“Clean and convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles

Save Saved
You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1817 North Sepulveda Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Manhattan Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Clean and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Good size, clean, close to the airport and short cab ride to Hermosa beach, great value.
Had a bit of an issue checking in as they couldn't initially find that the website I registered with had booked the room which was very frustrating, but they have a communal area with free beer and food during their social hours so I was able to wait in there and have a chat to other people staying at the hotel.
Overall good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

My brother and I recently stayed here while visiting family in Manhattan Beach. The room was clean, comfortable and safe. The bed was comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly. The free breakfast was as good as you would expect it to be with the usual eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, cereals, etc.

I would have no problem recommending this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Southport, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My family stayed at this property twice during our trip to the US in Dec 2011/Jan 2012. The first night was fantastic - they gave us a very early check in which helped with our jet lag and the front counter staff were very generous and happy to help us out. There was enough space for my husband and I in our own room, the children slept in the living area on the sofa bed which they thought was very exciting!
The hotel is 5 minute cab ride from LAX, which is why we stayed here as we had a flight the next day.
The hotel does have a hot breakfast which is pretty good and its very close to some good shopping at the Manhattan Village mall which is about a 10 minute walk.
Second stay on the way out of the US wasn't as good, but I think that this had more to do with the front office staff which were indifferent at best.
Please note - this hotel is not near the beach! We took a cab as we have two small children, I would say its about a 5-10 minute cab ride. To walk would take at least 30-45 minutes. Manhattan Beach itself is just gorgeous and next time we will stay closer to the beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I had to take an emergency trip out to California due to a sick relative, not exactly how I wanted to spend my Christmas, but the entire staff at the Hawthorne Suites made sure I not only had everything I needed but showed great care and concern for my aunt. Everytime I would walk through the lobby I was greeted with friendly faces and a Hello Ms____, how is your aunt doing today? It was so refreshing. The rooms are really great too. Very clean and spacious. Having the amenities of refrigerator, dishwasher etc, really helped save me money on an expensive trip. Great Job Hawthorne Suites. I will return and under much happier circumstances next time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here for a few weeks on business. On the first day, the greeting was not that spectacular. I felt like I immediately annoyed the front desk clerk (day shift) upon entry to the lobby. I did not feel welcomed with her aloof attitude. I guess we can all have our bad days. Robert (desk clerk on nights) was especially helpful and very kind. Overall, I think the front desk staff was helpful and attentive to requests.

The room I stayed in was a queen suite overlooking Sepulveda. So, the story is that when the hotel was built, they could not have window access to the rear of the hotel, for it is a residential neighborhood and that was not welcomed in the eyes of the surrounding home owners. So, that means that the hotel is built rather uniquely. The front of the hotel has windows and that is off of Sepulveda, (a very busy 4 lane road with constant traffic). So my room had all the windows facing outward and in relation to the courtyard, no windows at all. I felt it was more private. The rooms facing the rear of the hotel do not have any windows facing the rear, so all the natural light that comes in through windows, are facing the courtyard. If you want privacy, you shut the blinds. If you want natural light, open them, but you lose the privacy because other hotel patrons can walk past your room. I liked the idea of having the privacy with the windows not facing the courtyard, but the exchange is having to endure constant loud traffic noise, sirens, beeping sounds of vehicles backing up, Harley's, etc. Many times I closed the windows and put on the fan to drown out the noise pollution, as well as exhaust.

The room was exceptionally clean. The mattress was quite comfortable and in fact so much so, that after coming home, I purchased a new one because I realized I slept better on their pillow top. Having the two TV's was great, but I wasn't too keen on having cable where you have to wait for the scrolling TV guide. I have satellite at home with DVR, so I felt slightly lost and certainly confirmed how spoiled I am at the same time. The kitchen was nice. The refrigerator at first was slightly drippy when I first increased the temperature (it was leaking water in the back and landing on my food). A paper towel in place helped absorb the water and so did the eventual fixing on it's own with the fridge being at the proper temp. I brought my own utensils (my own preference) and used only one pan, which was in good shape. There was another in my room that looked like it was part of an army kit from WWI. The other pans had white burn marks on the bottom that would not scrub off. The kitchen could use a toaster. They will let you go down and use the toaster in the dining cafe which is nice on one hand, but inconvenient on the other. Toasters are cheap. All of the other appliances (stove, microwave and oven) were clean and in pretty good shape. I appreciated having the kitchen.

Wireless internet was not good. In the lobby, it was excellent. In my room? Not so much. I tested nearly every corner of my room and at times had better luck picking up the wireless internet from the bread company across the street than in my room. I suggest you bring a laptop and they can lend you a wire cable. I was out of luck because I brought my I-touch.

Location was excellent on point and not-so-much on the other. It's a stones-throw from shopping and restaurants and about 1 mile from the beach. But, like I mentioned before, it is located off a very busy road with loud traffic. The parking garage was great; it was bright, clean and there was always plenty of parking spots. No issues with crime in the garage that I knew of. I felt safe and felt my car was too.

Would I come back here? Absolutely. I had a very good experience overall. The housekeeping crew were very hard workers, It was a challenge to communicate with most of them because of the language barrier (many are Spanish-speaking), so I felt like I was playing the game charades just to get my requests fulfilled. It worked pretty well though. I recommend they have more than one washer and dryer for the entire hotel of 55 rooms, because the dryer broke and was out of order for a few days. But the staff accommodated for this by allowing me to use their industrial dryer. It was a power house that dried in about 10 minutes or so. That was a cool move on their part.

