“A PERFECT GETAWAY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Malibu
Los Angeles, California
“A PERFECT GETAWAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was here in Sept 2012 as Trip Advisor advised me, but since I just spent 4 days over the memorial day weekend there, I thought it deserved another look.

Everything I wrote previously still applies.The Inn is still magical and the rooms divine as long as you do not mind not having a bath tub. We had a corner king again, but truthfully, unless you feel you need the side breeze as well as the front breeze, there is no reason to get it. It costs more and the room is the same size as the Queen oceanfronts. They just crammed a kingsize bed into this corner,and one side of the bed does not even have an end table. The room is very lovely though as are the amenities.

We ate dinner, both in the restaurant and in our room while we were there, and also had a brunch. Everything was delicious. See my review of the Malibu Beach Club Restaurant for details. I was especially pleased with the room service. It only took 20 minutes each time we ordered. Very fast !! And the order was always correct!!

The one jarring note this time for me was the reception staff. They all seems harried and unfriendly. Since there are only 43 rooms, I did not understand it. It is mostly staffed by women and none of them were warm and welcoming. This should be a must for an inn that charges the prices this place does. Of course, Memorial Day was even more expensive than normal. The phone was not answered using my name or how can I help you, just their name. Not good. I made certain requests as I was entertaining guests and there was no smile, no eagerness to please. Everything was met with a grudging robotic acceptance, no more.

I had requested a 3rd floor king corner and was given a 2nd floor one -there are only two - with the explanation that the people in the 3rd floor room had been there and were not leaving. There was no, "I am so sorry about this. Let me give you a lovely cheese platter or whatever...."Since I made my reservation in January, I thought it odd they would give the 3rd floor room to someone at the time I was going to be there. Those people could have been told they would have to move on the date of my arrival, or been given the 2nd floor originally. As a repeat guest it would have been nice to be treated with more consideration and certainly with more concern for my happiness and comfort. It would have taken very little to be kind and sorry. But it was not to be.

I know that everyone has a bad day, but for 4 days and 4 different women??? Geez. Snooty is the word I would use. And it wasn't just me. I watched while another woman approached the front desk about some surprise she wanted to leave in a room and she was met with the same stone faces that I was. Is this a requirement for working there? It was so strange.

I stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and have never been met with this kind of uncaring and
disinterest. All the other staff, be it maids, valets, waiters, greeters were very warm and fun. It was just the front desk women who looked and acted like they did not want to be there, and that they were doing you a favor to even listen to you.

Do not let this detract you from staying there as it is magical property. The only hotel on the water in Malibu and much of the coast. My other favorite is The Surf and Sand in Laguna where they are super friendly and can"t do enough for me when I am there. Makes one want to go back. Ya know!

Just note this one oddity, and perhaps it will have all been changed by the time you get there!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront queen - side nearest the Malibu Pier for best view and away from noise of patio dining...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, and we appreciate you sharing the areas that you felt could be improved. We will investigate the challenges you experienced and ensure we rectify the issues in a timely manner. Please know that we consider our guests' feedback very seriously, and we will utilize your comments to improve in the areas that we can. We do hope that we'll have the opportunity to ensure you have a much better experience in the future. - The Malibu Beach Inn Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed at the Malibu Beach Inn 5+ times in my life. I have to say every time I stay there I am extraordinarily happy.

Let's start with the location. The hotel is built on stilts on the ocean. You get a great sea breeze and the sounds of crashing waves if you leave your patio open. If you shut your patio you don't hear the ocean so you can pick. Also there is a park over to the right (when looking at the hotel from the street) where you can go for a run, go surfing or do a short nature hike into that is on the beach. Plus the pier is great for a relaxing stroll.

Second, when you show up there is typically a water station, free freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, and also salt water taffy for you to snack on while they check you in. The front desk is very responsive and honestly tries to put you in the best room possible.

Third, every room is awesome that I've ever stayed in. Each room has a private balcony, a fire place, a large comfy bed, a barefoot dreams blanket, The bathrooms are clean and well appointed with great products. Typically Molton Brown products. The coffee machine is a K-cup brand machine, its not nespresso but does the trick.

Fourth, the restaurant is literally a balcony over looking the water with waves crashing. I am usually there for business but who cares its amazing, has heat lamps to keep you warm, and the food is really high quality. I've never had a bad meal there.

Lastly, when you wake up they have free fresh brewed coffee and usually a muffin or banana bread to select from. I also suggest calling them up to book often they will match online booking engine prices even if a deal is sold out.

