“Great Cuban Food at Reasonable Prices” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Bay Area
“Great Cuban Food at Reasonable Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Great Cuban food at reasonable prices
Huge portions
Great salads
Favorite is the pork, lechon asado; also love the garlic chicken
Good seafood entrée

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Torrance, California
“Inconsistent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

I used to love this place: garlic chicken, lechón asada, bistec empanizada, camarones al ajillo, bistec de palomilla, ropa vieja, picadillo, arroz con pollo... the mere thought of any of these dishes was enough to set my mouth watering. Granted, the kitchen takes shortcuts on some things, using what I'm pretty sure are Goya's frozen croquetas, disguising overcooked halibut by dousing heavily with mojo or serving canned fruit with cream cheese for dessert (to be fair, they do always warn that the papaya is canned.). We were understanding about such things. Goya's croquetas are good actually, I'm OK with canned papaya with my cheese and considering the size of said halibut steak and the huge quantities of rice and plátanos we're served, I hardly feel we're being cheated. But as of late things are getting progressively more and more spotty. Shrimp portions shrank as the economy slumped; the cuts of pork in the sandwich cubano are laced with fat; calamari was cooked into a state of rubberyness mojo just can't hide; and about a third of the time we're served plátanos maduros they're both underripe and cooked too quickly. Disappointing.

At this writing, I'm not sure whether this malady is confined to only the South Bay Versailles or if they're all in a slump. I sure hope not. I miss having my mouth water over the prospect of dinner at Versailles.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
southern california
“not nearly as good as one on venice blvd”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

not nearly as good as one on venice blvd

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Overhyped and I had one...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Overhyped and I had one of the worst experiences here in terms of service. Havana Mania is much better and less expensive.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good Cuban food with large portions. Everything $9 and up depending on what you order”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008