“You can never go home again!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S Inglewood Avenue
Description: Authentic Indian Cuisine
Manhattan Beach
“You can never go home again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Tonight I went back to your restaurant after not having eaten there for several years. What a change . . . and all for the worse!

The rice had a brownish tinge obviously from being in the rice cooker on warm way too long - we have a fancy $300 rice cooker and my rice only turns that color after being on warm for more than a day! Also the portions were way smaller - I noticed right away the macaronic scoop was made using the smaller scoop (vs. the regular ice cream scooper size in the past). The portions were adequate but not the same amount as in the past. We used to not be able to finish - today we were still hungry so I had to buy an appetizer after the meal since my son was still hungry. The worst shock was the gigantic price increase after not coming for 2-3 years. Literally the Hawaiian fried chicken was $4 more - almost a 40% increase. The Chicken Katsu was also more - but interestingly less than the Hawaiian fried chicken. It used to be more.

A month ago I went to the Loft in Torrance. I realize your restaurants are no longer affiliated but of course because they are so similar old time patrons cannot help but compare. I immediately went to their website to compare prices. Sure enough they were consistently lower in prices from your restaurant for the same menu items. Of course we will not be back and you can be sure we will let other tranferred locals about our experience.

By the way our service was friendly but very slow. The restaurant had only two waitresses when we went in (understandable when there was only one other party at 6:30 pm) but by the time we left at 7:30 there were a few more patrons and service for an additional appetizer took 20min and we had to ask the mansger for our bill since the waitresses were busy taking orders!!

It is such a shame as this used to be one of our favorite restaurants. Now I remember why we stopped going - it was slowly getting worse and worse and now it is horrible for food quality, price and service.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Redondo Beach, California
“Best Hawaiian Food in the South Bay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

As other reviews have mentioned, I definitely think that Back Home in Lahaina has the best Hawaiian food in the South Bay! The restaurant is a relaxed, cozy little place on Sepulveda Blvd. (For those who have never been there, there is plenty of parking located in the back of the restaurant, though you can't see this from Sepulveda.)

The food is amazing! I always start with some spam musubi, and it is among the best I've had. Next, I get the Chicken Teriyaki plate with white rice, macaroni salad (which is some of the best macaroni salad I've had) and some of their ramen salad, too. You can ask for lean, skinless chicken breast and let me tell you, the chicken that they use is FRESH!!! The teriyaki sauce is sweet and thick. I can't get enough!!!!

(They also serve Hawaiian Sun soft drinks here... they're about $2 per can, I think but still, I usually get one or two.)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Love their Island Style...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Love their Island Style Fried Chicken and Ramen Salad.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best Hawaiian in South Bay. I love the laulau plate!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Best Hawaiian in South Bay. I love the laulau plate!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Chill spot for good comfort food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Chill spot for good comfort food.