“A touch of Hawaii in L.A.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S Inglewood Avenue
Description: Authentic Indian Cuisine
California
“A touch of Hawaii in L.A.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The dining room is decorated to look tropical with a painted "sky" and even a tree growing in the middle of the room with a raised glass ceiling, along with fake tropical plants and fruit strewn about. The service is friendly and attentive. The food is good and portions are generous. Lots of dishes remind me of Hawaiian "local" food. The only thing missing is poi, but there probably isn't a big demand for it. My husband likes their Chinese Chicken Salad on which you can select the type of chicken (shredded, BBQ, etc). I like the BBQ pork. You get to select from several side dishes with every entree. Not expensive either. We usually have dinner for 2 for under $30, but we're light eaters. Yummm! Looking forward to going back!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

From start to finish the service was great. The food was a little long in coming but when it arrived it was delicious. Hard to review the atmosphere there were only 4 other people in. I imagine at night it would be a great place to eat also. The food was well cooked, hot, well presented and well priced. i would eat here again.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Cruz, California
“Try the Lahaina fried chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

You have to try the Lahaina fried chicken. Nothing like it out there. My daughter loves to eat here & my wife loves the salads. Great place to go if your tired of the FGI Fridays, Chill's same ol same ol.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manhattan Beach
“You can never go home again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Tonight I went back to your restaurant after not having eaten there for several years. What a change . . . and all for the worse!

The rice had a brownish tinge obviously from being in the rice cooker on warm way too long - we have a fancy $300 rice cooker and my rice only turns that color after being on warm for more than a day! Also the portions were way smaller - I noticed right away the macaronic scoop was made using the smaller scoop (vs. the regular ice cream scooper size in the past). The portions were adequate but not the same amount as in the past. We used to not be able to finish - today we were still hungry so I had to buy an appetizer after the meal since my son was still hungry. The worst shock was the gigantic price increase after not coming for 2-3 years. Literally the Hawaiian fried chicken was $4 more - almost a 40% increase. The Chicken Katsu was also more - but interestingly less than the Hawaiian fried chicken. It used to be more.

A month ago I went to the Loft in Torrance. I realize your restaurants are no longer affiliated but of course because they are so similar old time patrons cannot help but compare. I immediately went to their website to compare prices. Sure enough they were consistently lower in prices from your restaurant for the same menu items. Of course we will not be back and you can be sure we will let other tranferred locals about our experience.

By the way our service was friendly but very slow. The restaurant had only two waitresses when we went in (understandable when there was only one other party at 6:30 pm) but by the time we left at 7:30 there were a few more patrons and service for an additional appetizer took 20min and we had to ask the mansger for our bill since the waitresses were busy taking orders!!

It is such a shame as this used to be one of our favorite restaurants. Now I remember why we stopped going - it was slowly getting worse and worse and now it is horrible for food quality, price and service.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Redondo Beach, California
“Best Hawaiian Food in the South Bay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

As other reviews have mentioned, I definitely think that Back Home in Lahaina has the best Hawaiian food in the South Bay! The restaurant is a relaxed, cozy little place on Sepulveda Blvd. (For those who have never been there, there is plenty of parking located in the back of the restaurant, though you can't see this from Sepulveda.)

The food is amazing! I always start with some spam musubi, and it is among the best I've had. Next, I get the Chicken Teriyaki plate with white rice, macaroni salad (which is some of the best macaroni salad I've had) and some of their ramen salad, too. You can ask for lean, skinless chicken breast and let me tell you, the chicken that they use is FRESH!!! The teriyaki sauce is sweet and thick. I can't get enough!!!!

(They also serve Hawaiian Sun soft drinks here... they're about $2 per can, I think but still, I usually get one or two.)

• 5 of 5 stars Food