bargain, worth every cent. A fun touch was that your bill came to you presented in a hardbound book. A novel idea (no pun intended). I ended up borrowing one of them to read during my stay,,, The best part of the weekend was yet to come - the walk to the beach and the sunset. Right outside of the Belamar, there is access to an easy walking trail of woodchips that takes you to the beach in about 25 minutes. Our family commented several times on the politeness of the drivers towards pedestrians, and - don't laugh - the laid-back dogs which my husband described as all "beach dogs". We saw many dogs being walked that weekend and never heard a single bark. On our second night we witnessed one of the most beautiful sunsets of our lives and enjoyed several hours walking on the sandy beach and the pier. With shops and restaurants nearby, Manhattan Beach is a perfect get-away. I would absolutely recommend the Belamar Hotel to anyone who wanted to add that extra something special.
P.S. Did I mention the warm homemade cookies in the afternoon?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located near Manhattan Village shopping and the best beaches in L.A., The Belamar is an ideal destination for fashionable getaways. Our lively, avant-garde destination melds retro style with modern comforts and our assortment of Manhattan Beach hotel deals offers the best value on accommodations, whether you are here to work or play. From seasonal getaways to romantic escapes to family adventures, there’s always a way to stay and save at The Belamar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Loews Hotels, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Amex, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Belamar Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Larkspur Collection Manhattan Beach
- Manhattan Beach Larkspur Collection