“The perfect home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars

Shade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1221 North Valley Drive, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Los Angeles, California
“The perfect home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My partner, his 3-year old son and I enjoyed a long-term stay at Shade. We were treated like family by the best staff we have ever had the pleasure to know. We needed a place to call home for several months and Shade was, hands-down, the best and only choice. During our stay, we stayed in a variety of rooms from the standard room to the suite to the penthouse and all of them were beautiful, and spared no attention to detail. The Chromatherapy jacuzzi tub was a family favorite as well as the very comfortable California King Tempurpedic bed. We had a long wish list of things to do, attractions to see, places to visit and the very knowledgeable staff helped us coordinate and execute many of our adventures to Santa Barbara, San Diego, Mammoth and various locations in the greater Los Angeles area. The valet staff were always there to greet us or send us off with a smile and transportation provided by their town car driver enhanced all of our experiences when we chose to ride. From cocktails on the Skydeck with out-of-town girlfriends to romantic dinners in Zinc lounge to relaxing family time on the patio, we were able to experience all of the many environments and meet most of the staff working their various shifts. Their relaxed vibe and easy-going attitude made each meal, drink or pass through the lobby a pleasant occasion. We were very appreciative of the staff's enthusiastic reception of a toddler in their midst and their ability to make him feel at home. We took advantage of all of the goodies available at Shade too - long bike rides along the ocean on their beach cruisers, hitting the beach with their beach totes and towels, shopping for fresh produce at the weekly farmer's market, not to mention the stone's throw access to Manhattan Beach's amazing selection of boutiques and great neighboring restaurants. We celebrated several special occasions at Shade including Valentine's Day and three birthdays and hosted many out-of-town guests. I am sure we managed to try just about everything on the menu and room service menu and we were very happy with the quality and taste of the food. I cannot say enough about the staff, especially the breakfast crew who greeted us with a friendly and happy smile and set the tone for our day. They are like family to us now. We enthusiastically recommend this hotel. Quite simply, Shade exceeded all of our expectations.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I hadn't really planned on staying here and Im so glad I did! Everybody is so welcoming and friendly and I almost died when I saw the bathtub. I have a TERRIBLE time sleeping especially in hotels but Shade was most certainly the exception. I loved being so close to the water and all the nightlife that manhattan Beach has to offer. I love this hotel and will be spending much more time there in the future :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I've stayed at Shade before, and it's always a great time. This time was no different. The service is always great, and the happy hour food and cocktails are a blast. It's walkable to all sorts of shops and stores, and we used their complimentary beach cruisers to ride to the beach.

I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel several times and thought it high time I wrote a review! I travel all over the world, in various types of hotels and I always look forward to staying at Shade. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly, accommodating and always on top of their game. The lounge at the hotel has wonderful drinks and spectacular food. It is one of the few hotels that I enjoy sitting and having a drink at. The location is perfectly situated and allows easy access to the charming town of Manhattan Beach and all that it has to offer. The best part is that this hotel is family owned; you can feel the difference from all those large chain hotels which are so impersonal! The rooms are comfortable (Tempurpedic beds), have all the usual amenities and more (blender, espresso maker, "love box", etc). All in all a wonderful town and an extraordinary hotel!

Room Tip: business regulars discount
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Shade on April 10, 2011. The room was well appointed, very clean, 1st class coffee maker, great bath with stone, separate jetted tub and shower. Local cupcakes a nice touch. Check in easy, valet efficient, bar very lively with new cocktails added regularly and dining on the patio just a delight. An easy walk to the beach and pier, with an amazing number of excellent restaurant choices.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

I recently had the pleasure to stay at Shade Hotel as a Mother's Day present. It was spectacular!! When I opened the door to this beautiful, contemporary, but charming room I was blown away! A fabulous jacuzzi tub awaited me!! The details in the room, down to the amazing bed that included a "library" of pillows had me giddy! Turn down was also unexpected! The room was lit in "blue" lights, and the cupcakes next to the bed were a delight! It truly was a getaway for this tired, overworked mom of two. I wished I could stay longer than one night!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We traveled from Park City, Utah to Manhattan Beach, California with our three young children to visit family and friends and recharge in the warm sun after a long snowy winter in the mountains. Our five day stay at Shade Hotel was perfect! Shade is locate just three blocks up from the strand and in the heart of great shopping, dining and all that quaint Manhattan Beach has to offer. Our one room spa was spacious and unique with an oversized tub and surrounding glass walls dividing the living and sleeping space from the bathroom area. All finishes were contemporary and cleanlined and the lighting was subtle and soothing, changing atmosphere from bright and airy to cool blues as we saw fit. The rooftop pool was sunny all day and surrounded with comfortable furnishings where we could dine, cocktail or just relax in the sun. We were escorted around the nightclub located off lobby in the evenings with our kids and the music was never an issue or disturbance. The entire stay was more than enjoyable on all levels and we will definitely return to Shade Hotel on future visits to LA.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!