“Excellent as always” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Calgary, AB
“Excellent as always”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We were here for a company Christmas party, for the sixth year in a row. The hotel and service were fantastic as always. Definitely reccomend the Signature Club rooms as well as the Seasons Steakhouse.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
DLKEA_11, Executive Assistant at Delta Lodge at Kananaskis, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed your company Christmas party with us, for the 6th year in a row!

Both Signature Club and Season's Steakhouse are favourites for many of our guests and we always appreciate hearing when we "get it right" as we are always striving to make our guests' experience with us both enjoyable and memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis for Year 7!

Kind Regards,

Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was a last minute decision in November 2011, to go spend Christmas at the Kananaskis Lodge. We took our 2 young daughters, 4 and 1 there for a 4 day/3 night stay. Let me break down out stay into the different categories :

1. Room : we got a Loft suite in the Mount Kidd Manor. It was roomy and well appointed, but we really would have been better off in a family suite with a seperate bedroom, so my husband can I could stay up later without having to whisper the whole time. The pull out sofa we slept on in the lilving room was not the most comfortable of beds, but pull outs pretty much never are. All in all, the room was nice, clean, and it was just as advertised. That being said, we just booked a stay for this coming Christmas, and got as family suite in the main lodge, and had already decided that we would not go if we couldn't get a family suite.

2. Food : We had 3 meals included with the package. All three were a buffet format. It was really good food, freshly prepared and a good variety each time. I've only had better buffet food at Fairmont properties, so I'd say it was above average food. There were carved meat stations, many warm and cold salads and side dishes. There was always a kids buffet, with pizza, fries, pasta and other kid friendly food. Many desserts to chose from as well. Each meal was accompanied by some sort of live music, which is nice. We ate most of our other meals at the "Fireweed Grill". Buffet style, it was good, but not spectacular food. I would try the other restaurants this time around.

3. Entertainment: There was a variety of family oriented activities. We participated in a few, including gingerbread house decorating, family movie night, and charoling, visits with the reindeer too! . For any activities that require you to live up to get supplies (first come first serve), I suggest you lline up at least 30 minutes before the start of the activity to ensure you get supplies. The activities are VERY popular, and I saw people lining up 20 minutes ahead of time and not get any supplies to participate. Same for movie night, they provide popcorn, but you have to be there early if you want some! The were plenty of activities to chose from every day, we sometimes couldn't make up our minds as to what we wanted to chose. You can tobbogan and skate, and there were many charolling opportunities, which were great. For the adults, the Manager's welcome cocktail party was TERRIFIC! Tons of drinks to chose from, all included in the price of your package, specialty coffees, cocktails, wine, beer...and desserts and appetizer type food. Live music too! This is not to be missed, and go early, to take full advantage! The main lodge lobby was also a nice place to hang out, have a glass of wine by the fireplace, the charollers were often in that spot, and it was a nice place to sit, let the kids colors/play, while the adults mingled.

4. Resort amenities and other bonuses : The pool/hottub were fun for the kids and adults too. It was never very busy, which is nice. We didn't have the chance to try out the spa, but have some treatments booked for our upcoming stay. The resort really has the main lodge as the central hub of activities, try to book in the main lodge if the rooms suit your needs. All areas and buildings outdoors were well maintained, and pretty 'up to date' , with a few imrprovements required here and there, but nothing major. The resort staff go the 'extra mile' to make your stay memorable, some of which are so sweet, I will not ruin the surprise for you.

All in all, a phenomenal stay for our family. Our kids did not want to leave, neither did we! We booked a 5 day/4 night stay this year!

Room Tip: Main lodge suite for family Christmas package, but other buildings if you want more peace and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
DLKEA_11, Executive Assistant at Delta Lodge at Kananaskis, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a great review! Thank you very much for taking the time to tell everyone on TripAdvisor about your Christmas adventure with us last year.

We are thrilled that you've chosen to return again this year and will do our best to ensure you have another "fantastic family Christmas"! As in years past, we have so many different things to offer our guests like daily Christmas themed crafts (which includes creating a "family gingerbread house" activity), carolers, live reindeer, skating parties, a family "Olympics", and so on. There usually isn't time to participate in everything!

We look forward to your arrival and want to thank you, once again, for providing your feedback.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Delta Lodge is a very nice hotel. It, of course benefits from being in the mountains and you get breathtaking scenery out your window. The rooms were nice (I had a loft), clean and well maintained. The cleaning staff were efficient.

There is a pool, steam room and gym that you can utilize while you stay there, and a nice restaurant and pub (actually two pubs if you walk to the ajoining building).

I found the staff very helpful and willing to assist me with some business matters I was attending to at a conference. They even made some phone calls and followed up on a delivery I was waiting for.

My only wish was that they would put wireless interent in the rooms. You can get wireless, but you have to go down to the main lobby area or conference area. It is also a large horseshoe type design, so if you were travelling with someone that may had difficulty walking or with mobility, you may want or request a room located toward the front desk area. It can take a few minutes to walk to your room from the conference side.

Overall, however, I would recommend this facility to friends and business associates for conferences and meetings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DLKEA_11, Executive Assistant at Delta Lodge at Kananaskis, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for providing a review of your recent stay at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis.

We are very happy that you enjoyed visiting us and you will be pleased to know that we just installed WiFi into our guest rooms in the Signature Club building; the Lodge and Mount Kidd Manor will follow in the next couple of months.

