“It's worth reading this review...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #136 of 179 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Cuisines: Indian
Torrance, CA
“It's worth reading this review...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

After choosing a discount certificate for Magic Skewers, my eyes moved to the reviews. Yes, it should have been the other way around, but my wife & I had been regulars there years ago so I knew what to expect. (We had stopped going there because we had moved.)
Yes, Amir is a character, and Yes, its best to call out his name when you come thru the door and you don't see anyone working, and Yes, the place looks as worn out as it did years ago.
As for our experience this time, the food was just as good, the portions were good, but the prices have become a bit too expensive, especially since our certificate required a minimum $45.00 purchase (rendering our bill, after the certificate was applied, to be in excess of $50.00).
Amir indicated that he 'survives on the tips' and that the building will soon be torn down. Perhaps it was good that we used our certificate, but I don't expect our return for another dinner.
Its your choice, and if you choose to dine there, the food should be good, and the place should be quiet (a good place for a quiet date).
Enjoy...

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manhattan Beach, California
“Good selection. Good food. Low price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Food was good. A little salty. Not great food... but good. Low price. Good selection of dishes. BIG portions. Cozy old fashioned style setting. We enjoyed the experience. Owner is a nice man who will come out and talk to you.

Visited September 2012
Manhattan Beach, California
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I recently dined at Magic Skewers because of an offer on Groupon; $20 worth of food for $10. When we arrived, there was only one other couple at the restaurant, and only 2 more small groups came in during the time we were there. This should have been a red flag. The owner is very friendly, chatty, and attentive, however the food is only average. The chicken was very salty, fatty, and all red meat. I prefer white, but this was not an option. My wife's lamb contained much gristle. There were yellow rice, a few mushrooms, a small slice of raw onion, and a piece of tomato, but no other vegetables. We each were given half of a piece of pita bread. Tabbouli and hummus were not served or offered. The restaurant does not serve beer or wine, but will provide glasses for a $6 service charge. My recommendation would be to avoid this place. There is a much better alternative for this type of food in Manhattan Beach: Open Sesame. The prices are about the same, but it offers all the things not included at Magic Skewers and the food is much better.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Griffin, Georgia
“I loved this place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Huge tasty portions of fish, steak, and chicken. Would have eaten here every night of the trip but my wife wouldn't let me.

Visited February 2012
CA
“If you like interesting and have a sense of adventure...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

This place is for you! Huge portions, great food but the ambiance was definitely interesting. The owner is very sweet and gracious but be prepared that there will be TV's blaring, dead plants and rickety glass tables.
Get the Chicken Skewer dinner with the add on Shrimp Scampi- you won't be disappointed!

If they updated the decor and accepted credit cards, I would add a star since the food is very good.

Visited February 2012