“Full Day of Awesomeness!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 15 Attractions in Lotus
Type: Water sports, Sightseeing Tours
Gardnerville, Nevada
“Full Day of Awesomeness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

AWA is operating under new management this season. We were lucky enough to get a groupon deal, and we had no problems when we called to book. We ended up on a 6 person boat with an amazing guide. Everyone was very professional, yet relaxed, and made us feel very comfortable.
Don't expect to show up at Camp Lotus and be on a boat immeadiately. Arrive early and enjoy the cool, calm, relaxed setting that the Camp has to offer. Dip your toes in the river. Enjoy the morning shade. Have a breakfast snack from the Lotus General Store and meet your guide as he or she inflates the raft on which you'll spend the day. There's a 25 minute ride from the Camp to the launch point. It's a great time to meet and greet your fellow rafters and gude. Enjoy it!
We were fed a satisfying BBQ meal for lunch. It's great that if you do the all day tour, your lunch is where you park. You can grab or drop anything you need from your vehicle, change clothes or shoes, and check email if you've played hooky from work!
The trip down the river is exhilarating! Trust your guide and you will be rewarded. We happened to be there on a slightly higher flow day, and even though I am usually terrified of swiftwater, I felt just scared enough, but still totally comforable with our guide. If you're aware, yet relaxed, you will get the thrilling and comfortable experience of paddling down the American River with Action Whitewater Adventures!

Visited June 2013

Roseville, CA
4 attraction reviews
“Action Whitewater Rafting Company is the WORST!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

First of all, let me begin by saying, this company BITES!!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR WORSE YOUR MONEY!!!! If I could give this company "No Stars" I would definitely do it.

As an avid whitewater rafter, I was thrilled to buy discount trips through Living Social and Groupon as I raft frequently which can get expensive. Thank God, both companies refunded my money.

Trying to contact Action was a dilemma in itself. The phone message states to send an email as the phone service is "experiencing difficulties". So, I sent an email requesting available dates to run the Middle Fork of the American River. Waited, waited and waited some more... Finally a return email two weeks later listing the dates available on the South Fork ONLY when I clearly stated we had purchased the vouchers for the Middle Fork. I emailed back and gave them the dates plus secondary dates we wanted. Waited, waited and waited some more as we watched both dates pass by with no response. Finally after three more weeks of waiting, I received an email stating they only were able to run on Wednesdays.... Nowhere in either voucher did Action relay that info. Sent a return email stating we could not run a Wednesday asking for weekend options with new dates. AGAIN NOTHING!!!! I started researching the company and could not find any indication they even had the appropriate permits/ license's to run the Middle Fork. Immediately I think, "Pirate Runs". Sent an email to Action AGAIN letting them know I was VERY unhappy with their lack of customer service in response to emails and phone calls and questioning their lack of a viable permit. Got a very snippy email back from "Dylan" stating they do have a permit, etc. Continued to research through CA Parks and Rec, Water Reclamation Board, etc. Never did find a permit....

This company has offered vouchers through Groupon, Living Social and Fox Frugal Fridays. They are understaffed, unreliable and will leave you "at the curb" without a second thought.

Do yourself a favor and find a different rafting company as there are plenty of them to choose from. Whitewater Voyages is GREAT as is OARS.

Visited August 2011
Beijing, China
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome Rafting Outfit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Really great time on the river -highly recommend this group for your white water adventure. Staffed mainly by Kiwis (don't call them Australians!), we were lucky to have Lindsey as our guide. The flow rate was really high due to the exceptional snowmelt, 5600 CFM vs. the usual 1500 to 3000 CFM. The day was 100 degrees and we had an absolute blast. Great lunch too.

Visited June 2011