“Great food, views but indifferent service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Sunset

The Sunset
6800 Westward Beach Road, Malibu, CA 90265 (Malibu)
+1 310-589-1007
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sunset is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 85 Restaurants in Malibu
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Malibu
Cross street: PCH
Santa Clarita, California
“Great food, views but indifferent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

After being told I could have a window seat if I chose to wait in the bar for 15 minutes, we were sat in the rear. When I questioned hostess, she was indifferent as was the manager/owner. I've eaten here several times at non-peak times. The food is good, and the location is lovely. Not sure why they can't get friendlier help -- just be assertive to get what you want.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Southern California
“Nice Luncheon Restaurant Without Any Parking!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The restaurant notified us that they are now open for lunch. We made a reservation and drove to Malibu for a relaxing lunch. Their parking lot is small and no parking space available. My husband waited in the car while I went inside to inquire as to where we could park. Upon entering the restaurant, I saw that only three or four tables had people seated, all the other tables were empty. No patrons, no parking available! I asked the hostess about parking options - she gave me the "duh..there are no spots available?" look, very unhelpful. Since there was no parking available in the restaurant lot and no spaces along the beachfront street, I explained without a place to park our car, we had to cancel our lunch reservation. She looked surprized when we said we were canceling because there was no place to park!! So why this restaurant is open for lunch when they don't offer VALET and parking for their patrons during the busy summer beach crowd months is beyond me. We won't make the mistake of driving to The Sunset for lunch - it is futile. FYI - other people that were looking to dine there for lunch also left when they could not find a spot. If The Sunset wants a lunch crowd, they need to hire a VALET and find a place for patrons to leave their car. We drove to another dining restaurant overlooking the ocean. There we found: valet parking, a lovely ocean view, pleasant service and great food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Malibu, California
“Location Location Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Sunset delivers great food in a casually elegant environment. The food is fresh and made well. The wait staff is attentive but does not hover. My favorite dish is the mussels. Sunset has a terrific open air/covered lounge area. It is popular and busy, even on week nights, to go and have a cocktail and enjoy the small plates menu. I routinely take out of town business guests to Sunset. Tell them to bring flip-flops and you can have a nice walk on the beach after dinner.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Clarita, California
“Mixed review after going here numerous times...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have a "hike" tradition on the 4th of July and any reason to celebrate a birthday or two. Walk for 2 hours along the beautiful Malibu coast and then end up at The Sunset for a late lunch. Granted, it was a busy holiday, so we understood why we had to wait. We actually could have been seated immediately, but we requested a window seat (overlooks a small access road, but basically ocean view!). Our party of 4 was told it would be a 15 minute wait FOR A WINDOW TABLE. We sat in the comfy lounge/bar and ordered wine and beers. 30 minutes later (that's fine) we were guided by a sour puss hostess to a table next to the wall. Wait/what? I got up to speak to the manager about moving to a cleared window table, and got the brush off of "they are all reserved". Okay- tell us that 30 minutes ago when we could have been seated. He really could not have cared less. Maybe it was my tennis shoes or the fact I was not a local or obvious foreign tourist?

Up front service aside, the food is all right. Salads (Chinese Chicken) are delicious and limited lunch menu is normally good. Split the Vietnamese soft shell sandwich for the second time (not much to share) and have to agree with previous reviews- cold when it got to the table, and was "mushy". The need to work on their attention to guests and treat everyone equally.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Avoid crab sandwich”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed for late lunch and had an unpleasant experience. First, location right on the beach at the very southern end of Malibu is fabulous and the crowd is posh. But the food and service is so so. If you like pickeled vegetables the you might like the chicken sandwich. If you also like a soft crab taken from the mud, smashed by the car wheels to a flat hard piece and put in a sandwich then go ahead and order the soft shell crab sandwich! Horrible! Perhaps we were unlucky but we do not wanna go back!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to The Sunset? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Sunset, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.