“Moving to a new tasting room” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 38 things to do in Malibu
More attraction details
Owner description: Rosenthal - The Malibu Estate is an exclusive vineyard in Malibu, California that produces its own selection of red and white wines. The first vineyard in Malibu and the only vineyard in the Malibu-Newton Canyon AVA, the estate is still owned by its namesake, George Rosenthal, who established the winery over 20 years ago. Today, the Rosenthal brand represents a combination of product and place: • Meticulously-crafted Wines - We feature a selection of full-bodied, fruit-forward, quintessentially Californian wines with a French touch, including the signature Rosenthal reds and whites, the limited-edition, small-batch Block M and G Collection wines and the Surfrider varieties. • The Malibu Estate Vineyard - Set on 250 picturesque acres in Malibu-Newton Canyon, this 32-acre vineyard is located four miles from the ocean at 1400 feet, within a perfect microclimate for growing high-quality grapes. • The Rosenthal Tasting Room - Just off the beach in Malibu, the Tasting Room offers a casual atmosphere in which to discover and enjoy the full selection of Rosenthal wines while enjoying live entertainment and the marvelous ocean view-either indoors or on our outdoor patio.
Paramus, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Moving to a new tasting room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Delicious wine, enjoyed everyone I tasted. Servers were very knowledgable and friendly. Were told they are building a new tasting room to open soon so check the new location before you set off. Don't leave empty handed either!

Visited October 2011

Las Vegas, Nevada
18 attraction reviews
“Terrible service, atmosphere and price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

This is nothing more than a roadside shack that charges a rip off $15 for a wine tasting. We waited about 15 minutes to have someone greet us only to state they were closing in 10 minutes at 5:30 and to sample a couple of red wines was $15 per person. The wine list was terrible and very over priced. We decided to walk next door and pleasant discovered an awesome restaurant with glasses of wine for $8, lobster, pasta, steaks, and much more plus a beautiful decor and the friendliest staff including owner I have met in a long time. We liked the place so much we stayed for dinner. It is called Beaurivage Mediterranean, website is beaurivagerestaurant.com If you place the Rosenthal winery in your GPS or print a map, do so only to find this awesome restaurant and say hello to the owner Daniel.

Malibu
37 attraction reviews
“Rich, Generous Wines and Knowledgeable Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

I live in Malibu, but frequent Rosenthal--The Malibu Estate Tasting Room. I always take out-of-town guests to visit the pretty, little tasting room located on the Pacific Coast Highway adjacent Beau Rivage Restaurant. For $15, you can try all of the wines. I am a member of their Wine Club, and so my guest and I are complimentary. You can belly up to the wine tasting bar or sit outside and order from the Beau Rivage menu, which features excellent Mediterranearn cuisine--perfect for your wine. If you want to visit the winery, itself, you'll have to join the Wine Club, which hosts events for members all the time and frequently at the winery. Everyone I take to Rosenthal is impressed--and I have wine snobs with internationall palates for friends.

Santa Monica, CA
3 attraction reviews
“Fun the first time, but not a place to go back to”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

If you've never been to the tasting room, it's fun to go as a novelty experience -- there are not really too many places to go wine tasting in Los Angeles, so it's a fun afternoon to drive up the coast and check this place out.
The wine is just alright, not that great. I've never tasted anything there that I was impressed by, but that's just my taste buds.
I have not enjoyed any of my several return visits there as much as I enjoyed the first time I tasted there. The first time my boyfriend and I did a tasting there about 10 months ago, we thought it would be cool to join their wine club and have a local place to go wine tasting on the weekend. But the tasting room can get positively packed on the weekends - we were there yesterday and it was jammed full - and other times we have been there, it seems like people use it almost as a bar ... obnoxious 'big spender' types drive over from the Valley and shoot the breeze with the staff for the afternoon, pausing occasionally for loud conversations on their cell phones. It's not a very professional tasting room sometimes.
For the value and the tasting room atmosphere, I would say, check it out, bring out of town friends there! but for anything more than that, it's just not that great, and I think we'll quit the wine club before the next shipment.

Southeastern PA
13 attraction reviews
“Rosenthal Tasting Room--2nd best wine experience in Malibu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We visited the Rosenthal Estate Winery Tasting Room on a Sunday in August. Be aware that the tasting room is NOT located at the beautiful estate pictured on the website--rather it's a small-ish building located on the Pacific Coast Highway. Traffic can be very heavy, so allow extra time to get there and look closely for the "Wine Tasting" sign out front or you'll drive right by it.
The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. We paid $15 for 8 tastings and the portions were generous. We enjoyed the wines and bought a few bottles to take with us, but the whole experience was over in about 30 minutes.