“RIPOFF” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
B.C.
“RIPOFF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

This hotel was lovely but the prices for everything in the casino ie food and drinks were way out of line. Once you're there they sock it to you. On Monday you order off menu and the charge for approx 7 small wings $12.99!!!!!!!! The menu is very limited and the drinks were in my opinion way too expensive if they want you to gamble perhaps they need to look at their prices for the other amenities........... We did love the room. It was a treat but they sure won't see us again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
SNR_General_Manager, General Manager at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms division. I apologize for the seemingly high price on wings that you received and subsequently found that the portion that you received was indeed too small. Although you have stated that you will not return, please let us know if you should change your mind in the near future. With regards to the High prices you stated we offer $24.99 all you can eat steak and Lobster buffet, $22.99 all you can eat prime rib buffet and for the budget conscience we offer a $9.99 Pasta buffet which again is all you can eat. Thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Stony Plain, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at the resort on the way to Radium and enjoyed ourselves so much that we booked a room on the way home also. We chose to break up our drive to Radium because of the Steak/Lobster buffet on Friday nite and the casino. The price was right at a total cost of $108.00/weekend night but we didn't expect the rooms to be spacious and comfortable. I normally have trouble sleeping but found the kingsize bed to be one of the most comfortable I've slept on while travelling. The bathroom was very large with a separate bath and shower stall.

Check in was no problem, we found all staff to be pleasant and efficient. The buffet was amazing and much to our pleasant surprise, the lobster was a full size lobster tail, all you could eat. My husband really enjoyed the ribs but also enjoyed the steak. The greek salad was one of the best that I have tasted. Our son and daughter-in-law were with us and they also enjoyed the rooms and the food.

The casino was a lot of fun but as mentioned before very smoky. No problem if you are a smoker as our kids are, but not so pleasant when you are a non-smoker. Still it wouldn't keep me from going back to the casino.

On the way back we hit the Saturday nite Angus beef buffet. I do not eat a lot of red meat but there were enough salads (greek was all they needed as far as I was concerned), veggies, carbs, etc. to keep me satisfied. I maybe didn't get as much value for the price but my husband made up for it by trying three of the four types of prime rib. Again the casino was smokey but we had fun and stayed for a few hours the next day before we heading home to Stony Plain, AB .

The one thing I was not impressed with was the Peaks Cafe. Our first night, we had planned to eat breakfast before we left but there was only eggs benedict and fried eggs on the menu. I asked if I could get poached and they said it was cost $2.00/egg. Since the price was something like $12.00 for bacon and fried eggs (+$4.00 for poached) we chose to skip breakfast and eat some granola bars, etc. that we had brought with us. And other than that our stay was perfect.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Your positive comments are a delight to not only read but to share with all of the resort staff. I apologise for the poached eggs not being readily available upon your request. We welcome you back on your next trip in the area and will make sure we always have an extra supply of Greek Salad. Thank you.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

I had a great visit at the casino. The only complaints I had were the smoky environment and the quality of the food.

I ordered the NY strip loin steak and asked for it to be done medium rare. It came over- cooked and dried, sitting on top of the chips that became soggy because of the juices from the steak and portabella mushrooms. (Maybe they could try to serve the chips on the side, instead of trying to pile everything on one plate? )

I told the waiter that the steak was overcooked. He was very polite and apologetic, which we really appreciated. He promptly notified the kitchen to grill us another steak. The second steak was done right in terms of the doneness, but it definitely wasn't the best tasting steak I've had. The quality and the grade of the meat itself simply isn't that great. It was dry, tough and definitely lacks the flavour and marbling for a NY striploin steak.

Also, the roasted garlic that came with the second steak was ice cold (fridge temperature) on the inside. They didn't warm it up enough on the grill I guess. I was very disappointed with it but didn't want to complain about it again so I simply just didn't eat them. It was too bad because the roasted garlic would have been a nice and unique accompaniment for the steak.

The spiciness of the chips that came with the steak seemed to be an issue too. Not so much for us (because we like spicy food) but for another couple at another table. We overheard their complaints. They thought the chips were too spicy and couldn't eat them at all.

