“Outstanding - Worth the Wait and Drive” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Glendale, California
“Outstanding - Worth the Wait and Drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Mama D's is the best new restaurant discovery that I have made in a long time.

My boyfriend and I went to Redondo Beach on Sunday night to get some exercise walking near the ocean. We were planning on heading home around six, but decided to try a local restaurant for dinner. Mama D's had a huge crowd out front, so we scanned for reviews and decided that it might be worth the wait.

The wait outside was a mad house, but the hostess took it in stride. She even had a few pushy customers try to get ahead in the queue, but nicely put them in their place. They have lemonade and water jugs to get you happy while waiting and had a server pass around garlic bread and samples of their pasta with red sauce.

We waited about forty minutes, but the time went by quickly and you could tell that the entire staff was working hard to make customers happy.

They have a slick trick of writing your name down on a dry erase board to keep it very personable. Nice touch.

I had the lasagna and my boyfriend had spaghetti Bolognese. We both loved our meals. I was so full off of the garlic bread (very yummy) that I took half my lasagna home. The lasagna was so good that I craved it first thing this morning and had it for breakfast! It was one of the best lasagnas that I have ever eaten.

We got glasses of house wine with dinner. They had a deal that if we ordered two glasses each, that the third glass was free. We had six glasses of wine for just over twenty dollars. Not a bad deal at all. Our meals were very reasonably priced as well.

We wanted to order dessert, but found out that they don't do dessert. Instead, they give everyone fresh baked cookies with the bill. Awesome!

The manager even came over and introduced himself. A very nice guy and it made us like the restaurant even more.

There was nothing to dislike about Mama D's, except for that it's so far away from where we live! Eat here, it's fantastic!

Please visit my blog for more reviews and musings.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Brisbane, Australia
“Great Italian/great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just spent an enjoyable evening with my family of six at this great place a block from Manhattan Beach. Very affordable and very tasty with great service! $96 fed 6 with 3 beers and 2 wines as well!! Might have a bit of a wait but it is worth it! Gipsie was a great waitress!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Mama D...ellightful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Nice surprise - didn't expect this in a beach area, not too expensive an excellent choices on the menu. Had a lobster tortellini which was really really good. My business colleague had a homemade ravioli with prime rib in the middle. I am from St Louis MO and familiar with quality Italian food (The Hill area) and this was really good. Couldn't find any draw backs, lots of families were there.

Visited June 2013
Atlanta, GA
“Always good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Every time we visit Manhattan Beach this is a must go to place. The food is consistently good and the service is excellent. I had the chicken Chris (chicken and eggplant) and it was wonderful. They offer bread and pizza that is served while waiting for a table and even while seated and eating.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food but noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The food is VERY good. It is definitely a family restaurant. There were many families with small children so the noise level was "up there". We especially enjoyed the lasagna and ravioli!

Visited March 2013