“So much potential however management systems -FAIL!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Belamar Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Belamar Hotel to your Saves list
The Belamar Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 North Sepulveda Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 (Formerly The Belamar Hotel, A Larkspur Collection Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
DC area
“So much potential however management systems -FAIL!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Comment disclaimer:My review is my opinion. At times, some may disagree, however it is my opinion only.

This hotel had so much going for them, I have used them multiple times and asked my entire work team to book here for their's special corporate rates, proximity to LAX, proximity to beaches, free and fast wifi, and I 405.

However on my last visit will be my very last stay as they have some major systemic issues:

1. When I called to reserve hotel about 6 weeks in advance they never sent an email confirmation-
2.Weekend before arrival I called to ask for one they sent me they booked wrong dates for my corporate rate. When I arrived on my right date they had oversold all rooms and could not find a hotel to book me I told them that was fine if they moved me but they had to find same class hotel under my special corporate rate
3. After 5 or 6 attempts , front desk gave up and did whatever to find me a room in the hotel
4. I went to my room with the key they gave me and I walked in on another guest already assigned to that same room! luckily that guest was decent.
5. I went to front desk and explained, and check in assigned me new room (apologized for inconvenience and was super sorry) - went to my 2nd assigned room and started to unpack then I got a phone call saying they had to move me again because a family was coming and they need the adjoining room.
6. Finally got assigned my 3rd room (all within 1 hour of checking in) which was upgraded for a bigger room probably due to the inconvenience of playing "musical rooms"
7. When I got back to the room that night I noticed I had no shampoo or shower gel, I only had conditioner and bar of soap. I was tired and said I'll just wait until tomorrow since housekeeping would refresh my room and replenish. However Day 2 housekeeping came and cleaned my room but still no toiletries! It was midnight and I had call housekeeping since I couldn't wait any longer to shower to get shampoo and shower gel.
8. Worst fail is after repeatedly following up in person with the front desk staff during my stay there would be no charge on my corporate card for the inaccurately booked arrival date and him promising me the fee was not charged, I received credit card bill a few weeks after stay with the inaccurate charge. I was so angry since my organization is very strict about unauthorized charges on the corporate card. The hotel did promptly remove the charge after I emailed and called however it could have all been prevented if they had a fail safe reservation system in the 1st place.

I do want to acknowledge I think the check in manager made an effort to reconcile, he comped me free breakfast and was very apologetic. I believe they have some serious reservation protocol/system issues. I am not sure how they can oversell a room or assign a room key when a guest already has a room checked out. It tells me that their computer systems do not have fails safes and there are some lack of manager oversight especially on details and quality assurance. I remember my last visit, my colleague booked the same hotel and the reservations booked 2 rooms for her when she asked for 1 and they lost my reservation for my other coworker

Sorry Belamar, but I will be moving my business to the Marriott down the street.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Melanie T, Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and it was very disheartening to hear you experienced such difficulties during your stay. We have shared your experience with our staff and have used it as coaching and counseling tool to ensure this does not ever happen again to any of our valued guests. Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any needs you might have in the future at mtennant@thebelamar.com. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope to earn your loyalty back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

It was late when I arrived at The Belamar and the front desk agent, Fabian, was courteous and prompt. This was appreciated after a long drive and needing to get into a bed. When I reached the bed I fell into a cloud of comfort and slept perfectly. In the morning, my son commented on how nice everything looked in the room and I have to agree. Check out was efficient and friendly as was the valet service. We headed out to check out the beach and found it was not far from the hotel. Manhattan Beach has access to a great jogging path and biking path that stretches up and down the coast for quite a distance. I look forward to coming back and spending more time in this area and staying at the friendly and comfortable Belamar. Next time, I will use the bikes they offer and hit that great trail along the beach.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Melanie T, Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear TravelHound73,

Thank you for your compliments and recognizing our staff. We have shared your feedback with them and we would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your experience with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed at The Belamar for 4 nights on a business trip. Location was excellent for my needs -- a short drive from the office but also convenient to the restaurants of Manhattan Beach. Located on the corner of Sepulveda and Rosecrans (both busy roads), but was very quiet inside.

We arrived early and were not able to check-in right away, but they offered to hold our bags for us while we explored Manhattan Beach. Mandatory (free) valet parking was kind of a pain, but just a minor complaint.