My husband had the ribs & chicken with mashed potato, which was a disappointment too. The chicken lacks in flavor and was dry. The ribs were dry too.

Overall, I would rate the food 2 out of 10 of all the restaurants I've been to for the price we paid. Though we did tip the waiter well because we thought he did a great job serving us.

We would definitely return to the hotel and casino, but not looking forward to going to the restaurant again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments to the level of service that you experienced at the resort. We strive to increase our customer service levels every day. With regards to the food problems that you experienced I apologize. Please let me know of your next visit to our resort so that we may serve you once again in one of our Three Restaurants on site. We have looked into the "spicyness" issue of the casino chips and have come to a resolve. Thank you again for your insightful comments which we will use to correct the issues stated.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

This hotel is amazing! The staff were friendly. Had a dress incident happen on the first night, and the staff totally came to my rescue! The food was excellent, and the casino is totally fun! I just kept winning!! The scenery is incredible, we went on the on site heli guide...IT WAS AMAZING!!!. The room was clean and the hotel was as well. Overall...I would go back....

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your exstatic comments regarding the resort. I am glad that we were able to help out with your "dress incident". It is unique and meaningfull opportunities like these that the staff enjoy providing solutions for, so that customers like yourself see how above and beyond we can go for guests satisfaction. Kananaskis helicopters are definetely a highlight of many peoples visits to the casino and as you know are located right in the lobby. We welcome you back on your next getaway and look forward to seeing you again. Thank you.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Second Time I have stayed here and will continue to utilize this hotel whenever I am in the area. Staff are polite, rooms are clean and very comfortable, and the dining is great.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for your encouraging, simple and clear comments that you provided. I have posted this for the staff to read as we are always happy when we have return guests. Being a new property we rely on repeat business and are honored that you chose us again for your vacation. Please let us know when you would be visiting again.Thank you.
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We stayed here the end of March and the hotel is beautiful, the staff and service are a different story. Not friendly at all. The service was so slow, waited 15 minutes before we were acknowledge and then another 10 minutes before we got a menu. As soon as you walk into the lobby you can smell cigarette smoke. There was no internet throughout the whole weekend. My spouse had to check his work throughout the weekend. Our room faced the parking lot and there noise throughout the night, I don't think there was any security. When we went out Saturday morning we stopped at the front desk to state the cigarette smoke was bad, they didn't seem to be concerned. Sunday when we checked out we complained about the smell again, they didn't care and they didn't seem to care that there was noise in the parking lot during the night. Not a good way to treat your guests.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SNR_General_Manager, General Manager at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino, responded to this review, April 16, 2010
Please accept my apologies for the feeling that your opinions were not valued at the front desk when you voiced your concerns. I have shared this review with our Front desk team to ensure improvement. With regards to the internet there indeed was a problem and due to our Mountain location we had difficulty resolving this with our provider over the weekend. This issue has been dealt with and we are assured by the provider it will not happen again. As our Casino allows smoking in designated areas, I can understand how this could affect someone with extreme olfactory senses. We are constantly updating our staff training program and will use your comments to add into our curriculum. If you choose to return to our resort please let us know, so that we may assure a pleasant stay. Thank you for yoru review.
calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Despite the fact that this hotel has lovely, clean rooms, I will NEVER stay in the resort again due to the way it is run and how poorly they deal with severe issues that arrise. The management takes no responsibility and makes no attempts to rectify a poor situation in order to create happy customers that may return. I was actually told that they were "okay" with losing business. That attitude is going to catch up with them when someone can go across the highway to the Delta resorts to be treated with care and respect.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
I have read your review and can offer a sincere apology for the way that you feel with regards to your experience at our resort. Please contact myself directly so that i can improve upon the difficulties you experienced on your last visit. Thank you for your favourable resonse to the condtion of our rooms and i am disheartened that you will not stay with us again. If you choose to reconsider I would welcome the challenge of your patronage.

Been to Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!