“Very nice hotel, better than Marriott in some ways” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Madera
Alexandria, Virginia
“Very nice hotel, better than Marriott in some ways”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here as well as the Marriott (Spring Hill Suites) in Madera. Both have their pluses and minuses.

The hotel itself is very nice. Clean. Modern. Good shampoos, Very good shower. Good AC. Just your basic Holiday Inn Express. I booked it on Hotwire for $77 for a night. I would stay here again.

Pluses are: it is very quiet (MUCH more quiet than the Marriott), it is in a great part of town (walkable to home depot, lowes, office depot, marshalls, tj maxx, walmart, gamestop, taco bell, quiznos, everything...), easy entrance to the highway, gas station across the street.

Minuses are: the beds are not as good as the Marriott's, the rooms, and hotel as a whole, feel a bit darker and less comfortable than the Marriott's (the Marriott is like something you would expect to find in a San Francisco boutique hotel or so), the pool is pretty eh (then again the pool at the Marriott is no better), no complementary coffee all day (Marriott has this)

This review (and my review of the Marriott) was intended to provide a good comparison of two 3* hotels in Madera, should you be searching for hotels in the immediate area and see these two show up in a list. If I came back to Madera again, I would choose the Holiday Inn, just because of the location.

Room Tip: Use hotwire. 3* hotel in Madera on hotwire is most likely this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to say Thank You for the great and very informative review on our property and location.
I am happy that you enjoyed all our amenties we have to offer. I also agree that our location is the best with plenty to do within walking distance.
I also loved hearing the minuses as well, I will definetly take this back to our staff meeting and change some things up.
I look forward to your return to our property.

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a longer journey. The welcome was excellent and the room was very good - found the pillows to be great even though I'm usually a bit fussy and slept like a log. It was nice to have a room which had a fridge and a microwave too - we usually take fresh milk with us.
The receptionist was able to recommend local restaurants although in the end we found a different one. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and it really was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave us a review of you current stay with us. We appreciate your excellent feedback. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the room and you got a wonderful nights rest. Yes all our rooms do come with refrigerator and microwave it makes it very convenient to our travelers as yourself even if it is just for a night it does make all the difference. It was our pleasure to serve you and hope to see you again.
Monrovia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived just before the official check-in time on Thanksgiving Day. Although we had requested rooms on the ground floor when we made the online reservations (through the Auto Club, not Holiday Inn), that information was not transferred over to the hotel. We had not been booked in a room on the ground floor, and none was available. The manager on duty, Janie, was extremely accommodating of our needs, and rearranged other room assignments so that we could have rooms on the ground floor. (A member of my group is afraid of heights, and can't stay above the ground level.) She even asked the housekeeper to go back and verify that our two rooms had been cleaned (they had been). She asked us to let her know if we needed anything else during our stay. We were very pleased (and impressed) with this great service -- from someone who had to work on a holiday, besides.

Although we always stay at this hotel when we are visiting family, we will certainly make it a point to do so in the future because of this service. There is also a great breakfast -- much more than the typical continental breakfast other hotels offer -- and a coffee shop across the street.

Room Tip: If you make special requests in your reservation, and don't book through the hotel or its loyalt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review about your stay. I am very pleased to hear that we took care of all your needs and I do apologize for confusion when booking from a third party.
We have an excellent team here that really do care about all our guest needs. It is the drive and motivation of each one of our front desk agents to meet that 100% satisfaction. I welcome you back again if you are in the area. Thank you for your business.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The room was pretty and clean, but the bed was a little too firm for my tastes and the pillows were just lumpy and uncomfortable. We had a room with an adjoining door and could hear the people next door pretty clearly even though they were talking in normal tones. I recommend asking for a room without an adjoining door.

The breakfast in the morning was ok but kind of cold by when we went down at about 8:30am and there was a homeless guy making himself at home eating the food and watching tv in the dining area and the staff said nothing to him which was disconcerting. I worry that if they're ok with someone coming in off the street and eating breakfast there, who do they let just wander around the premises in the middle of the night while you're sleeping?

