“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Madera
Napa
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here one night for a business trip. The hotel is very well maintained, and the front desk staff helpful. My only complain was we faced the street. It was a bit noisy, but still not to bad. Finding a restaurant using tripadvisor does not work so well. There are so few restaurants with reviews that things are warped. Think subway is the # 9 and Taco Bell the #10 restaurant in Madera.

Room Tip: Get a romm away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
H0lidayInnExpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Mark672,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy to hear that the front desk staff were helpful I will definetly pass this on to the team. I do apologize for any inconvenience you had with your room facing the street. Usually our property does not get any traffic noise. I do agree that tripadvisor does not work as far as restaraunts are concerned.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Hotwire rated this hotel as a 3 star, it is not! Booked this hotel for 4 people through hotwire express rate. Hotwire made a booking for a king bed room. When called, stated that is what they do to get a good rate. A king bed for 4 people? Had to ask for a manager to change the room. The room had only sheer curtains, no drapes to block the light shining right into the window. The guy who was sent to check on the curtains just laughed at us. Will not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Alibri1,
I would like to take this time to personally apologize to you for the experience you had with the third party booking as well as with our hotel. We do take this review very serious and have already educated all our employees on the drapes. The room is equipped with the sheers and blackouts they were just pulled completely back and were not visiable . It is our company standard to have these in every room. I apologize if our front desk agent did not provide a professional demeanor when examing your issue. I hope you would give our hotel another chance I would personally make sure you had a suite and a great nights sleep. Please email me if you are in our area guerrasusie@gmail.com or call the hotel and ask for me.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very nice hotel, I stay at this hotel chain as often as I can and I'm never disappointed. The staff personalities vary but it's expected, we don't live in a perfect world. My main concern is always a clean comfortable bed and clean bathroom, and safety, of course. The one thing that would be appreciated is outlet access at the nightstand table. I've come in very late at times with low batteries on my iPad and cell phone would like to use them while in bed. This would be a big plus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate your review of your stay here with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Madera. It is nice to hear that you had a clean comfortable bed and clean bathroom and you felt safe here. We absoulety loved your feedback on the lack of outlets and we most definetly will be making some changes. We look forward to your return to our property.
Talmage, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express was the first hotel on our 6 day trip from Ukiah, Ca to Killeen, Tx and was a bad start to our trip. Parking was terrible. Not nearly enough spaces for the number of rooms. The room was not clean, especially the bathroom. The floor and tub area had not been cleaned thoroughly for a long time. Everything in the room was dust and smelly. But the worse was the smoking. As you enter the hotel lobby you pass by a bench right withing 5-6 feet of the doors and was where all the smokers sat. You had to pass through a fog of tobacco smoke to enter the lobby. One of my children has asthma and was certainly irritated, as was the rest of us, by having to breath second hand smoke. Would not stay here again. Also was over priced for condition of hotel. Stay clear unless you are a smoker.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I must say I am so very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We have taken you review very serious and we most defiently will be making some changes on our outside bench area to make sure we keep any one from smoking in reach of any guest that may be walking into the hotel. Please contact me via email if your coming back to hotel to ensure a terrific stay guerrasusie@gmail.com.
Once again I thank you for your feedback this is how we know what we need to improve on. Thank you.
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We checked in on a Sunday night. We had checked out from the Madera Valley Inn (now a Quality Inn) due to the train noise and booked our room here. Check-in was fast and the front desk lady was friendly and professional. We stayed in a King room on the 2nd floor. It was spacious and clean, with a refrigerator, microwave, comfy bed (minus the crinkly mattress pad), lots of TV channels, and the AC worked perfectly. All very modern – definitely an improvement from the Quality Inn.

However, the service on Monday morning left much to be desired. The complimentary breakfast buffet was not kept up. The breakfast staff was MIA because apparently they only had one employee manning both the breakfast area and the front desk (and wasn’t doing a good job at either one.)

Around 7:15 AM I was at the front desk needing to get change and no one was at the front desk. Another guest came up to the front desk because there was no skim milk in the breakfast area and no employee in the breakfast area. (He was a little grumpy about that.) There is a phone to the left of the front desk that you can use to ring the front desk phone. The grumpy guest picked it up and the front desk phone rang for a few minutes before the front desk guy picked up. After hanging up the phone the grumpy guest said, “It sounds like I woke someone up!” Not only was the front desk guy MIA, but apparently he was sleeping? Hmm...

About 5 minutes later, I had to return to the desk because I lost the room key. The front desk guy is MIA…again...He made a room key, but it didn’t work. I had to return to the front desk again and told him it was flashing red. He asked me if I knew how to use a keycard. I told him that I worked for a hotel myself in the past – and yes – I do know how to swipe a keycard. I also know what it means when it flashes red and the handle doesn't turn.

Service issues aside, we did like our room. The property is within walking distance to Starbucks and Subway. We stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in Modesto, which is a nice property as well, but much better than the Madera HIE because the staff is visible and amazing. The Madera HIE could take a few pointers from them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Eireann85,
I would like to Thank You for leaving your review of you hotel stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your spacious room and all the in room features especially your A/C I know that is very important this time of year.
I would also like to extend my deepest apologies for my front desk agent not being avaiable to the you at all times. It can get very overwhelming maintaining the breakfast bar and checking guest out. This is not how we like to do things but nevertheless it happens on occasion. We will defiently be making so changes on that and improving ourselves in this area. I would love an opportunity to make your next stay a wonderful one so please contact me via email if you plan to be back in the area guerrasusie@gmail.com.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Me and mine girlfriend stayed here for one night, beds were clean confortable.the room was big; I love the lazy couch and the fact they had a small freezer,and microwave,staff was friendly and helpful. Most of all their breakfast is great.

• Stayed September 2012
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review about out property. I am delighted that you thought the breakfast was great. I do agree there are plenty of choices plus our signature cinammon rolls that are made just for guest of the Holiday Inn Express. I am happy to hear your room was clean and comfortable I will be commending our housekeeping staff as well for there awesome work. We look forward to your return should you ever be in the area again.
Monterey California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a very average holiday inn that is already feeling dated from the lobby to the rooms . My room had some minor issues of wear and maintence but overall was just not as nice as the rooms I have booked recently at the Hampton Inn down the road.

I also had an issue with my room that the front desk gal could not resolve. I had booked a suite but was given a regular room. When I asked the front desk gal if she could refund the difference she said I had to call tripadvisor because that is who I booked the room with. I then brought her back my booking that was made on the holiday inn express website and she was baffled as to what to do. She then said there were no suites left for the night but she would give my booking information to the manager in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with your stay that could not be resolved due to the hotel being full. I do believe that I spoke with you and we have noted your profile for your next stay you will be upgraded to our beautiful spacious double suite. I know you will not be disappointed. I look forward to return and making your stay absolutly Wonderful.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Madera? Share your experiences!