“Bella Belamar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Belamar Hotel

You added The Belamar Hotel to your Saves list
The Belamar Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 North Sepulveda Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 (Formerly The Belamar Hotel, A Larkspur Collection Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 20% Now!
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Bella Belamar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed at the Belamar Hotel for three nights over MLK weekend. What a wonderful boutique hotel. The staff was so friendly and helpful in every way possible. I personally enjoyed their fruit flavored water of the day and the serene pool set up through the courtyard. The housekeeping staff seemed ever-so present and it made me happy to see the care and time they put into keeping their hotel a beautiful place to stay. The decor was modern and warm and the beds were super comfy. The hotel is conveniently located close to the amazing restaurants of Manhattan and Hermosa Beaches. The only thing I can suggest for this place was that they include individual safes for each room. These days, with lap tops, ipads, nooks, iphones, cameras, etc., I'd have felt a lot better leaving for the day knowing my personal belongings were locked up.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Melanie T, Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Shanna,
We were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are actually in the process of adding in-room safes so thank you for feedback! We hope to have you back as our guest again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My son and I stayed at The Belamar Hotel in Manhattan Bch for the 2014 Auburn/FSU BCS Title Game. It's a hidden little jewel and I really liked this hotel. It was very clean; very comfortable bed and the staff was very nice. No hidden WiFi or parking charges. If I went back to this area, I would stay at The Belamar Hotel and I am a picky person. If you're looking for luxurious granite, spacious lobby area with waterfalls and an atrium, this "ain't" it but I was more than happy with my stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Excellent, We love the welcoming feeling we receive each time we arrive, guest rooms and staff friendly and the most comfortable luxury beds.!!!! Housekeeping was wonderful,the jacuzzi and pool ,despite the cold my daughters enjoyed the pool.We will come back again!!!

Room Tip: good location
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We arrived to the Belamar on the late side, exhausted. When we got to our room, we had 2 full beds rather than the King Deluxe that we'd reserved (and paid more for). Given that I was 6 months pregnant and we were hoping for a nice romantic stay, the king bed was important enough for us to pay more for to ensure the bedding we wanted. The front desk was helpful in that they brought up a new key to relocate us, however when we went to our second room it ALSO had 2 full beds. We called back down, but exhausted, decided just to try and fix it in the morning.

In the morning we were told that because we reserved through a 3rd party, we weren't guaranteed a specific bedding type - luckily I knew better, and knew that we'd actually paid for the upgraded room and guaranteed bedding (had I not known I'm sure I would have just taken his word for it). Once I'd convinced him, he was helpful and found a nice king room for us.

Once in the room, we were happy with it - very comfortable bed, spacious, everything we needed. Sleep was lovely in the room, except that the smoke detector seemed to be on the fritz - it beeped one night while we were sleeping. We didn't do anything about it, since it seemed to only happen once. The next night, it happened again, so I called down to the front desk at 4am - clearly I'd been asleep when I called. I was really shocked by the person's response - laughing, he asked me "Well, are you smoking???" It was pretty rude! I told him, "No, we're asleep." He told me that there was nothing he could do, and to disable the smoke alarm. Pretty sure that's against some sort of code!

Lots of pros to our stay, despite the issues, include: mostly friendly and helpful staff, nice breakfast at the hotel restaurant, very comfortable room and bed, lovely little pool area - while not warm enough for swimming it was a relaxing place to sit and read and enjoy the outdoor space.

Room Tip: Rooms really vary - know what you're reserving and be sure you get what you paid for!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Melanie T, Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear PhillytoBoston,

Happy Holidays and thank you for being our guest. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay regarding your reservation details. I have shared your comments with our Front Office staff and we are taking the appropriate measures to improve our service to our valued guests. Please let me know the next time you are in Manhattan Beach and I would be more than happy to take care of your reservation details. Again, thank you for being our guest.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Belamar is essentially motel style, but which has been refurbished to try and give a touch of “glam” Los Angeles. It is about a $15 – 20 taxi ride from the airport.

My stay wasn’t great.

On checking in, the receptionist spent all the time on the telephone; in between him talking to the caller, I asked for a quiet room (and had even emailed the hotel a couple of days beforehand requesting one, although didn’t get any response/acknowledgement), but ended up being assigned to a very noisy room on Sepulveda boulevard. Be aware that this is an extremely busy road day and night and there is very little sound insulation from the windows.

The noise continues.... thin walls, thin ceilings (you will hear WC flushings), a very noisy heating/air conditioning unit (too noisy to have on and sleep through).

The room didn’t have all the functionality I would have liked eg no in room safe, no minibar (though there is a fridge), no international electric sockets, no kettle (there is a coffee machine, but not able to make tea/chocolate). But there were a couple of varieties of coffee creamer in the service tray, including French Vanilla and Hazlenut coffee mate, which I guess is different from most hotel offerings. In the bathroom, the cold tap on the washbasin wouldn’t turn off, so this meant a continual trickle of water. Wi-fi worked fine and was included in the room rate.

The room service breakfast I ordered was the “healthy” option, but unfortunately the turkey and omelette was served in a pool of vegetable/cooking oil, which also made the bread very soggy and inedible.

The ground floor of the hotel, near the elevators, was always very scruffy and messy, with all the dirty linen and towels strewn on the floor, empty bottles/used room service trays, etc – not creating a favourable impression.

On the other side of Sepulveda, less than a 5 minute walk away, there is a shopping mall, with stores such as Macy’s and Apple, plus a reasonable selection of restaurants. However, when I asked at reception for where I could go for a walk from the hotel, the receptionist (a different person from the one mentioned above), just shrugged his shoulders.

On a more fun note, all the neighbouring houses had very ornate and elaborate Christmas lights/decorations covering the entire house, garages, gardens, which were quite fun to look at.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your insight and thoughtful feedback regarding your stay. Please accept my sincerest regrets of the inconveniences and shortfalls you experienced during your stay. It is not typical of the service we strive to provide for our guests. I have shared your comments with our staff and respective departments and we are taking the appropriate measures to improve and address the issues you experienced. Please let me know the next time you are in Manhattan Beach and I would be more than happy to take care of your reservation details so you can truly experience Belamar hospitality. Thank you for being our guest and happy holidays.
Lexington, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

One of theose trips where what could go wrong did. Brad Evans the evening staff was excellent. He was the only one working the desk yet was able to assist me with all my needs , answer the phone attend other guest all the while a Chrismas funtion going on in a sold out hotel. He remained calm and collective with a smile on his face at all times. I was very impressed.

Room Tip: You are in a residential neighborhood so off a main road, so you can ask which side is the most quie...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I'm sure in the 60's or '70's this may have been a delightful property. But with the Aquamarine wall coverings, and things in the room that didn't work, it's not ready for prime time by any means. The place needs some modernization.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Melanie T, Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear DadTraveler001,

First of all, I would like to thank you for being our guest. We value your feedback and have shared it with our staff. We actually have some exciting plans in the works and would love to have you back as our guest once we have completed our scheduled enhancements. Please contact me at mtennant@thebelamar.com so we can handle your reservation details the next time you are in Manhattan Beach. Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us, we won’t disappoint the next time you are here!

Melanie Tennant
Assistant General Manager

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!