“Could have been a lot better!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 25 Outdoor Activities in Malibu
Calgary, Canada
“Could have been a lot better!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

A friend of mine purchased a GroupOn voucher for Park Place Stable, and so off we drove into the Malibu Hills. Upon arrival we were met by a very friendly gal whom we signed waivers with and, gave us a very short "reigning" overview, and sized us up for helmets. Our group was comprised of varied riding levels...from very limited to very experienced. After horses were assigned (and I will say they were nice horses...fit, healthy, and well tempered) we mounted up in an order that resulted in the most experienced rider behind the guide, and the most inexperienced rider at the end of the line. Our guide, Marcos--I learned only having asked his name!--set off, and only very seldom checked behind him to see if riders were keeping up. For most of the ride he was so far ahead of the end of the group that the last and most inexperienced rider was completely out of his sight! As an experienced trail rider, I found this to be completely unprofessional and beyond unsafe! In addition, the guide was unfriendly, rude, and impatient with the inexperienced riders. One girl had mentioned that her stirrups were too short, and he rolled his eyes at her! Had the nice gal been at the barn upon our return I would have mentioned my disappointment in our guide to her. I did tell our guide that I thought his lack of attention to the inexperienced riders was a concern. I would not visit this barn again.

Visited July 2014

“Dead horse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

After 4 years of being boarded at a different facility, I moved both of my horses to Park Place Stables. They were evaluated by their vet prior to being moved and were both in excellent health. Joy Lazarus/Park Place Stables did not want to execute or sign a boarding contract as it is normally standard practice. After only 3 weeks one of my once very healthy horses laid barely breathing in their riding arena after "being a little under the weather" for only 4 days. According to Ms.Lazarus who claimed she was "pre-med" and didn't think it was necessary to call my horse's vet. Why was she so against having my 6 1/2yr old horse being seen by his or any vet that I would pay for (I had even called her house vet and given payment info to come out)??? Why could she not even remember my horses names when she only boards less than a handful of horses?? While my beloved dead horse was being covered with a tarp and I sat down hysterically crying in complete shock, Ms. Lazarus offered me free riding lessons and one of her trail horses as a "trade" (after I would "calm down") and the owner Mr. Corsi refused to refund my boarding and turn-out fee via email but offered a free ride to "celebrate my birthday" at the same facility where my horse died 2 weeks prior. Their behavior was and is insulting, irreversible, neglectful, unprofessional and just plain cold-hearted. It is very obvious they put paychecks before everything else including the welfare of the horses in their care.
Needless to say, I immediately moved my other horse the very next day because I feared for his health and safety.
I am left heartbroken and instead of feeding my spunky boy carrots, I can only visit his grave.

Visited April 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Hidden charges, ride not as promised”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Four of us went on a ride with our Groupon. We were charged $20 cash for "taxes" upon arrival, which we paid. At the conclusion of the ride, we were stared at (then glared at) and highly pressured to tip $20 a person to each guide -- there were two. The total extra cost to us for this "deal" would have been $180. (One of us, cowed, did pay the tip... the rest of us left in disgust, see our comments.) The ride was not executed as promised. After a cursory lesson in horsemanship we mounted up and were told to ride in a specific order, which was not acceptable to us as three of us knew how to ride (myself English and Western seats, both) and I wanted to be near my friend who was nervous about the ride. But, despite our protest, I was separated from her by three horses. In other words, safety was not so much the issue as was the guide's power over our already disgruntled group. There was a lead guide and a secondary "guide" who, not only did not speak English well, if at all, he didn't even know how to ride! Our lead guide spent half her time telling him to pull the reins, kick, et cetera, and we were expected to tip this guy. (As a side note, these particular Icelandic ponies, while cute, do not have particularly extended gaits, so any gain or loss in trail elevation resulted in many, many mincing steps...far more than most horses of comparable size. This is tough on the rider's back, among other places.) There was no view of the ocean at any time. Little or no description of anything we were seeing. We were told we'd get an interesting story, at least, at the site of some abandoned cars. We got to the cars, the novice's horse hesitated for perhaps, five seconds, and our guide said to forget it and we headed back to the stable 15 minutes early, well short of the hour's ride time. We would have let this pass, if not for the horrific attitude of the lead guide expecting her tip (at least the other guide was suitably sheepish about holding out his hand). We have ridden many places, many states...the lack of common courtesy and professionalism (a "guide" who can't ride?) was appalling and, need we say it, unsafe. There are many other wonderful places to ride in the LA area.