I do a fair bit of business in LA proper and I drive the extra 30 mins everytime I can to stay at the Malibu beach Inn. I've stayed there with my girlfriend in the past as well and honestly, it is one of her favorite hotels and we stay at luxury hotels when we travel.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good, try to get a front facing room rather than a partial view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thanks so much for making Malibu Beach Inn your home away from home! We truly appreciate your kind and generous feedback. We're so grateful for your continued support and we're very happy to hear that you've had many enjoyable visits and made some lasting memories over the years. It is always a pleasure to serve you, and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to LA! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed here for one night with our 1.5 year old boy. This is the first stop of our Pacific Coast Highway road trip. The beach is beautiful. We stayed in an oceanfront suite which is worth the splurge. The view is amazing. The space is great for a family to spread out. The decor is thoughtful and comfortable. We had a late lunch and a breakfast at the restaurant and enjoyed both. We will definitely stay here again if we are in the vicinity.

Room Tip: Ocean front suite if possible
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here, and we hope you have a safe and memorable trip up the coast... the drive is a beautiful one! We look forward to welcoming you back for many happy returns! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
Queen Creek, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Had a beautiful room overlooking the ocean with a large bathroom, fireplace and balcony. I enjoyed an afternoon walk down the beach to Malibu Pier and made good use of the hotels complimentary towels. Took my evening meal and numerous cocktails on the restaurant balcony/patio, watching the sun set and the waves crash over the rocks beneath me. Turn down service in the room was impressive, the fire was roaring, robes and boxes of chocolates had been laid on the beds and the lighting had been dimmed. Malibu Beach Inn, you romantic devil!

Room Tip: Room Tip: Start saving for your next visit on the day you leave.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing a romantic getaway with us! We're pleased to hear that you had an opportunity to spend some time on the beach and delight in dinner and drinks at Carbon Beach Club. We know that distance makes the heart grow fonder, but we hope you'll be back soon! - The Malibu Beach Inn
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have stayed here several time for a "retreat" or really as a "treat", and have always felt welcome. The rooms are beautiful, bed is so comfy that you will get a wonderful night's sleep and the sound of the ocean at night is so calming. The staff is very friendly and they remember to call you by name. They will help with any travel or sightseeing plans. The breakfast on the patio is a must......overlooking the ocean first thing in the morning is a great way to start the day, followed by a walk along the beach...it is very easy access. The pier is making a comeback and is only a short walk away. Many things are within walking distance, but retreiving the car is very easy...just call ahead and it is ready to leave. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel....

Room Tip: Ocean views are spectacular, but if you plan to leave the patio door open, you will probably hear th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review of Malibu Beach Inn! We're so happy that you enjoy staying with us when you're in Malibu, and we're so grateful for your continued support. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for another reTREAT soon! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Arrived early and my room was ready, check in was quick and bags delivered promptly. My room was HUGE with a king size bed and separate lounge area, a cosy fireplace and large balcony with the most amazing views of Malibu pier and beach. It's the little extras that really make this hotel special. My room had an i-pad and free wii fi. The lobby/reception area free cookies, water and coffee and also bowls of fruit which are also available on each floor. The evening turndown including chocolates, 2 bottles of water and the staff will even setup your coffee machine for you and make you a coffee while you sit in bed! I also received a free voucher for tea/coffee to use in the morning and was happy to see a copy of The Australian on the mat. I slept like a baby every night snuggled up in the most amazing bed listening to the sound of waves. With everything on your doorstep you can walk to the pier cafe for breakfast, Malibu country mart is a 10-15 minute walk and you must try Nobu for lunch/dinner. The staff at the hotel were amazing, very friendly and made my stay unforgettable. A couple of days here you will leave refreshed and relaxed. Trust me, you will not want to leave.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you so much for such a lovely review! We’re so grateful that you had an opportunity to enjoy everything that we have to offer, and we're delighted to hear just how much you enjoyed your time. It always makes our day to read such a wonderful review as yours! We look forward to welcoming you back for your next oceanfront vacation! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were looking to celebrate our first year anniversary which was a Monday and what a great get away we had this beautiful boutique hotel with world class amenities and not too far from the city but eons away from the stress. Staff is amazing, food is perfect, check in and out a breeze, we haven't used the spa but it looked just beautiful to be able to get aaa sage with ocean crashing waves few feet away and this was amazing feeling to celebrate our union with peace and beauty enveloping us. Highly recommend and we will keep coming back.

• Stayed May 2014
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you so much for celebrating your anniversary with us! We're so happy to hear that you had a peaceful, enjoyable time. We'd love to welcome you back any time you're in need of another relaxing getaway! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team

Been to Malibu Beach Inn? Share your experiences!