I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel had window that are facing the courtyard and the front of the hotel has the wi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HawthornSuitesMB, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I’m sorry that your first impression of the front desk associate that welcomed you was less than warm. Thank you for your kind words regarding Robert. He is excellent and always welcomes our guest’s interaction and provides them with impeccable service. Robert is a great asset to our team.
We strive to provide our guests with an exceptional stay that goes beyond expectations by offering quality furnishings and services to enhance their experience without nickel and diming. We want to make sure that all our guest rooms and public areas of the hotel are very clean and well kept.
The hotel is located in the heart of Urbantopia, and like every major city we have to deal with the outside environment. We have installed double glazed windows and added installation to keep the sound level at 56db. In the future we are going to be reaching out to our neighbors to discuss the possibility of installing windows on the west side of our property.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Simmons beds, so much so, that you decided to purchase a new mattress for your home. One of our goals is to ensure our guests have a comfortable good night’s sleep. There is nothing worse than an uncomfortable bed. In fact, our beds are the same as those used by Starwood Hotels called “Heavenly Beds.”
I am happy to inform you that one of our improvements for this year will be the installation of Direct TV HD. It’s like being at home with an interactive on screen TV guide and all the programming will be in HD with over 100 channels.
We are trying to keep our carbon footprint to the lowest level possible. We have implemented a recycling program and have installed energy saving lights and switches to minimize our impact to the environment while maintaining the comfort level for our guests. When our rooms are not in use, we turn down the power settings to reduce the consumption of power which sometimes causes condensation when the unit is first used.
With more and more devices such as Iphones, Ipads, and tablets accessing the WiFi, and due to the lower power rating of these devices, additional WiFi access points are currently being installed. The speed of our WiFi system is also not limited to provide faster browsing and downloads. The hotel has recently upgraded to FIOS to provide extremely fast service without an additional cost to our guests.
We all try to take exceptional care our guests as if they are part of our family. Sometimes unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control (equipment failure, power outages, etc.) occur. In these instances will correct the problem as soon as possible. In the interim we will make sure that our guest’s needs are met to the best of our ability. We have a great team and anytime there is a concern, please bring it to our attention and we will work on addressing the matter in a prompt fashion.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights in October 2011....I have to say, I have never stayed in any Wyndham properties but due to the fantastic reviews and location this was a good choice.

Pros...
-The price is great for the hotel/motel not sure what this type of place qualifies for. It is 3 floors that the rooms open up to a courtyard. For a long term stay on a budget, it was great.
-VERY clean which is my big thing. I have to say that the housekeeping was exceptional, even the minor details were looked at... I.E. One housekeeper actually cleaned off my hair brush for me!!
-Free Parking
-Free Breakfast & Free Evening Apps....Not good food but its free ;)
-Location you can walk to lots of places and hop on lots of freeways....but if your looking to be near the beach it is at least a 20 minute walk
-Almost every day I saw management was walking around the building doing various things which I think is nice.
-Not a party type of hotel, so, a bit of an older/family type of guests. Fine by me.

Cons-
-The front desk agent on 10/09/11 was not personable, didn't even welcome us. I always choose to pay in cash at hotels and she was VERY confused on how to proceed.
-No pool
-The rooms were not my cup of tea......They are very dark in like a modern way. I felt like it made them small.
The windows lead to a main "hallway" which everyone walks by. Unless your into people looking at you while your chilling in your room, the blinds need to be shut.
Also, the walls are thin and if neighbors are fighting or babies are crying, you will hear it.

Overall, I would give this property a fist bump with a hug.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with more than 2 people, get the double bed room. Unless your ok in smaller spa...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HawthornSuitesMB, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
On behalf of our hotel (Hawthorn Suites Manhattan Beach) I would like thank you for taking time to share your experience about your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and your visit with us. We strive to provide the best customer experience possible and pride ourselves on cleanliness. Thank you for your input regarding our hot breakfast buffet and social hour selections. We welcome your input as we continually adjust our food variety to become a well balanced selection between taste and health. Your input is extremely valuable to us and will be utilized.
Fist bump and hug back at you! :) We look forward to you staying again in the future.
Corinth, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed here September 29 for 3 nights with 2 friends. Had stayed at another Hawthorne property twice and hoped that this one would be just as enjoyable. I was not disappointed! We stayed in a 2 queen bed suite with sleeper sofa. The room was spacious with modern colors. The beds were very comfortable and we did not have any problem with outside noise. We were on the first floor and loved stepping outside to the patio area. The bathroom is spacious and the shower pressure was good enough. Only negative with the bathroom was that the vanity was outside of the bathroom, although the bathroom had room for it. I can see the positives of this though as well, just prefer to have the vanity inside bathroom. I loved the fact that you take a right out of the property, go approximately 1/2 mile, turn right onto Manhattan Beach Blvd and you are at the beach in another 1 1/2 miles. Check in/check out was simple and I loved the free, covered parking. This is about 3 miles from LAX and I have stayed at two other LAX properties right at the airport. Didn't have anything against them, but I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Los Angeles? Share your experiences!