Visited July 2013
Redondo Beach, California
16 attraction reviews
“Too much hassle, meticulous trail leader”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I purchased a Groupon coupon for a trail ride for two. I called them by phone and stated that I had the coupon. The woman on the phone said that I should hang-up the phone and send them an e-mail stating that I have a coupon. I did so and received an email asking for all of our personal information including age, height, weight, health insurance provider and policy number, and a scanned copy of our Groupon coupon. The email concluded with "Remember if you like your ride, please tip your guide."

I replied with all of the requested information and received an email from Robert stating "We have noticed the weight and height of your friend and are concerned that it may not be accurate, as we have a strict weight policy." He asked me to confirm the weight of my friend, which I had just sent him that same day, which I confirmed once again.

Two days later I received an email with a date and time for the ride. It included the following information and requests:

Please read this e-mail in full and confirm by sending back to acknowledge you understand the following:

"PLEASE TYPE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE ON YOUR REPLY E-MAIL.

I, (PLACE YOUR FULL NAME HERE) UNDERSTAND, AGREE TO ABIDE BY THE RULES AND UNDERSTAND THE CHARGES EXPLAINED IN THIS E-MAIL REGARDING MY RIDE AT PARK PLACE STABLE. I UNDERSTAND I MUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS PROVIDED ON THE WEBSITE AND NOT USE MY GPS TO ARRIVE FOR MY RIDE.

I, AGREE THAT IF I DO NOT SHOW UP AT LEAST 30 MIN PRIOR TO MY ARRIVAL TIME THAT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RIDE AND THAT THERE IS NO RESCHEDULING OF THE RIDE.

PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL UPON RECEIPT.

Please note that we are CASH only, $11.70 for your party for tax and does not include gratuity for your guide. So you know gratuity is based on the originally price and most people have been giving $20/person, must be paid in CASH. Close or exact change for tax is greatly appreciated!
Your ride is not confirmed until we have received this e-mail back!"

So I replied to the email, with my name inserted, and received no response. I showed up early the day of the scheduled ride and didn't see our name on the schedule. I couldn't tell for certain, but the two ladies there seemed flustered by our presence.

We road through a canyon behind the stable. It wasn't a very scenic or a long trail but had a lot of undulation that required our horses to traverse steep hills up and down.

The lady in the lead was extremely meticulous throughout the ride and fairly annoying with her constant commands. "Your horse is going too slow and you're going to hold up the ride. Kick him to go faster. Kick him hard!" "Keep your horse away from the edge of the cliff." "Tighten up on the reigns, you're way too loose. Tighten up! Tighten up!" She barked orders to every rider at one time or another. It made the one hour ride very stressful. By the end, none of us four riders enjoyed our ride.

The lead rider stated that we should take care of tips at the end of our ride. I really didn't want to give any tip, but didn't want any harassment as we departed either, so I gave $20 and left. We will not be back and do not recommend this stable at all.

Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Place to Ride in the Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family and I were on vacation in Southern California this week. We called almost everywhere from the Stables that ride on the beaches of Santa Barbara to as far as Long Beach and could not get any availability. We finally found this stable Park Place Stables in Malibu on a google search. So, we gave them a call and believe it or not, we were able to ride that day! We were advised that the directions were not able to be placed into our GPS Equipment. We did it anyways and had we not written down the ones the representative lady told us to write down, we would have wasted precious time. I guess you have to drive a ways to get that type of an experience, so it was a bit far from our hotel but then again our hotel was a bit far from the stables. We did go in the middle of the day 1:00 p.m. and were with another group of 2 people a nice couple from Austria. They did not know how to ride at all. I can't imagine not having any experience and going on a trail ride but this was so calm and peaceful by the first few minutes into the ride it looked as though this couple had been riding for at least a couple of years. Our guide was a very nice attractive woman who had a great deal of knowledge about horses and provided friendly conversation but knew when to just let us ride and talk among ourselves. I would stress that maybe you ride earlier in the day due to the high elevation and strong sun. Views and trails are safe, horses are quiet and all the tack seemed to be in order. (My family had horses growing up) so I have some knowledge and i always check the details when we ride.

My family and I especially my daughter Andrea (13 yrs) want to ride there again, so we plan on returning but will schedule a ride earlier in the day. We also went in the summer just a couple of days ago so I'll bet its cooler in the fall, etc.

We did pay for our ride and did not use a voucher. We still rode with others but it was friendly and accommodating. I hope to get back there soon...

Robert D. and Family