There is really nothing close by to this hotel, especially to eat. The 'Farnesis' restaurant that they recommend across the street is a complete dive. We walked in and straight back out again. Other than that there is just fast food close by. We drove a bit and went to 'Cool Hand Luke's' which is a steakhouse that is good but a bit pricey and hard to find.

I'd stay here again if there weren't other options, but there are others and I'd try something else next time before staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Kamille, we would like to thank you for your feedback about your stay this is how we know what areas we need to improve and work on. Yes I do know how inconvenient an adjoining door can be at the same time very convenient for families that need to travel with their kids and may need that door for their comfort however I have defiantly created a side note on your profile so this may never happen again. I would like to send my deepest apologies for all your concerns since they were never brought to the front desk about our the guest in the breakfast bar he is a long term stay guest with 3 rooms and although we do not discriminate against anybody for the way the dress or anything of the sort. I must reassure you that he is a harmless and a paying guest. We do enforce our brand standards that our hotel breakfast is for paying guest only. Being in the hotel industry we have a front desk agent 24 hours a day so our hotel is aware of anybody trying to get past the lobby not matter what time it is.
Please feel free to contact me for any other concerns you have and thank you for your review. I invite you back to our property if you are ever in the area so you may have a excellent stay as so many of our guest do.
las vegas, nv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

There are not a lot of hotels in this area, but Fresno is horrid, so it's nicer to stay in Madera if your passing through.

This average hotel was clean, friendly and accomodating (we arrived late and they were very helpful with food options and helping with bags.)

We got just what we had paid for and something more, a pancake making machine; push a button, get a cake... what a riot. Fair warning, eat them quickly, we took one back to the room for our son and he played frisby with it...took it with us in the car and hours later it still had not broke and we were tossing it around again...not sure what that stuff is made of???

Over all the hotel looks exactly like the posted pictures and it was a decent stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing our property to stay, with many choices here in Madera. I am happy we were able to provide you with friendly and accommodating customer service. We hope to see you again if you are ever in our area. Our pancake machine is a hit it is a new addition we received to our breakfast bar, I am glad they were a hit for your family as well. Once again thank you for letting us serve you.
whittier
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I travel at least once a month to the Madera Holiday Inn Express due to business. It's right next to the freeway and has access to a number of restaurants and and city attractions. However, it the staff that makes me come back, and the upkeep of the hotel. It is like coming home every night I stay there. They remember your name, they smile and will assist you in anyway possible.
It's got a great breakfast, and the exercise room is on target. It has a laundry and pool and a hot
spa. Comes inhandy on those long days at the computer and the road. So if you are in the Madera area, don't pass up on the home style treatment you get at this hotel...I travel 14 days out of each month, so I appreciate it when I can say; its like coming home!
ps. I would have given them excellent, however there is always room for improvement!!!

Room Tip: I like the bottom floor, the ones in the back are closer to the side door for easy access.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Susie G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madera, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Patricia M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a wonderful review of your stay here at our property. I can’t tell you how much our staff really looks after each guest and truly makes them feel like this is their second home especially guest like you that are here every week or every month. And I do agree that our location is the best because of the easy freeway access and restaurants especially Starbuck’s directly across the street.
Yes! There is always room for improvement that is our goal here at the Holiday Inn Express. We appreciate you and look forward to seeing you next month.
Thank you so much!
Hayden Lake, ID
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Checked in w/o a reservation. The desk clerk was friendly and efficient.

The room was clean and quiet and everything worked as it should.

The only complaint I had with the entire stay was that the toilets are the smallest toilets I have ever seen. They were made in Viet Nam and were suitable for the average 13 yr. old. Not a good place to try and save money when outfitting the rooms. I am 6-5 and 235.

There was really nothing above average about this place. Next time I will stay in one of the several newer H-I Expresses in towns within 20-30 miles north or south of here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Madera? Share your experiences!