Hotel seems to have been renovated fairly recently with funky lobby and nice, functional rooms. Separate desk + chair, comfortable bed, reliable and fast wi-fi -- can't ask for much more. Bathroom wasn't that impressive, but was clean.

Restaurant on the 2nd floor (actually called "Second Story", I think) was excellent. Continental breakfast was perfect for the mornings. We had dinner there one night and it was surprisingly excellent -- plenty of TVs to watch the game and full bar too.

Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Interior rooms may be quieter than exterior rooms facing busy streets.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are about to make some minor tweaks that we know you will enjoy. Let us know the next time you are in town so we can assist you and treat you to some of our famous Bela Chips at Second Story! Once again, thank you for being our guest!
Visalia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

As a native So Cal guy who moved away - I love 'going back to the beach'. Went to Manhattan Beach for a couple of days and chose this hotel.

If you want beachfront or walk to the beach - this is not your hotel. If, as all Californians do, you have a car: it is pefect. Very close to all beach communities - and LAX.

Hotel is 70's style motor lodge - right on PCH - nicely renovated by the owners. Now feels more like a boutique hotel. Nice little touches that you'd find in a much more expensive property. Friendly, helpful staff. Great on property restaurant - and really good b'fast buffet (with made to order dishes included) as part of the price.

Would definitely return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Melanie T, Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for noticing some of our changes and your kind words regarding your stay. We have some more tweaks coming up but we know you will love the enhancements. See you again soon!
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

An interesting retro decor and a friendly staff. However, if you like to sleep without the roar and vibration of vehicles accelerating away from the adjacent intersection, this is not the place to get a restful sleep. I wear earplugs when I sleep but could still hear, and feel the vibration, from the cars, trucks and motorcycles on the nearby road. The hotel is conveniently located near the airport and within a short walk of some nice restauants and shopping venues but ultimately the proximity of the intersection of two high-traffic roads makes this a poor choice for a peaceful place to rest and relax.

Dear Rode Warrior,

We were sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy your stay at the Belamar. Please let us know the next time you are in town so you can try one of our quiet deluxe rooms facing our courtyard. Thank you for being our guest and have a wonderful week.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I just returned form Southern Ca.,tonight & I couldn't wait to send this review in. We needed on night in LA for an early flight out & I just happen to see the hotel online.
This place is nestled in a great neighborhood & so close to the greenway for a quick walk to the beach. It has everything.
The valet.was charming & welcoming, the desk staff equally as welcoming & professional.and the restaurant , perfect. The bar tender was great, & knowlegeable about the area & everything on the menu.
The chef, puts out 5 star quality food, our dinner was among the best we had on our trip.
Accommodations, clean,comfortable & very well appointed.
Should we be back in the area soon we will defiantly stay again, & share The Belamar with all we know traveling to & from LAX

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sue,

We were so excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We have shared your feedback with our staff and they loved hearing that you appreciated their hospitality. We look forward to your return and hope to see you again soon!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The Belamar is friendly and intimate fabulously close to LAX it is great for fast access to and from the airport. Shuttles are $12 and if there are two or more of you a taxi should be not much more than $20. I stayed at the hotel for a 3 day workshop in February 2014. As it was an inaugural event the organisers had advised they would be budget conscious so I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, far from the cookie cutter inn style I was expecting it had style and charm and excellent beds. The outdoor (covered) pool and hot tub were a very welcome touch. The Second Story Restaurant was good value, great quality food and servers were excellent. Additionally the hotel is walking distance from Manhattan Beach Village Mall which has a good selection of alternative restuarants, Macys, Ralphs and the usual drug stores and banks. There were at least 2 pilates studios within walking distance as well as Wholefoods and a number of juice bars. The only downside to the hotel was that it abutts the busy N. Sepulveda Boulevard on the North but the south side & entrance is in a quiet, pretty and well kept neighbourhood. There is a great well maintained walkway to the shopping & dinning hub of Manhattan Beach (Highland Ave & Manhattan Beach Boulevard) which is about 2 miles and from there just a couple of blocks to the well kept beach and pier. The neighbourhood is friendly and chic and offers plenty for those who do not have cars which was a pleasant surprise in LA. I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms overlooking the courtyard have balconies which are nice for some private outdoor s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We love hearing when our guests enjoy their stay and are able to enjoy the Manhattan Beach area and all that it has to offer. We hope to have you back as our guest again soon!

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!