“Good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles

You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1817 North Sepulveda Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Altadena, California
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Although the outside of this hotel is discouragingly run-down looking, it is very pleasant in the lobby and the suites are comfortable and reasonably well-appointed. Breakfast is extensive and quite good, although the dining area is cramped. My telephone didn't work properly when I tried to schedule a wake-up call. This was the only problem I encountered.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The property has potential, but needs some work. We checked in to a studio room late at night the day after Xmas and were offered a corner room on the top floor (3rd) as per my emailed request, as I am a light sleeper - this was most appreciated. We then went for a 10 min walk to the nearby Ralph's supermarket to pick up some supplies for our week long stay, but were disappointed upon our return to find that there were no plates, cultery, cups etc to use the kettle, fridge of microwave! The night porter was able to help us out, but this meant going downstairs again (in the cold) to obtain them around 11:30pm. The room itself is fine, as it offers a lounge suite, coffee table, desk and chair, kitchenette with small fridge, heater, TV on a swivel so you can watch it in the lounge area or the bedroom. The bathroom was a large ensuite, but the light and fan were so loud that we were sure the neighbours would hear it every time we went in to use the bathroom late at night (we heard others), but this was unavoidable as it is pitch black in there with no separate light switch to the fan. The bed was comfortable and there was enough space to hang out clothes and put some in the draws. A make up vanity was helpful for getting ready while my husband showered in the separate bathroom and there were plenty of different lighting options to use in the living areas of the suite, as to not disturb the other if they were sleeping. The wifi was included, but it dropped out a fair bit late at night, but most people are usually sleeping so that wouldn't normally be an issue. We would just have to reconnect our devices each day.

The only stand out negative was that when my friend arrived at midnight to check in after a long day of travel, she had some issues with payment (her husband had booked the week long stay with his credit card, but he wasn't staying with us) so when I offered for the room charge to be added to my own room, so that she could get some sleep and deal with the issue in the morning, the clerk made me go back to my room to provide my credit card again, even though I had only checked in an hour or so beforehand and my details were on file. Again, this was after midnight and it was very cold outside (the property is all open and the rooms overlook a courtyard inwards facing) so going all the way back up and back was about 10 mins - she had to wait there at the desk while I went back upstairs. I had an injured ankle and was all strapped up, so this was probably why I was most annoyed by the issue. We sorted it out and planned to sort it out with the day clerk the following morning (she was great about it too).

There is a small breakfast room and a decent breakfast offered in the morning, which is included in the room rate. This includes the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, cereals, waffles, fruit and yoghurt + a coffee machine with a variety of creamers and take away cups for those on the go. There was a lovely courtyard where you could dine in outside the breakfast room, but given the winter weather it was just too cold.

The property is located on a main road, so there is street noise, but it wasn't too bad. There are major shopping centres across the road and all the way down for almost a mile so you don't need a car if you don't want one; you're also close to nearby Manhattan Beach if you want to enjoy a walk. We also had dinner in nearby neighbourhoods of Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach, but we would use Uber as to enjoy a few wines or beers as well (this was less than $10 each time).

Hotel parking was undercover, but not secure (this didn't bother us as the area seemed safe enough) and we never had to hunt around for a parking space. There is a vet located next door with an outdoor carpark before the entry to the hotel basement carpark, so we were able to use this at night time if we were only returning for a short time to get changed before heading back out.

We did have a loud and noisy neighbour on our second night - they checked in around midnight and had children, so the banging and loud TV was bothersome. After an hour of this (1am) I phoned the front desk to find out if the family were staying for many days, as I would need a different room if that were the case, but there was only a ground floor street facing room available and that would have offered a lot more street noise than my current suite. The following morning the day clerk phoned me to advise that the family were being moved to the other room for the remainder of their stay and she apologised for the noise. It was not what I had expected and I felt bad for the family, but happy to have the restful sleep that I was hoping for, for the remainder of our stay.

I would recommend this property for a couple or 2 friends, but any more than that per room would be too squished. I'd call it a 3 star property and the price was great, so I'd stay there again if in the area for a 3-5 day.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for five nights. Nice rooms, got everything you need and the internet was fast and good. A small walk to the beach and nice restaurants. Breakfast just ok, but still a good start in The morning

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel staff were very friendly. We requested for an early check in and the staff did not hesitate to provide the room earlier. The room was very clean and was well equipped. The hotel is close to shops like target , and also good restaurants such as olive garden and rubio's. It was convenient to travel to the airport without hitting traffic. The only drawback was the thermostat did not work very well over night. Overall good experience.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Lake Arrowhead, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Got all you need for space, proximity to beach, aerospace and large corp; shopping is easy and whole foods..movies and close to fwy.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles? Share your experiences!