We appreciate your recommendation to both friends and business associates and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

For being rated as a 4 star hotel, it sure didn't have the amenities that I thought it would. Staff wasn't that helpful. The room wasn't anything spectacular and there was no wireless internet access which made it difficult to do work in the evening.
Apparently there was supposed to be a pool but we could not find it.
The attached restaurants were way over priced but that's what you get when this is the only hotel in the area.
On the up side, the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis; we appreciate your feedback and use it to constantly "tweek" our offerings and services.

It was disappointing that you found our service to be less than helpful as we are generally better known for our exceptional service and continually strive to excel in this area. Please accept our apologies as we obviously missed the mark during your stay with us.

It was surprising that you were unable to find the pool as directional signs or any staff member should have been able to direct you or escort you there. For future reference, the pool, along with the indoor / outdoor hot tub and fitness centre, is located on the lower level of the main Lodge and can be accessed across from the Front Lobby stairs or elevator. The indoor / outdoor pool is a favorite guest spot!

I also wanted to mention that we have now installed WiFi into the guest rooms of our Signature Club building and the other two buildings, the Lodge and Mount Kidd Manor, will follow suit in early 2013. In addition, all of our guest rooms will be renovated over the next couple of years and we are very excited to see the final product (and hope our guests will too!).

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a real Delta experience at some point in the future and, once again, appreciate your feedback.

Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

A winter wonderland with the beautiful snow greeted us. Our king room was well appointed in the Signature Club building. Thick towels, the use of bathrobes, comforable bed, and nice linens were appreciated. Housekeeping delivered us each a waterbottle and chocolate early evening. There was a long round narrow cushion leaning against the wall and what appeared to be a small decorative cover for the end of the bed folded and placed on the nightstand. It was also odd that only one side of the bed had a chocolate and waterbottle beside it on arrival when there are two guests in the room. One lamp was not in working order. Signs directed us to the Signature Building, however on arrival there was no one to check us in; we had to drive back to the Lodge; no mention of this was on our reservation confirmation.

The Club lounge always had hot beverages and apples; it was a wonderful place to relax (until people came out of meeting rooms for group discussions). The breakfast was excellent; bagels, pasteries, cereal, yogart, juice, hardboiled eggs, cold cuts, and cheese. The evening appetizers were so so; hot appetizers were lukewarm and dry; unsupervised children were double dipping directly from the dip bowl.

The restaurant in the Club building was not open our first night. To get to the Lodge, you can walk outside, which required a coat, or go through the underground parking lots. Grappa had wonderful food; however it was extremely loud, maybe due to a large group at a table across the room. My complaints about the restaurants would be the duplicated items on the menu at all the restaurants and the lack of smaller healthy meals. Our lunch at The Fireside Grill was so big that we had no desire to try the steakhouse. We ended up sharing a meal at the Bighorn Lounge as Obsessions was not open mid evening.

I've rated the Club building average, because for the cost, the little things to make it special just weren't there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DLKEA_11, Executive Assistant at Delta Lodge at Kananaskis, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis.

We appreciated reading your candid remarks and were pleased that you enjoyed staying with us. We are sorry that your check in at the Main Lodge was not indicated on your reservation and will speak to our Reservation Team to see how we can change that for our Signature Club guests. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience it caused you.

We would like to thank you, once again, for your feedback and hope to welcome you back to the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis.

Smoky Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice, both times to attend the Economic Developers of Alberta annual conference in April. The hotel is very clean with friendly staff, large, welcoming rooms and wonderful views from every side. I tried several of the restaurants during my stays, and also enjoyed the variety offered in the shops.

Conference facilities were good for the most part, although I did find that one of the meeting rooms was rather stuffy. Amenities include hot tub and pool - these are in a separate (but attached) building, so be prepared for a bit of a walk in your bathing gear.

Staff go out of their way to assist, and housekeeping is very accommodating. However, I found a few times that the spare cots were left in the south hallway most of the day (narrowing the hall). I was impressed that the housekeeper left me a gift - an elephant crafted from a towel an dleft with a short note thanking me for the stay!

Check-in and check-out were very quick and painless. I did have an issue with my bill at one point - the authorization hadn't been done on the company card, and needed to be cleared before I checked out - this was done via phone in about 5-10 minutes.

I would recommend this hotel for conferences, couples and those who enjoy the outdoors. i am looking forward to returning in April 2013.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DLKEA_11, Executive Assistant at Delta Lodge at Kananaskis, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your earlier stay with us at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis.

Your kind remarks are certainly appreciated and we are very happy to know that you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to your anticipated return next April!

Kind Regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

After being run off the golf course by a typhoon my mom and I proceeded over to the Delta Lodge to check in. My vehicle maintenance screen showed that I had a right rear flat tire. I have drive flat tires on the vehicle so I proceeded to the Delta. Dean Hooper was there with a welcome smile and took our bags and I told him about the problem. He said he would put some air in the tire to see if the alarm would reactivate as it could be a false sensor. Dean came to our room later and explained that he did put air in the tire and could hear it hissing out and he found a big screw in the tire. He also informed me that I didn't have a spare tire! Apparently not included when drive flats are on a vehicle. Anyway, Dean was most helpful. Upon our return from dinner my mom and I found an ice bucket with a bottle of wine and a nice card from the Lodge stating their concern for my flat tire issue. How nice was that? Wow!!

We stayed in the Signature Club Rooms with two Queen Beds and it was huge! We had a nice sleep and enjoyed our continental breakfast the next morning.

I can't say enough about how great the staff is especially Dean!!!! Thank you Dean!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for providing such a great review of your recent stay at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis.

I am so glad that Dean was able to help you with your flat tire; it was really nice to know that it did not detract from the remainder of your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Mona

Been to Delta Lodge at Kananaskis? Share your experiences!