“pretty mediocre all around--except for the view” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dukes Malibu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 83 Restaurants in Malibu
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Las Flores Canyon
Transit: MTA has a bus stop 100 yards down PCH
Description: DUKE'S MALIBU has brought the excitement of Hawaii, Waikiki, and surfing to the mainland USA. The spectacular oceanfront location on the Pacific Coast Highway offers over 300 feet of romantic oceanfront dining and memorabilia from both Hawaii and California surfing history. The Barefoot Bar, looking south into the lights of Santa Monica, is a great spot for drinks and casual food with friends.
Nebraska
“pretty mediocre all around--except for the view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

My husband and I ate at Duke's this week on a trip to the Santa Monica/L.A. area. After great seafood meals at the Lobster in Santa Monica and Malibu Seafood (twice--it's one of our favorites), we decided to try Duke's. Mistake.

It's pretty obvious that Duke's is riding on its reputation--that's the only reason I could see for the crowds. Granted, the setting is spectacular--I felt as though I was in a cruise ship's dining room while we were eating--the ocean is that close to the building. The food and service, however, were poor. We asked our waitress--twice--how big the lobsters were and she informed us that they were 9-10 pounds apiece. I would certainly love to see that lobster--am guessing she just didn't know what she was talking about. Our mahi-mahi was okay, but presentation and taste was below par considering the prices.

Throughout the whole dining experience, I felt like the staff could really care less about their customers. It wasn't a pleasant experience and we won't be eating there again.

Clermont, Florida
“I Love This Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

I have travelled to Southern CA 8 times in the past 15 months. Of all the restaurants I have dined at, Duke's is the only one I return to on every trip. I have never dined in the main dining area, so my review may be slightly biased. I have only dined in the bar area or outside dining area. The reason for this is the bar menu has a good selection of entrees and the prices are significantly less than the main dining area. Here is an insider tip; If you dine in the bar area or outside dining area during happy hour M-F the entrees are HALF PRICE!! I normally order the panko crusted fish or the fish tacos, both of which are excellent. But, the item that keeps me coming back time after time is the hearts of palm salad. It is absolutely to die for! I will admit the wait staff is not all that great, but when dining in the bar area you kind of expect that. Anyway, I think the food at Duke's is great. I cannot wait until next week because I am travelling to Southern California and I am going to eat at Duke's.

Detroit, MI
“good time here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We meant to eat at Geoffrey's, but we turned in and out of the driveway there because my husband was intimidated by the steep driveway. Duke's was a short distance down the highway, so we stopped there for lunch. My drink was fruity and tasty, and we ordered seafood salad and fish entrees. We had their famous macadamia nut/hot fudge/ice cream pie for dessert. The staff was courteous, although the place was doing very brisk business. Big seabirds would perch right outside our window. Everytime a herd of dolphins swam by, the diners would put their forks down, go to the windows, and exclaim happily. This is an expensive lunch, but we had a wonderful time.

Northridge,CA
“Repeat Visits a MUST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

I have read the reviews, and quite honestly can't believe these people are talking about Duke's. My husband and I discovered Duke's 18mos ago while vacationing on Maui. We had eaten at several of the sister restaurants.

One Saturday afternoon, we decided to drive over and check it out. We went into the Barefoot Bar area and had a drink and (pupus=appetizer). The drinks were great, the appetizer very tasty. The wait staff in that area was friendly and very attentive. We decided to stay for dinner, and put in our name for a table. Within 30 min. we were seated at a window seat, and had a very nice dinner and enjoyable evening. Great experience.

A few months later, a good friend was visiting from out of town, and we decided to go to Duke's. Once again, we had a great experience. Our friend was very pleased with the whole experience, and she used to live in Kona on Big Island.

We recently returned from another Maui vacation and decided we needed a fix, so we went to Duke's. A couple of friends met us there. We went on a late Saturday afternoon, put in our name for dinner, and then went into the Barefoot Bar for a drink(which are made very well) and to enjoy the whole atmosphere that they provide at Duke's, while we waited for our table. It was again only about 30min wait.

That afternoon the Barefoot Bar area was quite busy, and yet the wait staff was very attentive and friendly.

At dinner, we had a window table and thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Hawaiian music playing in the background. The waitstaff was friendly, efficient and very informative as to specials, etc. Never did we have to ask for a thing.

We ordered the prime steak, and was it very good. We each ordered it medium-rare and that is what my husband and I got. The presentation of the food was impressive. Also at our table the Coconut shrimp was ordered, as well as the Shrimp Scampi. Everyone was very pleased with what we had ordered and the quality of the food served.

No one can go to Dukes or (any of the TS restaurants) without ordering the Hula Pie. It is sooo good! So far, the Hula Grill (Maui) is the only one that doesn't offer it. Be sure to treat yourself and share.

Hopefully, people will realize that one can't always take some of the reviews too seriously, as some people are just too hard to please, or may even be "food snobs".

On all 3 of our visits in the past 18 months, we have been very pleased with our experiences, and will most definitely return again and again. We have also decided to go more often.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice restaurant, bad staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

We had Sunday Brunch at Dukes just yesterday. The food was GREAT! But the prices were a little too high. The restaurant itself was beautiful, but the staff was a little rude! I walked in the front door at 9;57, and a very rude little girl told me,"WE OPEN AT 10!" So I said sorry, and she rolled her eyes at me! I walked out the door to the front walk, and she walked over to the door 3 minutes later, and flung it open! Now, when I originally walked in, she was just talking to another girl about the night before!

VERY RUDE STAFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!